Author Topic: Zipser, Mirotic, Wade, Butler vs IT, Smart, Bradley, and Jaylen Brown  (Read 1134 times)

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
Smart played good 1 on 1 defense. So Marcus doesn't get hate for those reasons..

But do you see the difference? We got midgets, midgets that no matter what cannot stop a 6'5+ player to not get a clear look at the basket.

I added IT, and Bradley because many times they were either in switches or Crowder was guarding somebody else , which left Butler and Wade to feast easy 3 pointers.

Zipser , Mirotic , same thing...does not matter how great Smart was on defense, Zipser still can and got a good 3 point shot over him.

Which sadly brings me to Jaylen Brown, who is the most pathetic excuse for a defender of his physical attributes I have ever seen.

Wether it's him getting lost, not putting a hand up at all, staring at the player who is about to shoot and being 4 feet away, this guy is just too young and dumb to be playing big minutes. I can see how it would infuriate Brad and yank his butt immediately. The guy is so annoying on defense it's incredible.

But I said this before the series. No matter how bad of outside shooters these guys are, I have seen Atlanta destroy us, I have seen us get lit up by teams who should not be lighting us up....even with the stats behind us, if we end up facing the bad mix of weakness which we just did, then we can easily get lit up.

Wade was stroking it like he is Ray Allen. Butler was stepping into three pointers like Steph Curry

Mirotic catch's the ball and it seems like he takes a look at the midget guarding him and decides to heave it even if he doesn't know hes 35 feet out.

IT plays the "fakest" defense I have ever seen. Flat footed, turning his head at the point which players then easily blow by. I don't even think he cares about playing defense.

If our frontcourt is bad, IT makes them look Awful and terrible.

Smart is great when someone is trying to bully him, and he is a very consistant defender, but sometimes he just isn't quick enough on the perimeter and he will allow a blow by or two. He will make big plays, and plays that you just love, but he isn't by any means a shut down player, especially when he isn't really given a specific assignment and is an off the bench role player right now.

Re: Zipser, Mirotic, Wade, Butler vs IT, Smart, Bradley, and Jaylen Brown
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 07:37:32 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
have these 8 players ever shared the court?

also, marcus is probably our best team defender and the most versatile defender on the team, so i struggle to understand why you have included him here.

I dont get how you picked most of these players to be completely honest. Isaiah hasnt been asked to cover any of these guys, Jaylen Brown has hardly played and Mirotic hasnt really been covered by any of these players.

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 07:40:59 PM »

Online mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
Repeat after me: Jaylen Brown is only a rookie and have ways to go.

Even though he have tools to be an elite defender, he still haven't grasp good defensive awareness and techniques. It will develop in time. Whether he becomes an all-nba defender remains to be seen.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 07:41:58 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
Repeat after me: Jaylen Brown is only a rookie and have ways to go.

Even though he have tools to be an elite defender, he still haven't grasp good defensive awareness and techniques. It will develop in time. Whether he becomes an all-nba defender remains to be seen.

I know, right now he is terrible. Obviously he is young and a rookie, just in terms of this series and personell and rotations.

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 07:47:14 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
have these 8 players ever shared the court?

also, marcus is probably our best team defender and the most versatile defender on the team, so i struggle to understand why you have included him here.

I dont get how you picked most of these players to be completely honest. Isaiah hasnt been asked to cover any of these guys, Jaylen Brown has hardly played and Mirotic hasnt really been covered by any of these players.

Just because you say Marcus is best at this and best at that does not mean he is 6 foot 6. You can shoot over him quite easily, and he is still prone to getting beat to the basket.

What makes Smart great is he makes big defensive plays that decrease possessions and also the biggest key is his consistency , he can wear down a player because he will never allow them to get in a rhythym.

This is not a knock when I say he gets beat sometimes. Or the player shoots over him. Its the nature of playing fantastic offensive players that come in the NBA.

The rest of the guys I mentioned have been awful.

Jaylen Brown is special because he plays like 9 minutes and gets roasted.

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 07:58:27 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Jaylen's a raw rookie.  There was no expectation he'd be able to play playoff-caliber defense in his first season.

Otherwise, I agree that the size of our best players is an issue, in this series and in general.

It's one thing to have a 5'9'' lead guard.  It's another to surround him with a 6'2'' off-guard, a 6'5'' wing, and a 6'9'' center.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 08:17:41 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
I must say, IT's D last night was as bad as I've seen it. He didn't even look like he was trying. He was bad during the season, but he seemed to at least put effort into that side of the ball.

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 08:25:30 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I must say, IT's D last night was as bad as I've seen it. He didn't even look like he was trying. He was bad during the season, but he seemed to at least put effort into that side of the ball.

Which is why Brad benching Jaylen after missing and assignment or 2 is the epitome of hypocrisy.  There are veterans on this team that are doing way worse right now.

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 08:27:50 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Size is an issue for the Celtics, but talent trumps all in the NBA.  Even Zach Lowe is questioning our young talent:

The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 08:34:01 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
Size is an issue for the Celtics, but talent trumps all in the NBA.  Even Zach Lowe is questioning our young talent:

I was listening to his podcast today, and he and his guest laid just as much blame on our vets as our young talent, probably more so.

They were especially criticizing IT's D heavily and how he let Rondo do whatever he wanted. They were saying how there's nowhere to hide IT on D against Chicago and how bad our team has been defensively with him on the floor this season versus the better teams in the league, who have taken advantage of his height. Al also received some criticism.

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 08:37:25 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

I was listening to his podcast today, and he and his guest laid just as much blame on our vets as our young talent, probably more so.

They were especially criticizing IT's D heavily and how he let Rondo do whatever he wanted. They were saying how there's nowhere to hide IT on D against Chicago and how bad our team has been defensively with him on the floor this season versus the better teams in the league, who have taken advantage of his height. Al also received some criticism.

I'm glad he spread the blame, everyone should be held accountable.  I heard Simmons posted a similar podcast today but haven't gotten a chance to listen to it yet.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 06:07:33 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton

Which is why Brad benching Jaylen after missing and assignment or 2 is the epitome of hypocrisy.  There are veterans on this team that are doing way worse right now.

No it's not. IT can do other things If you have not noticed lol. So yea Brad is going to let IT terrible defense slide. No point in letting Jaylen's slide because Jaylen at this point is a scrub.