Author Topic: Demarcus Cousins is still the biggest missed opportunity in the Ainge era.  (Read 4935 times)

Offline jade88

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 20
It's just so amazing to think that we could have rolled into the playoffs with a legit 26/12 guy with range out to the 3pt line. I'm still not over Danny blowing this one, this series is only making it worse.

The dude has been around nothing but dysfunction his entire NBA tenure. Yes he deserves some of the blame but, i think he was seriously worth taking a chance on. He's as talented as you can get.

We'll get a chance to draft a good player this summer, maybe even trade for a George or sign Griffin, but what a lost opportunity.

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
The irony of it is we supposedly passed on him because Ainge and Stevens want high character players to promote good team chemistry, and the team chemistry has fallen off a cliff anyway in the playoffs.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I've said everything I can on the subject. An All-NBA player who fit perfectly with our team available for peanuts? It's borderline unforgivable.

That said, the biggest missed opportunity in the Ainge era was waiting on KG's 2009 injury, rather than getting surgery when they knew about the bone spur. That cost us at least one title.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 04:23:36 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2953
  • On To Banner 18!
It's funny, because Rondo is given the rap of being a huge headcase nowadays (like Cousins).

And yet that's the guy who killed us last night along with Lopez.

Disappointing because Cousins literally fills EVERY need for us:
- Scoring Threat (Check)
- Rebounder (Check)
- Intimidating Presence (Check)
- Defense in the Paint (Mostly Check)
- 3-Point Shooter/Range (Check)

Now here we are with Olynyk...  ::)

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
It's funny, because Rondo is given the rap of being a huge headcase nowadays (like Cousins).

And yet that's the guy who killed us last night along with Lopez.

True, and Crowder, who was supposedly the reason we totally ripped off Dallas in the Rondo deal, has sucked so far in this series, and pales in comparison to Rondo.

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The irony of it is we supposedly passed on him because Ainge and Stevens want high character players to promote good team chemistry, and the team chemistry has fallen off a cliff anyway in the playoffs.

High character ... you mean, like, Crowder and IT calling guys out? Smart flipping off a fan?

Let's face it: The majority of NBA players, like the majority of professional athletes, aren't "high character." Most of them are entitled, whiny, selfish egomaniacs; most of them celebrate a dunk like they just hit the winning shot of Game 7 of the Finals.

I don't like that behavior, and I don't want it celebrated in any way, but this isn't college; this isn't even the old NBA. In this brave new NBA, players are in charge, and they're going to do what they want, when they want. If the Celtics are going for the NBA's version of Butler U, they can certainly accomplish that, but it's a team that won't come close to winning a title.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445

It's a flawed mindset that shows the arrogance of the Celtics organization and many fans.  We don't need player abc because they are issues.  So we'll take these other scrubs and be mediocre.  Yay the Celtic way.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 02:33:40 PM by cltc5 »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
Cousins wasn't available to the Celtics for the same price as NO.  They wanted a specific player.  Also, Divac said he had a better offer earlier but couldn't/didn't take it.  Has it ever come out who that was??  Could it have been from Danny? 

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Cousins wasn't available to the Celtics for the same price as NO.  They wanted a specific player.  Also, Divac said he had a better offer earlier but couldn't/didn't take it.  Has it ever come out who that was??  Could it have been from Danny?

No. It was reported the C's didn't make an offer at all because they deemed Cousins wasn't a good fit personality-wise. I think that's the part the frustrates some people around here: Danny didn't even throw his hat in the ring. I think if we tried and were outbid, that's one thing. It's another to not even try after hyping up your assets for a move just like this.

With that said, we weren't the only team to question Demarcus' attitude and ultimately pass.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

No. It was reported the C's didn't make an offer at all because they deemed Cousins wasn't a good fit personality-wise. I think that's the part the frustrates some people around here: Danny didn't even throw his hat in the ring. I think if we tried and were outbid, that's one thing. It's another to not even try after hyping up your assets for a move just like this.

With that said, we weren't the only team to question Demarcus' attitude and ultimately pass.

No, but we may be the only #1 seed to get swept out in the first round, and by a team lead by our former player who was deemed to have poor character.

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

No, but we may be the only #1 seed to get swept out in the first round, and by a team lead by our former player who was deemed to have poor character.

Wouldn't that be an "lol" moment?

I get what Danny and Brad want as far as character goes, but at some point we should be able to gamble. If Stevens is the coach we all think he is, shouldn't he be able to handle that from time to time? I mean, this is still the NBA; talent always wins out at the end of the day.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

It was NOP. They removed a future #1 from their offer.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I've said everything I can on the subject. An All-NBA player who fit perfectly with our team available for peanuts? It's borderline unforgivable.

That said, the biggest missed opportunity in the Ainge era was she siting on KG's 2009 injury, rather than getting surgery when they knew about the bone spur. That cost us at least one title.

Completely agree on both points.

TP
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
It's just so amazing to think that we could have rolled into the playoffs with a legit 26/12 guy with range out to the 3pt line. I'm still not over Danny blowing this one, this series is only making it worse.

The dude has been around nothing but dysfunction his entire NBA tenure. Yes he deserves some of the blame but, i think he was seriously worth taking a chance on. He's as talented as you can get.

We'll get a chance to draft a good player this summer, maybe even trade for a George or sign Griffin, but what a lost opportunity.

Guess you forgot that they turned down our better offer.   

Diggles

Online Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
DeMarcus Cousins. Taj Gibson. Serge Ibaka. Jusuf Nurkic. All guys who went for relatively cheap that Boston didn't make a move on for whatever reason, despite having all the assets needed to acquire them (wouldn't have even had to use a Nets pick for anyone other than Cousins).

Ainge's inaction at the deadline to acquire a big is indefensible, imo. The hell is the purpose of all of those assets if you're not going to actually use them? What, just keep adding rookies to the rotation while you're trying to compete, forcing them to develop with maybe ~15 minutes every other game because no one wants to risk trading the potential of guys like Terry Rozier and Jordan Mickey? Or even better, stashing them overseas because you simply don't have the roster space for them? Better that than possibly "lose" a trade.