Author Topic: Ainge grilled on Rich and Toucher - no blame on himself/Stevens. But players..  (Read 8399 times)

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Sum it up in three words..."Lack of Talent"

And why is there this "lack of talent "    ;D

Because Stevens only wants high character guys who are easy to coach and bigs who can stretch the floor irrespective of rebounding abilities and rim protection...and Ainge allows it.

Ainge should've shoved Boogie down Stevens' throat. Time to put your big boy pants on, Brad.

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Meanwhile, Ibaka with just 4 pt, 1 rb and a -16 on the court with his team down by 27.

No one is going to read this, they're too busy posting in the "Danny sucks because he didn't draft Giannis" thread that popped up about five minutes ago.

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Yes, BIG blame on himself. Again, could've given up scratch for Ibaka and/or maybe Cousins. Instantly solves our rebounding woes and added scoring.

I'm about to blame Stevens for blowing Games 1 and 2 too for poor adjustments, not firing up his team, lack of standards etc.

And of course, all the players NEED TO STEP UP. Everyone not named Wyc Grousbeck is damaging the Celtics' playoff run right now!!

Ainge doesn't deserve criticism for not getting anyone like Ibaka or Noel.  Those guys aren't winning us a title, will only complicate salary cap issues and would mean giving up draft picks and the cost-controlled rookie deals that will be like gold for teams being forced to overpay their veterans.

Passing on Cousins is something else.  If this team loses in the first round and we don't add a 1st tier free agent this offseason, Ainge will deserve every bit of venom directed his way.  Cousins is as talented as anyone else we could get and wasn't going to cost very much.  Turning  your nose up at him when and then getting your butts kicked in the first round is not acceptable.

Forget Cousins - How obvious does it have to be that the guy is a cancer on any team he plays for ?? He uses up most of his emotional energy being angry at officials and opponents instead of using it to play effective basketball. Enough with all the "misunderstood sensitive superstar" crap that has become his defining persona.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
Danny has been enamored with speed and finesse since facing the Lakers in the 1980's as a player. Never mind that the 80's Celtics size and power is what proved to be the Lakers' kryptonite. Only difference between the Celts winning five titles in the 80's instead of the Lakers is that Len Bias died two days after being drafted and James Worthy did not.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Danny has been enamored with speed and finesse since facing the Lakers in the 1980's as a player. Never mind that the 80's Celtics size and power is what proved to be the Lakers' kryptonite. Only difference between the Celts winning five titles in the 80's instead of the Lakers is that Len Bias died two days after being drafted and James Worthy did not.

Excellent post.

And I think 5 is being conservative....some of Chi's titles would've also come our way.

Bias was a mean (on the court), skilled monster and a class kid. He would've extended all of the Big 3's careers and MJ would've had his rival counterpart a la Bird/Magic.....and he wouldn't have had 6 rings.

Had seasons from 79-90....makes me sick to think about it.

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
We lack talent? Yes, in terms of winning a ring.

But do we seriously lack the talent to beat the Bulls??
- LilRip

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Lets see what happens tomorrow...its not over yet
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 11:46:14 PM by triboy16f »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Lets see what happens tomorrow...its not over yet

😁 The balance of a Celtic total collapse this post season is hanging on rotten thread.....the ship is full of water and hurricane is still blow n hard

I'm not counting any chickens ...... ;D

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I acknowledge for the past 2 years ( and probably longer)I have been in the minority of CB for the process/direction I'd like to see DA take this team. DA has been out-drafted and outperformed as a GM the last couple years and it really became noticeable right after the trade deadline in 2015. Most, not everything, since then has been sub-par and at times even negligent.

-Keeping Bass, Jonas, Gigi after the trade deadline cost us the 9th-11th pick in the 2015 draft. We were 3 wins away from the 10th/11th pick. I know he was trying to trade ET and the rest of the players I listed but after the deadline he should have waived all of them and let the younger guys develop. He underestimated how bad other teams were going to tank and just how crappy the EAST was that year.
-Remember the treasure of picks he offered for his fetish Justise Winslow....That was literally 1 hair away from Jordans "stache" to being accepted....and had Ainge done the responsible thing and waived Bass, Jonas, and Gigi THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN OUR PICK!
-He loves using players that have no future with our team, and eventually walk for nothing, to: USURP all the minutes, take development time away from younger players, and worst of all inflate our record.
-Besides Brown and Zizic he drafted horribly in 2016. He had plenty of time to consolidate the picks but even then he made horrible moves and selections with all but 2 of our picks.
I think the jury is still out on Yabu, seems a very intriguing prospect to me although that was a reach. Also he flipped 2 seconds for a first when he was pressed to trade those picks because of roster spots so I think while we could've used Davis it wasn't a horrible deal. However, if Brown turns to be a stud and Zizic and Yabu become solid players at least the draft will be a success. Let's hope for the best
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline cousytoheinsohn

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33

Excellent post.

And I think 5 is being conservative....some of Chi's titles would've also come our way.

Bias was a mean (on the court), skilled monster and a class kid. He would've extended all of the Big 3's careers and MJ would've had his rival counterpart a la Bird/Magic.....and he wouldn't have had 6 rings.

So true. Bias had Jordanesque talent and was an equally terrific person. No hyperbole whatever.

I remember how happy he was to be drafted by the Celtics because he knew he was going to be playing a ton of ball with Larry, Kevin and Chief. Just pure joy in that post-selection smile.

Too sad for words.

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Excellent post.

So true. Bias had Jordanesque talent and was an equally terrific person. No hyperbole whatever.

I remember how happy he was to be drafted by the Celtics because he knew he was going to be playing a ton of ball with Larry, Kevin and Chief. Just pure joy in that post-selection smile.

Too sad for words.
I was not even born until the pierce era but still I feel that if Bias and Lewis hadn't died we would've had another dynasty in the 90s
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline cousytoheinsohn

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33

Excellent post.

Too sad for words.
I was not even born until the pierce era but still I feel that if Bias and Lewis hadn't died we would've had another dynasty in the 90s

That's exactly right. And now I'm ashamed of myself for the profoundly senior moment of overlooking Reggie, another really good guy and fantastic talent as well as a local product [Northeastern].

Len and Reggie would have been exceedingly worthy successors to The Big Three and the grand Celtics' tradition. It seemed perfectly apropos that both were going to be wearing green for, as you say, a really long time.

I can still remember exactly where I was and what I felt when I heard the awful news in both instances. It still seems as impossible now as it did then. And even more sad. Is that possible? Yeah, it is.

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
We have the skillset and the coaching to beat up the bulls in a certain way. We have not shown the warrior mindset to make the games play out to our strengths.

I mean aren't we supposed to be an elite transition defense team? Aren't we supposed to be killing the Bulls bigs by constantly having them out of their comfort zone on the perimeter?  Aren't we the team in the series killing the opponent in transition?
Banner 18 please 😍

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
When some of you were crying for aquiring 5-6 players, some of whom are not playing now (T. Jones, Bogut, Sanders) and now complain about our front office...

Do you really, seriously, objectively, believe in your points? Aren't you complaining just because you like to?

Think before you answer, please.

Is this directed toward me?

No, not intended personally towards or against nobody (sorry if you thought so). I just feel people like complaining for nothing, I remember weeks ago people telling Ainge is a moron for not getting players that are now unemployed. Some CB users were angry for not signing Sanders, when our scouts, front office and organization had seen him working out and we hadn't.

It's just a bit of frustration when people keep this pessimistic, overcritic (does it exist?) attitude, when we are always ranked on top of every ranking of coach/management/front office/ownership. We have two very high picks coming this and next year and, accidentally (Cleveland failed, Lowry injured...), we've been nº 1 seed in the East. Our team is far from built to get a ring, but keeps improving every year. If we haven't acquired that last piece is not because Ainge has been lazy, but the opportunities haven't been appealing enough. Well, I think we all thought our team was better suited for regular season than for playoffs, and I understand some disappointment I share, but we have to bear in mind that there are 30 teams wanting to win, not only us. It's not that easy or simple.

I just think so much negative comments are not realistic, deserved or well-thought at all.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Ainge qoutes
The fear with this (Celtics) team, sometimes they try to win the easy way as if they are the ’86 Celtics or the ’85 Lakers team and they just aren’t,” Ainge, Boston’s president of basketball operations, said during his weekly call-in to 98.5 The Sports Hub’s Toucher & Rich show, via CSNNE.com. “If they don’t play with maximum effort for 40 minutes a night, Chicago will beat us.”
  http://clutchpoints.com/danny-ainge-warns-celtics-overconfident-no-1-seed/

This is true. The lack of effort is perplexing.

“The Cavaliers have the most talent; everybody knows that,” Ainge said. “Some people think that’s conceding by me saying that. But that’s not the case. If I go out and play golf with Phil Mickelson, I think I have a chance to beat him even though I know I probably won’t.”
  http://clutchpoints.com/danny-ainge-warns-celtics-overconfident-no-1-seed/

Ainge here is stating that we have no chance to beat the Cavs.   I think this is telling us that we can't compete, even though he denies it.   This is a bad message to send to the players.   Trouble, is we may not be able to beat the Bulls.   Could we be a team not built for playoff basketball.

“I’m certainly aware of all of our competition around the East,” Ainge said. “It’s not from a lack of desire to want to do a trade, but as an organization we have priorities and a plan. “We’re not looking for Band-Aids and we’re not looking to give up future assets. We’re trying to build something more sustainable than a rent-a-player.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2017/02/danny-ainge-hints-at-celtics-trade-deadline-plan-not-seeking-rent-a-player/

It is pretty obvious we have bigger holes than a Band-Aid could fix, heck we might need a tourniquet.    We are soft, lack a second scorer and don't rebound.   I think Ainge has fell in love with his assets.   Some of the assets have their warts.  He is in it for the long game.  Boston is a city of Champions and impatient to some degree in wanting a winner.   Most cities would love to have the titles they have.

This team overachieved once again, and was fun to watch.   But talent matters and the playoffs are a different game.