Author Topic: Rumor/Speculation: Celtics coaching staff was in favor of acquiring Melo  (Read 5598 times)

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
http://nypost.com/2017/04/20/carmelo-anthony-to-celtics-scenario-could-pick-up-steam/

Lol give them Crowder. If the Celtics get swept by the Bulls, the 2017 free agent class won't be kind to the Celtics regardless. So go after Carmelo!!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I think we wouldn't need to give them Crowder at this stage of negotiations. Also he's playing PF at this stage of his career. I think a package of Amir, Zeller and Jerebko with the Memphis pick and our extra 2nd round draft picks as well as Rozier can get it done
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Salary won't match. We have to give up more than Crowder to avoid reaching the hard cap. Maybe after acquiring one of Griffin/Hayward/Millsap is the time to make that move. Cap projection for 2017 is around 102 million and luxury tax with 124 million.

We wouldn't even need to send BKN picks to get him.

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Salary won't match. We have to give up more than Crowder to avoid reaching the hard cap. Maybe after acquiring one of Griffin/Hayward/Millsap is the time to make that move. Cap projection for 2017 is around 102 million and luxury tax with 124 million.

Isn't the combination around 27 million in salary? Iirc Amir is 12, zeller is 8, Jerebko is 5 and rozier is a shade more than 1
Edit: apologies thought you were talking about me lol
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48
With the recent gossip that surrounds him, I really doubt he's worth investing. Even more than before.

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

Isn't the combination around 27 million in salary? Iirc Amir is 12, zeller is 8, Jerebko is 5 and rozier is a shade more than 1

the problem is that Amir and Jonas are expiring contracts and can't be traded by the Celtics in the off season (they will no longer be contracts, they will be FA).

The easy way to match salaries is to trade Horford for Melo, then potentially sign Hayward or someone like that too.  It is somewhat of a sideways  trade if we give up Horford but I think we end up better.  I always have felt Horford is going to get traded after Thomas signs elsewhere anyway.  I view him as a salary place holder and if we trade him for Anthony, Anthony becomes the placeholder.  The upside though is that it is a wash in terms of cap space.  We preserve the ability to sign someone but now have Carmelo Anthony instead of Al Horford.

the article on the front page implies that Carmelo's salary could be absorbed if we renounce everyone.  I don't think I would do a trade for Carmelo if it meant we lose all our cap space.  No, I think the way to look at this is which of these do you like best:

Horford + Hayward
Anthony + Hayward
Horford + Anthony

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

the problem is that Amir and Jonas are expiring contracts and can't be traded by the Celtics in the off season (they will no longer be contracts, they will be FA).

The easy way to match salaries is to trade Horford for Melo, then potentially sign Hayward or someone like that too.  It is somewhat of a sideways  trade if we give up Horford but I think we end up better.  I always have felt Horford is going to get traded after Thomas signs elsewhere anyway.  I view him as a salary place holder and if we trade him for Anthony, Anthony becomes the placeholder.  The upside though is that it is a wash in terms of cap space.  We preserve the ability to sign someone but now have Carmelo Anthony instead of Al Horford.

the article on the front page implies that Carmelo's salary could be absorbed if we renounce everyone.  I don't think I would do a trade for Carmelo if it meant we lose all our cap space.  No, I think the way to look at this is which of these do you like best:

Horford + Hayward
Anthony + Hayward
Horford + Anthony
Does trading for him on draft night count as the offseason? If it does I'd absorb him into our cap, he's on par with the marquee guy we need at least for the next season and costs little assets (granted he shows up motivated, which I think he will when he finally gets on a competitive team)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983

Horford + Hayward
Anthony + Hayward
Horford + Anthony
Does trading for him on draft night count as the offseason? If it does I'd absorb him into our cap, he's on par with the marquee guy we need at least for the next season and costs little assets (granted he shows up motivated, which I think he will when he finally gets on a competitive team)

I wish but can't happen..... http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=70795.0

We could do a sign and trade after July 1st I believe...not sure if that helps

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
I was in favor of Melo because he helped a glaring need... another scorer. Decent rebounder at the position and I think when motivated can play decent enough defense to get by.

Offline number_n9ne

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 126
I'm not great at the money stuff, but couldn't we release our cap holds on Johnson, Jerebko, and Olynyk and trade Zeller, Mickey and picks and absorb Melo's 24 million salary, which would create a huge TPE for NY?

Also isn't a max for Hayward somewhere around 30 million? So wouldn't absorbing Melo technically give us more wiggle room this offseason?   

I'd love to get him here to play PF, see if Stevens can bring out Olympic Melo on the C's. 

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
With the recent gossip that surrounds him, I really doubt he's worth investing. Even more than before.

Completely disagree. I actually think he'd be much more likely to be successful here without worrying about how Lala is settling in.

As for the baby, Athletes deal with pregnant groupies all the time. I think Melo to Boston would be the perfect redemption opportunity for the guy to get back to basics and revitalise his career.

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I was in favor of Melo because he helped a glaring need... another scorer. Decent rebounder at the position and I think when motivated can play decent enough defense to get by.

Exactly.

Add to that the fact that we get to keep BK '17 and '18.

That Melo will be VERY hungry and motivated  to prove Zen-master wrong.

And we possibly still have room to pursue free agents if done properly.

All this allows us to compete in Melo's  2-3 year window now and to compete when Brown, '17 and '18 are ready later.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If celts cant sign Hayward

Sure go for it

To knicks:  Crowder, AB, Zeller
To Celtics: Melo

Zizic
Horford
Melo
Brown
IT4

KO
Yabu
Smart
Rozier
2017 number 1 pick
2018 number 1 pick

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
wasn't keen on getting Melo at the deadline but warming to the idea this offseason since he may be more receptive to being traded and if traded, playing with effort for his new team.  provides the second scorer we desperately need.  Cost of acquiring should be much less in the offseason too (in terms of having to add more than just matching salary).  If we can't get a better free agent and next year's options aren't looking good, I'd kick the tires on this.

Wouldn't trade Horford to get him though - point would be to add him to Horford and IT.  Not sure who has to go out in a deal to match that salary to make this a feasible trade.  everyone we could use for trade filler has their deals end this year so I'm not sure if this is really an option in the end.  wouldn't move the Brooklyn picks for him.

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Im not even going to pretend to have a high level of CBA understanding but I believe by renouncing the rights to pending FA Melo's contract could be absorbed by the Cs.

I am not in love with the idea of Melo as a celtic but I can clearly see the logic of an AB + 2nds for Melo deal. I am a huge AB fan but with Marcus and Jaylen on the roster and likely an elite guard prospect coming in the draft this may be the time to move him. Next season the Cs would be able to start IT, Crowder, Melo,  Horford and either Jaylen, Marcus or a rookie at SG. If Melo buys into moving the ball this team would have a dynamic offense. Hiding both IT and Melo on D would be a problem and the team would have its flaws but DA will have a good team in place while not hurting the future by moving Nets picks. If Zizic has half of the impact that many off us hope he will he will be a welcome site on the boards next year. This combined with the growth I expect in year 2 from Brown could be enough to keep the Cs around 50+ wins with alot of very young players getting solid minutes.     
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet