Author Topic: Starters game #3  (Read 7047 times)

Re: Starters game #3
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2017, 03:17:35 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
WHY do people want to start Zeller, a serial DNP all season long?  WHY?

When you're desperate, you think desperately and you mostly make desperate decisions. Hope Stevens doesn't.

« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2017, 04:13:45 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
WHY do people want to start Zeller, a serial DNP all season long?  WHY?

When you're desperate, you think desperately and you mostly make desperate decisions. Hope Stevens doesn't.

There is no desperation here. The same starting 5 have to focus, play hard defense and take care of the ball (less TO). The rest will take care of itself.
Where is Amir by the way?
Game 1 = 18mn
Game 2 = 8mn
Is he injured?

« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2017, 05:15:30 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
IT/Brown/Jea/Horford/Amir
save the ABs and Smarts who can attack when IT sits
CBS needs to trust his players and use them

« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2017, 07:56:41 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I don't like Jaylen against Mirotic because the onus there is on playing defense off the ball which Jaylen isn't fundamentally sound enough to do. He struggled a bit against Zipser too. I'd be happier to see Jaylen play on the ball defense against Wade or J.Butler.

I think that is easier for him now defensively. To play against a strong offensive player who sees a lot of the ball rather than a spot up shooter who forces Jaylen to play more off the ball defense.

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2017, 09:35:05 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
To be honest I'm not upset that we are losing. I think we all know this team isn't built to win this year.

I'm upset in the manner that we're losing. We don't want to be the laughingstock of the NBA and be the worst #1 seed of all time. I'm still not sure who the true leader is on this team. Who will call a team meeting, who will keep everyone accountable or get in someone's face.

Horford where are you? You've been through the fire with playoff series.

« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2017, 10:26:44 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
To be honest I'm not upset that we are losing. I think we all know this team isn't built to win this year.

I'm upset in the manner that we're losing. We don't want to be the laughingstock of the NBA and be the worst #1 seed of all time. I'm still not sure who the true leader is on this team. Who will call a team meeting, who will keep everyone accountable or get in someone's face.

Horford where are you? You've been through the fire with playoff series.
Same here, i have been optimistic for this series, the IT tragedy is a sad accident but other player can't have excuses, and that's why i like to keep Smart who shows passion/anger in the situiation

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2017, 04:18:38 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I think you stick with our starting fine, and more generally go back to what worked all year. Our starters have been OK this series--the issue has more been a lack of bench production, and the bench rotation is what Stevens has been messing with the most. If I were Brad I'd go back to the rotations he played, with a lot of success, in the regular season. We need to get this team back in its comfort zone.

« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2017, 06:08:10 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Jerebko MUST start.

Mirotic is causing problems for the Celtics' team defense. Neither Amir or Horford are quick enough to both help & recover off of Mirotic. It is putting the whole team's team defense off kilter. Too many late rotations and overhelping to make up for it. Getting everyone out of place.

The Celtics have to put more quickness on the floor defensively so that they can rotate properly and recover to the Bulls big men. Stevens has tried to do this with Jaylen Brown on Mirotic but Jaylen isn't sound enough as a help defender so that plan has failed. None of Amir, Horford, Olynyk, Zeller are quick enough.

The one guy on the roster that has the defensive aptitude for this assignment is Jonas Jerebko and Stevens has ignored him. That has to change. Jerebko MUST play. Jerebko MUST start. Jerebko is far and away the best defensive matchup on the roster against Mirotic.

Start Jerebko and the team's help defense will start functioning again.

And once the team's help defense is functioning and in proper position after shot attempts, then they will be in better position to box out and secure rebounds thus improving defensive rebounding as well.

« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2017, 06:56:57 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think you stick with our starting fine, and more generally go back to what worked all year. Our starters have been OK this series--the issue has more been a lack of bench production, and the bench rotation is what Stevens has been messing with the most. If I were Brad I'd go back to the rotations he played, with a lot of success, in the regular season. We need to get this team back in its comfort zone.

The starters got absolutely crushed last game. It was players like KO, Rozier, and Smart who all had a positive +/-. Several of the starters were down near -20.

I know I am sounding like a humongous believer of the +/- stat; I agree that context is needed. But, the starters need to not let Rondo, Lopez, and Wade go off. That is truly all on them.

« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2017, 07:12:29 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Jerebko MUST start.

I don't disagree with you, though I think it will be Kelly over Amir as the only change.

Jerebko was so heated at the end of Game 2.  He played 4 minutes in Game 1 (+5 in those), and then a DNP in Game 2.  This is when I started screaming at Brad.  You take a guy who has been in your rotation all year (and for good reason, in my view) and you paste him on the bench.  For good measure, you start the serial DNP that is Zeller in the 2nd half.  It made no sense then, and makes no sense now.

Brad was completely unprepared for this series.  I hope he gets something going with them or it is going to be a long summer and even longer next season for him.  The bloom is off.

« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2017, 07:17:28 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
People want Zeller bc he's actually good and size has obviously been destroying us.

Folks are calling for JJ, Brown, Green etc bc they might be able to get hot if given the chance.

Outside of IT, game 1, and flashes from Al, AB and Smart, the starters have stunk. Straight up.

« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2017, 07:20:07 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Jerebko MUST start.

Mirotic is causing problems for the Celtics' team defense. Neither Amir or Horford are quick enough to both help & recover off of Mirotic. It is putting the whole team's team defense off kilter. Too many late rotations and overhelping to make up for it. Getting everyone out of place.

The Celtics have to put more quickness on the floor defensively so that they can rotate properly and recover to the Bulls big men. Stevens has tried to do this with Jaylen Brown on Mirotic but Jaylen isn't sound enough as a help defender so that plan has failed. None of Amir, Horford, Olynyk, Zeller are quick enough.

The one guy on the roster that has the defensive aptitude for this assignment is Jonas Jerebko and Stevens has ignored him. That has to change. Jerebko MUST play. Jerebko MUST start. Jerebko is far and away the best defensive matchup on the roster against Mirotic.

And once the team's help defense is functioning and in proper position after shot attempts, then they will be in better position to box out and secure rebounds thus improving defensive rebounding as well.

Pretty much this.

He also gives IT and Al much more spacing in the paint to work with.

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2017, 07:29:46 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
Jerebko MUST start.

Completely agree.

One of the most frustrating things about game 2 was getting torched by Mirotic and Zipser, which is completely inexcusable in a playoff game.  Brad failed to adjust the entire game.   What's worse is that we haven't been able to exploit either of these players on the offensive end - i.e. if Mirotic is matched up on Horford, then we need to take advantage of that.  Horford was remarkably ineffective in doing that and he deserves to be called out for it.

If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.  It's not like anything else has so far.

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2017, 11:39:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2017, 11:46:17 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
http://cdn.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/19204403/isaiah-thomas-boston-celtics-expected-back-game-3-first-round-series

Why is IT4 rushing back for game 3 ?

Be with your family ...
its Isaiah's choice. No one else can hoep to understand what the best choice is for him.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.