Author Topic: Ainge grilled on Rich and Toucher - no blame on himself/Stevens. But players..  (Read 8405 times)

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48
Ainge qoutes
The fear with this (Celtics) team, sometimes they try to win the easy way as if they are the ’86 Celtics or the ’85 Lakers team and they just aren’t,” Ainge, Boston’s president of basketball operations, said during his weekly call-in to 98.5 The Sports Hub’s Toucher & Rich show, via CSNNE.com. “If they don’t play with maximum effort for 40 minutes a night, Chicago will beat us.”
  http://clutchpoints.com/danny-ainge-warns-celtics-overconfident-no-1-seed/

This is true. The lack of effort is perplexing.

“The Cavaliers have the most talent; everybody knows that,” Ainge said. “Some people think that’s conceding by me saying that. But that’s not the case. If I go out and play golf with Phil Mickelson, I think I have a chance to beat him even though I know I probably won’t.”
  http://clutchpoints.com/danny-ainge-warns-celtics-overconfident-no-1-seed/

Ainge here is stating that we have no chance to beat the Cavs.   I think this is telling us that we can't compete, even though he denies it.   This is a bad message to send to the players.   Trouble, is we may not be able to beat the Bulls.   Could we be a team not built for playoff basketball.

“I’m certainly aware of all of our competition around the East,” Ainge said. “It’s not from a lack of desire to want to do a trade, but as an organization we have priorities and a plan. “We’re not looking for Band-Aids and we’re not looking to give up future assets. We’re trying to build something more sustainable than a rent-a-player.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2017/02/danny-ainge-hints-at-celtics-trade-deadline-plan-not-seeking-rent-a-player/

It is pretty obvious we have bigger holes than a Band-Aid could fix, heck we might need a tourniquet.    We are soft, lack a second scorer and don't rebound.   I think Ainge has fell in love with his assets.   Some of the assets have their warts.  He is in it for the long game.  Boston is a city of Champions and impatient to some degree in wanting a winner.   Most cities would love to have the titles they have.

This team overachieved once again, and was fun to watch.   But talent matters and the playoffs are a different game.

I agree with everything you said, especially about the last quote.TP.

I comforts me in my opinion : Ainge sees further than this year, and therefore, this series against the Bulls. He never had precise objectives about this post-season so I believe he's not "blaming himself" (as the topic title suggests he sould) because he's still following his path.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
“I’m certainly aware of all of our competition around the East,” Ainge said. “It’s not from a lack of desire to want to do a trade, but as an organization we have priorities and a plan. “We’re not looking for Band-Aids and we’re not looking to give up future assets. We’re trying to build something more sustainable than a rent-a-player.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2017/02/danny-ainge-hints-at-celtics-trade-deadline-plan-not-seeking-rent-a-player/

It is pretty obvious we have bigger holes than a Band-Aid could fix, heck we might need a tourniquet.    We are soft, lack a second scorer and don't rebound.   I think Ainge has fell in love with his assets.   Some of the assets have their warts.  He is in it for the long game.  Boston is a city of Champions and impatient to some degree in wanting a winner.   Most cities would love to have the titles they have.

This team overachieved once again, and was fun to watch.   But talent matters and the playoffs are a different game.
For those complaining about Ainge not doing a deal this season, this quote is key. He knows the team isn't good enough to compete for a championship and he also knows that any of the minor deals that were available to him wouldn't have gotten the team to that level either, but might have constricted his ability to do a deal this summer which could get them into contention.

Basically, he sees a short term fix as being harmful to the long term success.

You don't have to agree but if the C's wind up landing a big fish this summer with assets that otherwise might not have been available, everyone here will be pretty happy.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

For those complaining about Ainge not doing a deal this season, this quote is key. He knows the team isn't good enough to compete for a championship and he also knows that any of the minor deals that were available to him wouldn't have gotten the team to that level either, but might have constricted his ability to do a deal this summer which could get them into contention.

You don't have to agree but if the C's wind up landing a big fish this summer with assets that otherwise might not have been available, everyone here will be pretty happy.
There is a difference between making the team a contender and making the team good enough to win a playoff series and be attractive to free agents.  Instead Ainge told every free agent that he wasn't willing to improve the team while everyone else did.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

There is a difference between making the team a contender and making the team good enough to win a playoff series and be attractive to free agents.  Instead Ainge told every free agent that he wasn't willing to improve the team while everyone else did.
Yes, all the free agents that have only been alive for the last 6 months will think this.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Ainge told every free agent that he wasn't willing to improve the team while everyone else did.

We can be sure free agents and their representatives don't think so poorly.

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

We hear this refrain before every deadline. Fireworks, you know. Remind me again what has happened.

You can only cry wolf so often before you lose your credibility, with everyone who hasn't drank the Kool-Aid and slipped on the Nikes.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

We hear this refrain before every deadline. Fireworks, you know. Remind me again what has happened.

You can only cry wolf so often before you lose your credibility, with everyone who hasn't drank the Kool-Aid and slipped on the Nikes.

Lol

some fans here don't deserve Danny as GM....they deserve a Vivek or Kahn...

Goodness.

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton

Lol

some fans here don't deserve Danny as GM....they deserve a Vivek or Kahn...

Goodness.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

This is only true if you've been a Celtic fan for 18 months. During the preceding decade, Ainge has been one of the most, if not the most, active GM's in the NBA.

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

So I readily admit I drink the coolaid. However, the last few years have conditioned me to not expect a fireworks trade.

At the deadline I was fine with the idea that not giving up any of the assets allows us the flexibility to make a big trade in the future. Now I feel that it wouldn't have hurt the long term process to use an ancillary asset to pick up a big.

The reason why I didn't think it mattered was that I believed we could make a run to the 2nd or third round without changes. Now that I feel like we might get swept, I am very worried that our elimination will make it unlikely we sign any big time free agents this summer.

The Clippers pick and Rozier to me are worth impressing Blake and Hayward enough to have a chance at them.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Sum it up in three words..."Lack of Talent"

And why is there this "lack of talent "    ;D

Because Stevens only wants high character guys who are easy to coach and bigs who can stretch the floor irrespective of rebounding abilities and rim protection...and Ainge allows it.

Ainge should've shoved Boogie down Stevens' throat. Time to put your big boy pants on, Brad.

Good reply ......I think you correct ......Danny can't protect him from the big mean sassy super stars ,  like em or not the ruff ones are required ,  nice guys finish last in the NBA .....TP

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
I blame Ainge and Stevens, not the players. Ainge, in my view deserves the brunt of the blame for doing nothing at the trade deadline to improve rebounding and defense up front. Which he could have done without endangering his precious cap space this summer. There were people available who could be had for secondary draft picks and players.

Stevens may have to share some of this blame, too, since he apparently has an equal say with Wyc on player personal, and seems to abhor any big man who can't shoot the 3 and may take away from the offense (AJ comes to mind). The conflicting quotes of Danny "Our biggest need is a rim protector"  and "Rebounding detracts from offense" are a sign of possible discord.

And further, what the players think about all this--which may have affected their morale coming into the playoffs. They perhaps know the team flaws better than anybody.

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
It's funny how certain posters only appear after bad losses, and never after good wins.

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I don't blame Ainge too much. He stuck to his plan of long-term success. I'm glad he didn't waste assets on any potential short term fixes that, at best, would get us to 2nd round or ECF. He knows this team isn't a true contenders.

I think Steven's should take some blame but he's working within the confines of the Ainge plan. One critique I have of him is his rotations. Rolling 11 men deep in the playoffs isn't a smart idea imo.

The players get the most of the blame. First 2 games wasn't a talent issue, it was an effort and want issue. I get it that things got wierd with IT and his sister but that was as listless of a performance in game 2 as I ever saw. If the players didn't bring it to help IT out in the first 2 games, that's on them.

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Love it.   It's about time some pressure was applied.  It will help them.