Author Topic: About Jaylen's 9 Minutes  (Read 1590 times)

About Jaylen's 9 Minutes
« on: April 19, 2017, 08:04:58 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Jaylen played only 9 minutes last night. Given that the team has lacked energy on the defensive end, I'd like to see him more.

I also think it's a mistake to jerk him around, minutes-wise. If my memory is right, he entered the game in the first quarter and only played 3 minutes before he was yanked and then didn't reenter the game until much later (sometime in the 4th?).

If Brad doesn't want to play him, then don't play him but putting him in for just 3 minutes and taking him out after the first mistake seems both bad for his development and bad for the rhythm of the team. Trust that once he gets a little comfortable and a little confident he can have a positive impact. If Brad doesn't trust that, then just don't play him at all, I guess. But my preference would be to see him more.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: About Jaylen's 9 Minutes
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 08:14:32 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Jaylen played only 9 minutes last night. Given that the team has lacked energy on the defensive end, I'd like to see him more.

I also think it's a mistake to jerk him around, minutes-wise. If my memory is right, he entered the game in the first quarter and only played 3 minutes before he was yanked and then didn't reenter the game until much later (sometime in the 4th?).

If Brad doesn't want to play him, then don't play him but putting him in for just 3 minutes and taking him out after the first mistake seems both bad for his development and bad for the rhythm of the team. Trust that once he gets a little comfortable and a little confident he can have a positive impact. If Brad doesn't trust that, then just don't play him at all, I guess. But my preference would be to see him more.

Jaylen has struggled significantly on defense.  However, I think there is a huge trickle down effect  from the poor play of Avery and Crowder.  The more I reflect on these two games I can't help but feel like those two have been the biggest letdowns of the series.  Jaylen's mistakes are magnified when our best players can't play to their normal standards.  This team already has a very small margin for error when we play well.  Factor in two under performing leaders of this team and Jaylen's mistakes stand out even more.

Even a guy like KO get's somewhat of a pass from me because inconsistency has been an issue throughout his career.  Role players rely on the leadership and consistent play of the best players on the team.  Don't be surprised to see everything fall into place if AB and Jae can perform up to their capabilities.   

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 08:21:30 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
And this is why Brad's "if you don't play defense, you don't play" M.O. is B.S. since the entire team is not playing defense, yet Jaylen is the only one punished for it.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 08:57:13 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Is Jerebko healthy?  Why isn't he playing more given how we're getting killed on the glass?  Also, the ball never sticks with JJ and our ball movement has been putrid.

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 09:03:03 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
His D was awful on Mirotic, he let him have too many open 3's. Some sort of miscommunication but I'd say that's why he was yanked.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 09:06:44 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
His D was awful on Mirotic, he let him have too many open 3's. Some sort of miscommunication but I'd say that's why he was yanked.
If we lose to Mirotic 3's, so be it.  I'd challenge everyone in a bulls uniform to make 3's.  At least they don't result in putback layups.

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 09:12:14 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Playoffs aren't time to worry about Jaylen's development. I do question the PT that Rozier was getting over Jaylen, but overall it doesn't surprise or concern me to see Jaylen getting mostly garbage time minutes in the playoffs. He just isn't good right now on either end of the floor.

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 09:51:06 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Playoffs aren't time to worry about Jaylen's development. I do question the PT that Rozier was getting over Jaylen, but overall it doesn't surprise or concern me to see Jaylen getting mostly garbage time minutes in the playoffs. He just isn't good right now on either end of the floor.

I disagree with you. I think Jaylen is pretty good already. He's one of our top 3 point shooters and brings energy, hustle and good length for his position. He should be playing...

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 12:18:00 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Jaylen gave us a bit of a boost when he entered in the 4th.  But it was too little too late.

We played very poorly defensively, rotated late, allowed the Bulls, in particular Wade to launch fairly open 3's and we lost the game.

I'd like to see the following matchups next game:

Smart on Rondo
Bradley on Wade
Brown or Crowder on Butler

We simply don't seem to have an answer for Robin Lopez.
Why not try something new - Could Jordan Mickey shut him down?  Cos Zeller and Olynyk have not been inspiring in the block.

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 12:28:35 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I felt Jaylen gave us a boost every time he's entered the game, and yet despite that Stevens keeps taking him straight back out again after a couple of minutes. 

Rozier came in and played well yesterday, then Stevens took him right back out again.

I just don't understand Brad's mentality.  I don't get it at all. I understand it's the playoffs, and you want to play the proven guys.  But if those guys are playing poorly, triggering you to bring in less proven guys to change things up, and those guys step up and play well...then why not stick with them and give them a chance?!?!?

Rozier made some nice contributions in the playoffs last year, really stepped up when he was needed.  In the handful of minutes he got this year, he played well.   Brown has played will in pretty much all the minutes he's gotten. 

I don't get why those guys aren't getting opportunities considering that everybody else is playing crap. 

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 12:28:35 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I agree. It probably hurts his confidence getting pulled so quickly, and he's probably nervous every time he enters a game for the first time, thinking he can't make even one mistake or he'll get pulled.

And if I was him, I'd probably be thinking, "Wait, I get pulled after one mistake, but all my teammates are making tons of mistakes but get to stay in the game?"
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 12:36:19 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Jaylen gave us a bit of a boost when he entered in the 4th.  But it was too little too late.

We played very poorly defensively, rotated late, allowed the Bulls, in particular Wade to launch fairly open 3's and we lost the game.

Smart on Rondo
Bradley on Wade

With the exception of maybe Smart on Rondo (I'm not sure Smart has the footspeed or the inteligence to go 1-on-1 with with Rondo) I cannot fathom why Stevens has not been doing this.

It's surely got to be blatantly obvious to anybody with a fraction of a brain Crowder makes the most sense on Butler, and Bradley makes the most sense on Wade.

Why he's been putting Smart on Wade and Bradley on Butler...I just don't get it.  Butler has 5 inches and about 40 pounds on Bradley, and as good and intimidating as AB is, Butler can just out-muscle him and shoot straight over him. I'm find with that matchup here and there if you want to throw different looks at Butler, or as a secondary matchup if you get switched on a pick, but that should not be your primary matchup...it's asking for trouble.

Sometimes I wonder if Brad Stevens even WANTS to win this series, because some of his decisions make no sense at all.

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 10:49:44 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

I agree. It probably hurts his confidence getting pulled so quickly, and he's probably nervous every time he enters a game for the first time, thinking he can't make even one mistake or he'll get pulled.

And if I was him, I'd probably be thinking, "Wait, I get pulled after one mistake, but all my teammates are making tons of mistakes but get to stay in the game?"
Exactly. I don't think these short stints helps him or the team. Play him real minutes or don't play him at all.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 11:00:45 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

I disagree with you. I think Jaylen is pretty good already. He's one of our top 3 point shooters and brings energy, hustle and good length for his position. He should be playing...
The only reason his 3p% is decent is that defenders help off him constantly. He doesn't take contested 3's. And on defense he makes a lot of mistakes.

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 11:25:01 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth

Smart on Rondo
Bradley on Wade

We simply don't seem to have an answer for Robin Lopez.
Why not try something new - Could Jordan Mickey shut him down?  Cos Zeller and Olynyk have not been inspiring in the block.
is this a joke. what makes you think that a guy that hasnt been able to find any minutes whatsoever, all season long, even contest anyone of the bulls bigs, let alone shut him down. They would laugh him off defensively and offensively.

Guys from 1 to 9 have to make a better effort, better communication, better decision making and we got ourselves a series.

what doesn't kill you makes you stronger