Author Topic: Ainge grilled on Rich and Toucher - no blame on himself/Stevens. But players..  (Read 8401 times)

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

I don't necessarily think it was the wrong decision to hold back on making a deal at mid-season.   I think what we're seeing in the playoffs right now is proof that this team was not one mid-season acquisition away from making a deep run.

I was very surprised when Horford signed with us last year.  I didn't expect it.  At the same time, I don't think Horford expected that the Hawks would balk at giving him a full max deal. 

This is speculation but I think you're mis-reading what happened. I think Horford was nothing more than a lure for Durant. He was Ray Allen 2.0.

At that point, Danny thought we had a really good shot at KD. And we probably did.

But, the chips didn't fall our way, and my personal guess is that since the day Durant signed with the Warriors, Danny has viewed this as a dead team walking for the entire year. That's why he didn't invest in acquiring role players (we have no chance even with them) or stars (even Cousins wouldn't push us over the top).

Stevens once again made life difficult by shoe-horning us into the #1 seed and the curse of expectations. But that's no one's fault. Nor is what's happening now, which is an outcome that would be unsurprising if we were the #4 seed (which, but for a few injuries and other things, we could be).

I think Danny has his mind on May 16th and beyond, and he has no regrets about the decisions he made this year, because he believes we never had a real chance.

I believe there is truth in what you say, but at the same time, i don't think Danny would make a move like locking up Horford to a long term deal if he felt there wasn't value in doing so independent of whatever decision Durant made.

Once the Horford signing happened, I believe the reasonable expectation for this team became that they would get home court in the first round and win a playoff series or come danged close, so long as major injuries didn't derail things.

If that wasn't the thinking, the Horford signing was a wildly irresponsible move. You don't made a huge long term commitment like that if the value of the move depends entirely upon one specific free agent choosing your team over three or four others.

Well, it's not like Danny decided to max Jack Haley. Horford's pretty good and will be a good role model for the young kids.

And if nothing else, we've seen a lot less "NO FREE AGENTS SIGN IN BOSTON" threads. Heck, I would have chipped in a few bucks toward's Horford's salary just to accomplish that.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
So  :D.....what do we always do when there is a problem

A Poll !   Is it Danny fault , Players or CBS mostly to blame.

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
Just listened to both clips and I wouldn't describe it as being grilled.  Fair questions, and honestly I agree with Danny's answers.  The Bulls are a team built for the playoffs more so than the regular ​season, they have had some unbelievable shooting numbers so far from guys like Portis, Zipser, and Lopez, and the Celtics just haven't played well.

Can't blame Danny or Brad for missing shots, falling for pump fakes, early threes in the shot clock, and poor box outs.  Ultimately the play on the court is responsible for the 0-2 start. 

I would like to see some lineup adjustments from Brad though, but if the C's keep playing this way what more can he do?

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

I don't necessarily think it was the wrong decision to hold back on making a deal at mid-season.   I think what we're seeing in the playoffs right now is proof that this team was not one mid-season acquisition away from making a deep run.

I was very surprised when Horford signed with us last year.  I didn't expect it.  At the same time, I don't think Horford expected that the Hawks would balk at giving him a full max deal. 

This is speculation but I think you're mis-reading what happened. I think Horford was nothing more than a lure for Durant. He was Ray Allen 2.0.

At that point, Danny thought we had a really good shot at KD. And we probably did.

But, the chips didn't fall our way, and my personal guess is that since the day Durant signed with the Warriors, Danny has viewed this as a dead team walking for the entire year. That's why he didn't invest in acquiring role players (we have no chance even with them) or stars (even Cousins wouldn't push us over the top).

Stevens once again made life difficult by shoe-horning us into the #1 seed and the curse of expectations. But that's no one's fault. Nor is what's happening now, which is an outcome that would be unsurprising if we were the #4 seed (which, but for a few injuries and other things, we could be).

I think Danny has his mind on May 16th and beyond, and he has no regrets about the decisions he made this year, because he believes we never had a real chance.
well argued. a tp sir.

i would throw in a point made in various forms up above about trading for noel. he would have been nice to have, but as was pointed out in other threads he would either be a rental, or, clog up the salary cap without being a super star.

cousins? a lot GMs passed this chance it seems, so i dont blame ainge.

from day one, ainge has been looking past this season to next year i think.
Yes he wasted a season in which Boston was the #1 seed because he wants to hold out for a homerun down the line.  Sometime taking the intentional walk is the correct move.  Ainge should have moved Rozier and Boston's 2018 1st for a player that could have ensured Boston at least won a playoff series and maybe even made the conference finals (even if the player was a rental).  That would have helped his plan a lot more than getting drubbed by the 8th seed and having everyone call you the weakest #1 seed in NBA history.

I mean think about this, Boston would acquire a rental for the 3rd string PG (who hopefully is the 4th string PG next year) and what should be a pick in the upper 20's in a future draft and a draft you already own what projects to be a much higher pick.  Boston already stashed 3 players from the last draft as well.  There quite frankly isn't going to be room for all of these players so getting rid of two dreks for a top level rotation player (if not higher) was always the right move.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Ainge signed/traded for the players on the court.  He brought Brad Stevens to Boston.  Some of his recent draft selections have been questionable at best.  If his acquisitions aren't working, that's on him.

The argument that we shouldn't have added someone at the deadline because we were not in a position to contend was debatable, and I didn't mind much that he didn't make a move (though Nurkic would've been nice).  But that logic is flawed if Ainge had any inkling whatsoever that we would get handled in the playoffs as we have.  In that scenario, incremental improvement could have been important in luring FAs to Boston.  He's going to be hard pressed to garner interest among FAs if Celtics are swept in yet another first round bounce. 

In the same vein, the players on his roster are being exposed right now.  Crowder, Bradley, Smart, etc. have all probably taken a hit in relative trade value.  Would an incremental improvement have taken less of a burden (on either end) off the current players, and in turn, helped maintain their trade value?  I'd prefer to have taken that chance, especially given the only realistic FA option is Hayward (who seems better situated in Utah now, anyway). 

« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 07:31:31 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
When some of you were crying for aquiring 5-6 players, some of whom are not playing now (T. Jones, Bogut, Sanders) and now complain about our front office...

Do you really, seriously, objectively, believe in your points? Aren't you complaining just because you like to?

Think before you answer, please.

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
When some of you were crying for aquiring 5-6 players, some of whom are not playing now (T. Jones, Bogut, Sanders) and now complain about our front office...

Do you really, seriously, objectively, believe in your points? Aren't you complaining just because you like to?

Think before you answer, please.

Is this directed toward me?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Hey Danny...sometimes the thing just speaks for itself.

Not every player is a warrior, not every player will magically shift into another gear in the playoffs. Sometimes undersized, soft, and inconsistent, is just that. 

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

well argued. a tp sir.

i would throw in a point made in various forms up above about trading for noel. he would have been nice to have, but as was pointed out in other threads he would either be a rental, or, clog up the salary cap without being a super star.

Yes he wasted a season in which Boston was the #1 seed because he wants to hold out for a homerun down the line.  Sometime taking the intentional walk is the correct move.  Ainge should have moved Rozier and Boston's 2018 1st for a player that could have ensured Boston at least won a playoff series and maybe even made the conference finals (even if the player was a rental).  That would have helped his plan a lot more than getting drubbed by the 8th seed and having everyone call you the weakest #1 seed in NBA history.

I mean think about this, Boston would acquire a rental for the 3rd string PG (who hopefully is the 4th string PG next year) and what should be a pick in the upper 20's in a future draft and a draft you already own what projects to be a much higher pick.  Boston already stashed 3 players from the last draft as well.  There quite frankly isn't going to be room for all of these players so getting rid of two dreks for a top level rotation player (if not higher) was always the right move.
I'm a skeptical person by nature. Having said that,  if we added Cousins and gave up no players of consequence  WE WOULD MURDER the playoffs. We would be especially lethal to teams like the Cavs/Warriors/Bulls/Bucks.
IMO this is the type of team that would be perfect for Cousins, especially since there is only one other player (IT)that creates with the ball. But other strong reasons:
Having a starting lineup that already 1-4 shoot the hell out of the 3, pass, having a Legit Center shooting almost 80%ft, shoots 35% from3 . The possibility of Cousins going 1on1 against centers that don't have the tools to both physically(pwerful and 7'6'' wingspan and 9'5'' standing reach) and talent wise. On our team he could play a real nice hi-lo w/ Horford or Al could fade to the 3 and hit an open 3 when his defender helps off(both Cousins and Al are gifted passers).

idk I'm kind of rambling but one thing I know is that in this series against the Bulls Robin Lopez would be a complete no factor because he would be in foul trouble and so would the rest of their bigs. Also, the Bulls front-court would be tired as hell having to deal with the skill and sheer brute strength of an Al Horford-Cousins front-court. It would be fun as heck to watch.

IT
AB
Crowder
Horford
Cousins

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Sum it up in three words..."Lack of Talent"

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

well argued. a tp sir.

I'm a skeptical person by nature. Having said that,  if we added Cousins and gave up no players of consequence  WE WOULD MURDER the playoffs. We would be especially lethal to teams like the Cavs/Warriors/Bulls/Bucks.
IMO this is the type of team that would be perfect for Cousins, especially since there is only one other player (IT)that creates with the ball. But other strong reasons:
Having a starting lineup that already 1-4 shoot the hell out of the 3, pass, having a Legit Center shooting almost 80%ft, shoots 35% from3 . The possibility of Cousins going 1on1 against centers that don't have the tools to both physically(pwerful and 7'6'' wingspan and 9'5'' standing reach) and talent wise. On our team he could play a real nice hi-lo w/ Horford or Al could fade to the 3 and hit an open 3 when his defender helps off(both Cousins and Al are gifted passers).

idk I'm kind of rambling but one thing I know is that in this series against the Bulls Robin Lopez would be a complete no factor because he would be in foul trouble and so would the rest of their bigs. Also, the Bulls front-court would be tired as hell having to deal with the skill and sheer brute strength of an Al Horford-Cousins front-court. It would be fun as heck to watch.

IT
AB
Crowder
Horford
Cousins

Cousins is as unproven like draft picks. He put up great stats on a terrible team. You should take those stats with a grain of salt. I'd rather gamble on the draft picks. I can stomach being stomped in this post season just to become a much better team in the off season. Bulls series will decide who's to go and who's to stay.

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
danny's not going to blame himself or his coach.

now, if he's really thinking these players have another level? that makes me question everything and has me worried.

for one everything going on in this series is just about how I expected things to go with whoever we played. I've said many times in the past this is a team of hustle/role players, if our starters were our bench we'd have a solid team.

hustle/ role players don't have another level or at least can't sustain playing at a higher level consistently.

but this is very concerning if Danny expected these guys to play at another level. I would never consider myself a basketball genius or even think I could pull off being a gm, coach, player, ball boy... hell I never played real organized ball just pick up games and i'm short and get dominated easily but I can shoot laser beams into the basket.

anyway my point is with my casual knowledge of this game I would think danny would at least be able to look at this team objectively and see them for what they are. I would hope that he would see that our entire front court is completely worthless, I would hope that he would see that every player on the team takes 2 dribbles and looks to pass, opposing teams figured this out last yr. and it's one of the reasons our offense goes south in the playoffs. the other reason is we take(and make) a lot of hero shots/bad contested shots in the regular season, but in the playoffs those will never fall... because they're bad shots.

everything bad about your team gets exposed in the playoffs and every yr. we've made the playoffs everyone seems to forget this esp. when it comes to this team.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

And why is there this "lack of talent "    ;D

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48

And why is there this "lack of talent "    ;D

This year your playing with basically the same Roster as the last 2 years plus Horford. Your 2 10 in the playoffs...
Average NBA players do not get better..
Outside of Thomas no player on this team can create offense on a consistent basis. You have zero interior presence, you have zero bench depth..

You have to identify your core players IT, Bradley, Horford. The rest you trade and try to acquire a diamond in the rough much like Thomas.. You cannot let fringe players stay around too long. You never get better..

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Meanwhile, Ibaka with just 4 pt, 1 rb and a -16 on the court with his team down by 27.