Author Topic: Rumor/Speculation: Celtics coaching staff was in favor of acquiring Melo  (Read 5593 times)

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Trade Crowder and a lesser pick for Melo, trade Bradley for a bigger wing, and sign a big who can grab some boards and finish inside.

Maybe we can get Kyle O'Quinn in the Melo deal.

Draft Fultz or Jackson to go with Smart and Brown on the bench.

That could be a fun team.  Still nothing close to a contender, but fun nonetheless.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
Trade Crowder and a lesser pick for Melo, trade Bradley for a bigger wing, and sign a big who can grab some boards and finish inside.

That could be a fun team.  Still nothing close to a contender, but fun nonetheless.

I know many of us on here (including me) are very open to trading Bradley but do you think that would upset IT? I feel they are pretty close and might mess with the mojo more than we know. Plus then if we wanted to re-sign IT, we can kiss a discount goodbye

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I know many of us on here (including me) are very open to trading Bradley but do you think that would upset IT? I feel they are pretty close and might mess with the mojo more than we know. Plus then if we wanted to re-sign IT, we can kiss a discount goodbye
I don't see a discount in our future no matter what
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
He can score and help this team but he's a headache I'd rather have some bench player with good character ::)

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I still think it is important to keep Crowder because of his contract and the fact that he is a true SF and Hayward isn't coming here if we get smell. If we make a trade of say, AB, 2018 Cs pick, and two 2nds this year, it will balance our line-up a bit and even give us a chance to keep KO (I know this is quite exciting to people!).

I think we gauge the Griffin/Hayward situation first, but it's not a horrible fall back option.

I just don't want to trade any BKN picks unless it is a home run deal.

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

If that's the case, then IT4 goes when Markelle Fultz come.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
It would be great to keep the Nets picks but if this coaching staff wants Melo but didn't want Cousins, I think we need to seriously reconsider how basketball-smart they really are.  Melo may be easier to deal with but he's an aging ballstopper whose defense was questionable when he was young.

Mike

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
It would be great to keep the Nets picks but if this coaching staff wants Melo but didn't want Cousins, I think we need to seriously reconsider how basketball-smart they really are.  Melo may be easier to deal with but he's an aging ballstopper whose defense was questionable when he was young.

Mike
the only thing you got right was aging
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
In no world should Melo require either of the Brooklyn picks to get. If thats what the Knicks want, they can pound sand or throw in Kristaps Prozingis to release him from Phil Jacksons Bermuda triangle.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
They were passing the crack pipe

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Mike

With Cousins, we would no longer have Brown or the Nets pick (along with other, likely, smaller pieces). This fits in with everything we know about Ainge; he is all about value and flexibility. If we whiff on Hayward/Griffin, Melo makes some sense, even if he isn't on the level of Cousins (anymore).

He certainly isn't nearly the diva Cousins is.

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Salary won't match. We have to give up more than Crowder to avoid reaching the hard cap. Maybe after acquiring one of Griffin/Hayward/Millsap is the time to make that move. Cap projection for 2017 is around 102 million and luxury tax with 124 million.

We wouldn't even need to send BKN picks to get him.
Isn't the combination around 27 million in salary? Iirc Amir is 12, zeller is 8, Jerebko is 5 and rozier is a shade more than 1
Edit: apologies thought you were talking about me lol

the problem is that Amir and Jonas are expiring contracts and can't be traded by the Celtics in the off season (they will no longer be contracts, they will be FA).

The easy way to match salaries is to trade Horford for Melo, then potentially sign Hayward or someone like that too.  It is somewhat of a sideways  trade if we give up Horford but I think we end up better.  I always have felt Horford is going to get traded after Thomas signs elsewhere anyway.  I view him as a salary place holder and if we trade him for Anthony, Anthony becomes the placeholder.  The upside though is that it is a wash in terms of cap space.  We preserve the ability to sign someone but now have Carmelo Anthony instead of Al Horford.

the article on the front page implies that Carmelo's salary could be absorbed if we renounce everyone.  I don't think I would do a trade for Carmelo if it meant we lose all our cap space.  No, I think the way to look at this is which of these do you like best:

Horford + Hayward
Anthony + Hayward
Horford + Anthony
Does trading for him on draft night count as the offseason? If it does I'd absorb him into our cap, he's on par with the marquee guy we need at least for the next season and costs little assets (granted he shows up motivated, which I think he will when he finally gets on a competitive team)

I wish but can't happen..... http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=70795.0

We could do a sign and trade after July 1st I believe...not sure if that helps
Well read the text and according to one guy we actually can do such a trade (Bradley+Amir+Jerebko+a few seconds this year for Melo on draft night) since this season ends at the 30th of June, which is after draft night iirc (you can't trade them next season because their contracts would've expired but draft night is still technically their last season if I'm correct, please let me know if I'm wrong). Let's hope Danny pulls the trigger on Melo or such a deal lol (assuming we luck out and get Fultz).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Mike

With Cousins, we would no longer have Brown or the Nets pick (along with other, likely, smaller pieces). This fits in with everything we know about Ainge; he is all about value and flexibility. If we whiff on Hayward/Griffin, Melo makes some sense, even if he isn't on the level of Cousins (anymore).

As long as Melo can shoot the ball, play PF and rebound and facilitate with Horford and all that good stuff...amiright.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Mike

As long as Melo can shoot the ball, play PF and rebound and facilitate with Horford and all that good stuff...amiright.
Shooting wise he's definitely going to be more efficient because of more open looks. He's a good teammate (like really he played out of position and didn't hog the ball for team USA, which a bad teammate would not do) so I think if Brad wants him to play PF he'll do it, especially now that he's on a winning team. He can pass and does it fine when he's willing to and I think he and Horford can feed off each other. I don't see the concerns with him with this Celtics team actually being a relatively good team and with so many guys with good attitude around him.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA