Author Topic: Does Danny have a plan? Is it even worth having a plan?  (Read 2790 times)

Re: Does Danny have a plan? Is it even worth having a plan?
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2017, 07:02:30 AM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
When Larry Brown Coached the Pistons to back to back Championship appearances with 1 title in 04 and 05 he did it with NO hall of fame players...

Playing "we need a star card" is just an excuse.. Ainge has zero b@lls in the trade market, zero. He is a pick and stash GM who got lucky with the KG trade.

Again, 3 HOF's those years and 1 Championship is and was a joke!

You should take into account all the data for making such assumptions: age when they were put together, injuries, another super team in LA, etc.

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2017, 07:03:11 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
He has fell in love with his assets and some of them are midling.  He also wants to win every trade by a landslide.  I think he has a plan but when you take these things into account is it as steady plan as it once was?

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2017, 12:01:13 PM »

Offline green18!

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 2
Danny operates by one rule -- am I getting back more than I'm giving up? That's why the early years were filled with trades for people like Ricky Davis, that's why he traded Perk for Jeff Green (b/c Perk was expiring, and Green was the future), that's why he didn't make a deal at this past deadline. The good deals, like the Brooklyn one went by this logic, the bad deals, like the Perk one, were under this logic, and the non-deals, like the Butler and George ones at the deadline went by this logic. Drafting Rozier when all of your best players are wings is this logic. Not trading picks when he had a bevy of them and stashing guys overseas is also this logic. Danny is just trying to build value and never wants to give up any value without getting something back.

For that reason, I'm skeptical IT walks in 18, b/c that would be giving up a huge something for nothing. Same with Bradley -- he will either re-sign or get traded.

The one exception to that rule, thus far, has been Cousins, who Danny clearly doesn't think you can win with, b/c he could have won that trade in terms of player value, it seems.

In general, I think this has worked pretty well. It is also well-suited to our environment where the sign the stars strategy is not going to work, and where b/c of the Brooklyn picks, we don't have to tank.