Author Topic: If We Whiff On Everyone: Trade For Drummond + Draft Fultz/Ball/Jackson?  (Read 1555 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2943
  • On To Banner 18!
Like, say Paul George and Jimmy Butler are super expensive or Ainge decides he won't pay a premium for a rental in Paul George. Bulls may choose to keep Butler especially if they win this series and try to build around him with his modest contract.

And Hayward, Griffin, Millsap, Lowry all stay put or go elsewhere.

Kelly Olynyk, Amir, Jerebko, Zeller, Mickey all likely gone, which means we have Horford, Zizic, then nada.

Would you want to take the risk with Drummond? Fills our rebounding weakness and can neutralize the opposing bigs better than anyone here right now.

Yes, the biggest issue people have is with his free throw shooting, and I agree that's the main reason I'd stay away from him.

BUT, as I said, if we whiff on EVERYONE and don't keep any of our bigs hitting FA (which I won't mind tbh), this may be an option.

I know DET may ask for that 2017 pick, but say they settle on the 2018 Nets Pick, Zeller, Bradley, and either another non-Brooklyn 1st or Crowder + filler. Would you do that?

I think this works out cap-wise especially with some contracts leaving, but correct me if I'm wrong.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't know if Drummond really gets you much closer to elite status but I like the idea of pairing Fultz or ball with Horford and Drummond as pick and roll partners.

Not to win much of anything, mind you, but sounds like a really friendly development situation for a young star guard.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I don't know if Drummond really gets you much closer to elite status but I like the idea of pairing Fultz or ball with Horford and Drummond as pick and roll partners.

Not to win much of anything, mind you, but sounds like a really friendly development situation for a young star guard.

I think that it would make us pretty competitive.

Not sure Brad allows it, though.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

If Drummond continues averaging like 14/14 or around that, I think he does.

I think he does open up the offense a little more meaning more open looks, and he can rebound very well.

Now I'm not saying that team necessarily wins us a Finals but hopefully teams like the Cavs start to slip in a few years. East becomes wide open after that.

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Drummond is a liability on offense and not so great on defense. He's just a rich man's tristan thompson except he can't hit free throws.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I would do it. If we draft Fultz, we have a log jam at guards so I would be amenable to moving Bradley. Less keen on moving Crowder but I'd do it too at the end of the day. I think it's too early to give up on Drummond. I don't think he'll ever be a good FT shooter but he's not a negative on offense.
- LilRip

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
You didn't hear? Drummond doesn't shoot 3's. Drummond is a dinosaur.

He's just a rebounder and an inside presence. Brad's offense requires the bigs be skill players.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

He's just a rebounder and an inside presence. Brad's offense requires the bigs be skill players.

Exactly...like KO. >:(

This is the NBA, Brad, where the big boys play. You're not in Kansas (Butler/indiana) anymore.

Wake the blank up!!!!

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

If being a skill player means missing open shots, letting opposing bigs grab the rebound every possession and letting someone blow past me every single time for an easy bucket, then please, instead of paying KO 15m/year, can you give me just 10% of that to do the same?  :laugh:

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
This rebuild is getting frustrating and depressing sometimes. We have the softest collection of post players in the league.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Stop with Drummond.

I'm not building my franchise around a guy who cannot play the last 5 minutes of games since he shoots like 30% from the line. Besides Horford at this point can only defend centers. If we would make a trade for a big it'd be a PF.

If we cant make a huge trade or sign Hayward I'd just trade some players and accumulate picks.

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
This rebuild is getting frustrating and depressing sometimes. We have the softest collection of post players in the league.

All of them are expiring this year, except Horford. Just relax. Get mad when Danny resigns 2 or 3 of them.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

If being a skill player means missing open shots, letting opposing bigs grab the rebound every possession and letting someone blow past me every single time for an easy bucket, then please, instead of paying KO 15m/year, can you give me just 10% of that to do the same?  :laugh:

But can you pull people's shoulders out of their sockets?  :P
- LilRip