Author Topic: Starters game #3  (Read 7055 times)

Re: Starters game #3
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 01:07:27 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Honestly I think Jonas would probably make sense to start.  It sucks that we even need to talk about this option but Jonas has a lot of defensive versatility.  His shot has been a lost cause since the broken nose but the truth is that nobody is making shots in this series.  He is one of the few players in our front court that can impact both ends of the court.  I would take a chance and hope that he can play well with the starting lineup like he did last postseason.

I might start Zeller and then make a quick move for Jerebko if Lopez gets in foul trouble. Zeller is probably the better match with Lopez, Jerebko probably matches up better against the bench.

Amir can get some rest for the next round.

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 01:11:24 PM »

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48
I don't think people realize how truly dumb Jaylen is right now

He is one of the dumbest players I have ever seen.

Dumb is a bit of a hard word but I agree he still does big defensive mistakes. I think he broke our rythm yesterday. I can get why you start him but honestly, if you wanna change, put Smart instead. He deserved it, he played well, with his guts and can defend the 3. He will help rebounding and hustling. Try that if you want some change

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 01:13:34 PM »

Offline jakeopp

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
I think it's pretty obvious where Jaylen is going to spend the rest of the playoffs, the bench.

Brad gave him 9 minutes yesterday & in that time he made mistakes on defense and fired up a pair of horrible bricks from the 3pt line, at a time in the game when we needed to just slow the game down and focus on ball movement & getting some shots in the paint.

The kid isn't fixing any of our problems in this series, and contrary to poplar belief he's not a good NBA player at all right now.

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2017, 01:15:50 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

He's been really, really bad in the first two games, especially on the defensive end.

Cannot afford to start him.

I agree about Brown's play so far, but I'd still be inclined to start him and play him real minutes.  Let him play through the mistakes.  I know it won't happen but it's just what I'd like to see.  I think if anyone believed we had a chance to beat the Cav's they don't think so anymore.   We are going to make a lot of changes to the team in the next 2-3 years and despite his rookie growing pains, Brown looks like a keeper.  We need to get him minutes.  I thought we would beat Chicago in 5 games, 6 at worst.  Now I want to see us start to develop some of the talent we've been hording.   I say give real minutes to Brown and Rozier, let the kids really feel some playoff ball.  If we loose we loose, so be it.  We're not winning a title this year anyway.  Maybe even give Mickey some run.  There is a really good chance we don't keep him, so maybe take one last look before we release him to free up money for free agency.   

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2017, 01:35:07 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
We have to let Jaylen play through the fire like Rozier did last year. That's the only way you see what they're worth. I would tell him, don't worry about your offense, we need your defensive ability, hustle and rebounding. Focus only on that and when you get a garbage basket that's even better.

Smart to me sets a tone.

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 02:18:59 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
we need players who are threats to shoot or drive. Thomas is our only one.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 02:26:16 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
I would start Jaylen because during the season he was at his best and the team was at it's best when he was starting.  It's worth a shot.  Crowder has been trash in this series so maybe switch them.  Or bring Bradley off the bench as that was the effective line up they used (with Jaylen in for Bradley when he was hurt) during the season. 

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2017, 02:32:13 PM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I guess the best argument for Jaylen is the fact that he would be playing with our best players right from the start.  Let's be honest, our team wasn't playing well in either game before Jaylen entered.  I don't know what the answer is but Jaylen certainly has the ability to impact the game if he gets off to a good start.  I bet it's incredibly difficult to play well under pressure when you know that one or two mistakes will result in getting benched.  Starting Jaylen isn't my #1 choice but I can certainly understand the logic in why some people would want to see it. 

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2017, 02:33:30 PM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
I don't think bench players would change a lot with becoming starters. We all know who our best players (starters) are and that's not an issue. We have to find our ubuntu, focus, to gather ourselves and die for every ball, cause that's the way this team plays all year long and this is how we can still sweep the Bulls (if we don't count these 2 losses ;)).
I truly expect this to happen. Not the sweep, but the change in a way how we react as a team on every possesion, every ball, every rebound. It's still all on us. This is how we play...Forgett about the seed. Let's show the Bulls who really are!

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2017, 02:34:19 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

This. He keeps getting pulled because he keeps making boneheaded mistakes - particularly on defense. This isn't the time to try to let him "play through it".

I'd go with IT-Smart-Crowder-JJ-Horford but my guts says it'll be IT-AB-Smart-Crowder-Horford.... Have to inject some mental toughness into that starting lineup.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2017, 03:52:34 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

This. He keeps getting pulled because he keeps making boneheaded mistakes - particularly on defense. This isn't the time to try to let him "play through it".

I'd go with IT-Smart-Crowder-JJ-Horford but my guts says it'll be IT-AB-Smart-Crowder-Horford.... Have to inject some mental toughness into that starting lineup.

He got pulled after like two minutes and didn't return until garbage time.  So clearly other people are making boneheaded mistakes and they're all vets.  That clip of Rondo putting the moves on KO is all over the internet, but he got to play through it.   Really Brown hasn't gotten enough court time to be even remotely considered a reason for the loss so maybe some other people need to be yanked.   It has been pointed out that the Celtics have played some of their best ball with JB in the starting lineup and AB coming off the bench. Not starting Brown and playing him less minutes then he played even at the start of the season goes against the game plan that we used to finish the season strong and take the #1 seed.   I don't think the playoffs are the time to drop a wining formula for what clearly doesn't work.

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2017, 06:40:14 PM »

Offline OHCeltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
IT                            Rozier
Brown                     Bradley
Crowder                  Smart
Horford                    Green
Zeller                       

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2017, 06:46:36 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I'd like to see JJ inserted for Amir. That gives us a bit more toughness, defensive versatility, and shooting in the starting lineup.

I also think playing Brown with the starters actually utilizes him better, along with giving us more size defensively.

So I'd like to see:

IT
Brown
Crowder
JJ
Horford

Smart
Bradley
KO

Maybe throw Green in there for a bit for his shooting and scoring. But Amir is toast and just isn't helpful in this series. It's crazy that Brad has neglected going to JJ so far this series.

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2017, 06:46:58 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Not  sure the starting lineup need to change. Im more concerned with our rotations. The biggest issue is who will score apart from IT... because the Bulls have the players to make him very inefficient. We need our own versions of Lopez and Portis
+1 the rotation is the issue more than who starts

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2017, 06:49:05 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
Not  sure the starting lineup need to change. Im more concerned with our rotations. The biggest issue is who will score apart from IT... because the Bulls have the players to make him very inefficient. We need our own versions of Lopez and Portis
yup, we need an efficient 20 points from someone.

Bradley and Crowder are the guys who should provide it, but theyve gone awol.

Kelly doesnt seem to have the mental toughness to do it in a playoff game.

Perhaps Rozier or Green can pull a game out of their ass here.