Author Topic: Danny missed his Brady Moment  (Read 4341 times)

Re: Danny missed his Brady Moment
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2017, 01:38:21 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174
How come Angie didn't take LeBron????

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2017, 01:43:17 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Boom or bust picks good examples are Brown this year and Yabu. Maker was another one this year at #12.

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2017, 01:54:16 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
This will go down as the pivotal moment in Ainges career. The day he passed on a top-five player in the NBA and a player who could end up being the best player in the NBA in three years. The Greek Freak.

This is why you draft boom or bust every pick you get, until your team is almost complete. Then you can draft role players like Olynyk.

Even though you know Kelly will be a rotation player guaranteed, you still take the guy with a 50% bust chance, and a small chance that the guy becomes all world like Gianni's has.

Way back then in 2012 people were calling him a Scottie pippen type. Brady went pick #199 in the NFL draft.

Going fifteenth in the NBA draft and if he becomes the best player in the NBA that's a similar type steal in NBA terms.

The kid is everything the Celtics need right now.

Top NBA forwards younger than 28 years are:

Kawhi Leonard -                15th pick
Giannis Antetokuonmpo - 15th pick
Jimmy Butler -                  30th pick
Paul George -                    10th pick

They were drafted at the average spot of 17,5 pick. All are studs, and you can make a case that the 17th non-lottery pick is fairly obtainable each year. That said, you can argument that all 30 GMs made at least 3 huge blunders within this decade, that they would happily correct.
Draft and talent evaluation is not an easy task.

Let's talk about Milmaukee GM and how he screw up with its roster 2 times (at PG and Center position (complete misfit) until he get lucky to pick Brogdon (who btw is not the typical rookie, he's 24 years old). Now they are back to playoff thanks to a bit of luck at the draft.
People forget...
What PG and Center screw ups are you referring to?  Brogdon is not the reason the Bucks have turned the corner and have a bright future.

The MCW trade and signing Monroe.
If those 2 decisions didn't make them miss the playoffs last season, what did?
About this season, if Brogdon emergence didn't change the Bucks at the end of the season, what did?
Remember they were 23w-30L mid february. Good for 11th in the east.
swapping Parker for Middleton
Exactly.  Getting Middleton back was a big addition.  Losing Parker was an addition by subtraction.  Parker was scoring a lot but he's a horrible defender.

Middleton had a great season last year and yet the Bucks missed the playoffs.
It's fair to say Middleton have an impact on this team but he's not all.
MCW and Monroe were impact-full in a wrong way for the Bucks. Granted they find in Monroe a bench role this season but you can't neglect how important Brogdon is doing as well. Delavedova coming out the bench instead bring a lot of energy and make the entire bench better.

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2017, 01:55:39 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
the horse has been dead for quite a while now. It was beaten to death.

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2017, 01:56:31 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
This will go down as the pivotal moment in Ainges career. The day he passed on a top-five player in the NBA and a player who could end up being the best player in the NBA in three years. The Greek Freak.

This is why you draft boom or bust every pick you get, until your team is almost complete. Then you can draft role players like Olynyk.

Even though you know Kelly will be a rotation player guaranteed, you still take the guy with a 50% bust chance, and a small chance that the guy becomes all world like Gianni's has.

Way back then in 2012 people were calling him a Scottie pippen type. Brady went pick #199 in the NFL draft.

Going fifteenth in the NBA draft and if he becomes the best player in the NBA that's a similar type steal in NBA terms.

so you're saying you were fully on board with Ainge taking Fab Melo since he fits that boom or bust mentality you're pushing.  interesting.

Nice try. There was never anything boom about Fab Melo. As soon as we drafted him one of my best friends told me about him and I quote. "He Sucks"
but he fits your 'boom or bust' criteria. 

I knew he'd suck and didn't want him.  was p---ed at the pick but my philosophy isn't to always take a boom or bust player.  BPA is always the way to go -- sometimes it's a steady player over a risky player.  sometimes it's the other way around.   

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2017, 02:35:55 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney

KGLL has the power the resuscitate the horse anytime he wants.  8)

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2017, 02:38:11 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

that reminds me of something that happened in a video game lol

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2017, 02:45:33 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

so you're saying you were fully on board with Ainge taking Fab Melo since he fits that boom or bust mentality you're pushing.  interesting.

Nice try. There was never anything boom about Fab Melo. As soon as we drafted him one of my best friends told me about him and I quote. "He Sucks"
Like clockwork

Whenever someone Advocates boom or bust picks they are always reminded of like 6 busts to which they immediately act like those guys were never going to boom and everyone knew it.

So basically they advocate boom or really good.

Because when a player ends up bad it's because he was always gonna suck anyways and wasn't actually boom or bust.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2017, 03:09:59 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Hahaha Tp that's funny.

Seriously how can anyone even argue the contrary right now.

The reason we are down 0-2 right now is because we don't have a top player in the league.

Thomas is a cool scorer, but he's not one of the top 10 players in the league. Not when it counts and when you factor in defense.

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2017, 03:23:19 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney

Hahaha Tp that's funny.

Seriously how can anyone even argue the contrary right now.

The reason we are down 0-2 right now is because we don't have a top player in the league.

Thomas is a cool scorer, but he's not one of the top 10 players in the league. Not when it counts and when you factor in defense.

IT is more than a scorer to me, he is an emotional leader.
After we all cool down we'll soon realize that IT not being able to be THAT emotional leader is the biggest reason why Boston is 0-2.
I was mad his teammates didn't step up, but it is what it is, there is no PG or Butler to take over for us, which join what you said about the fact that we are missing talent. That's undeniable.

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2017, 04:10:11 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

but he fits your 'boom or bust' criteria. 

I knew he'd suck and didn't want him.  was p---ed at the pick but my philosophy isn't to always take a boom or bust player.  BPA is always the way to go -- sometimes it's a steady player over a risky player.  sometimes it's the other way around.

Fab Melo was a late first rounder, and was a classic need pick. We needed a big guy he did have defensive potential but he was a basketball moron.

I liked Green and Sullinger in that draft.

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2017, 05:35:58 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We needed a big guy he did have defensive potential but he was a basketball moron.

He was not a very good basketball player other than the shot blocking.  I trust Ainge on guards but not so much on bigs, I feel guys know the requirements of the position they played best.   Smart has his warts but he finds ways to contribute.   I can't say that of all Danny big men picks.  Some of them were niche talents good at one thing.   I would get Kevin McHale advising us on bigs.   he knows bigs.