Poll

Who should the celtics let go/trade away?

IT
Smart
Bradley
KO
Horford
Crowder

Author Topic: So who will you decide to get rid off?  (Read 5611 times)

Re: So who will you decide to get rid off?
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2017, 12:47:34 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
At this point I feel like getting rid of everyone, starting from scratch, and not watching this team until at least a year from now.

At least the picks offer us some sort of hope beyond this core.

Some. I don't want to get my hopes too high—either for getting the No. 1 pick this year, or that either of the Nets picks turns into a star.

I agree.

I only see two guys in this top 5 who have superstar potential - Fultz and Tatum.  Tatum actually makes more sense to us since we could really use a versatile 6'8" wing scorer, but Fultz looks great too. 

Both guys are athletic two way players who can play multiple positions, and score at a high volume, in a variety of ways.

Once you go past those two guys I feel the potential drops off significantly - and no, I do not feel Ball is as good a prospect as Tatum. 

There's a very high probability that we don't get #1, and there's a pretty real chance that we may drop as far as #3.  I very seriously doubt we will fall below that, as you rarely ever see three teams outside of the top 3 jump up in to the top 3.   

So realistically, our most likely draft positions are #2 or #3. 

I just pray we don't draft Ball (if we fall #1 or #2) or Jackson (if we fall #3) as I don't feel either of those two guys is going to be as good a people are hyping them to be.  Jackson seems to have role player written all over him.

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2017, 03:52:49 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Tatum is also 1 year younger than Jackson. That put some perspective into draft position.

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2017, 07:08:25 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If we are going versatile Jackson will be our man.  He is a true Point Forward.

Josh Jackson is the alternative, arguably the best non-point guard heading into the NBA Draft that will be dominated at the top by point guards

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/03/16/kansas-jayhawks-josh-jackson-makes-case-be-drafts-top-pick

Here was ESPN top 100 players high school ranking.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2016

One should note Fultz  was 7th and Jackson 2nd.

David Aldridge has Jackson 1st amoung small forwards.

http://www.nba.com/da-big-board-small-forwards-2017-draft

This site compares him to Leonard

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/josh-jackson

Again clearly ranked very high across the board

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Josh-Jackson-7239/

Duke players are often system players and do not always translate well in the pros, doesn't that scare you about Tatum.   Jackson is a firecracker with a loose cannon side, and that is one of his weaknesses but that is exactly what this playoff team could use now.

For me Fultz and Jackson are the key players with Tatum coming a nice consolation prize.

I think we need an upgrade for Amir.  So I like Jackson, who many think has the most potential in this draft, is our guy.   His shot is suspect, but he can rebounds, pass, and his shot was better than anticipated, he is  better defender than Tatum, too. 

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2017, 07:19:36 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
If we are going versatile Jackson will be our man.  He is a true Point Forward.

Josh Jackson is the alternative, arguably the best non-point guard heading into the NBA Draft that will be dominated at the top by point guards

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/03/16/kansas-jayhawks-josh-jackson-makes-case-be-drafts-top-pick

Here was ESPN top 100 players high school ranking.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2016

One should note Fultz  was 7th and Jackson 2nd.

David Aldridge has Jackson 1st amoung small forwards.

http://www.nba.com/da-big-board-small-forwards-2017-draft

This site compares him to Leonard

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/josh-jackson

Again clearly ranked very high across the board

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Josh-Jackson-7239/

Duke players are often system players and do not always translate well in the pros, doesn't that scare you about Tatum.   Jackson is a firecracker with a loose cannon side, and that is one of his weaknesses but that is exactly what this playoff team could use now.

For me Fultz and Jackson are the key players with Tatum coming a nice consolation prize.

I think we need an upgrade for Amir.  So I like Jackson, who many think has the most potential in this draft, is our guy.   His shot is suspect, but he can rebounds, pass, and his shot was better than anticipated, he is  better defender than Tatum, too.

Jackson's body language screams talent. But I'm concerned about other things (he's not a shooter at all and he has off court issues).
Shall see what Danny think after a work out.

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2017, 08:35:58 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
At this point I feel like getting rid of everyone, starting from scratch, and not watching this team until at least a year from now.

I'm ready for Markelle Fultz or Lonzo Ball to take the reins.  Smart and Jaylen can stick around as the sidekicks.

Also looking forward to seeing if Ante Zizic can grab some boards and throw down some dunks in the NBA like he's done overseas.

A core built around Fultz/Smart/Jaylen/Zizic/BRK 18/ Yabu on the bench is what keeps me hopeful for the future of this team. That is the possible core that raises the next banner.
#JKJB

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2017, 09:59:16 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I'm ready for Markelle Fultz or Lonzo Ball to take the reins.  Smart and Jaylen can stick around as the sidekicks.

Also looking forward to seeing if Ante Zizic can grab some boards and throw down some dunks in the NBA like he's done overseas.

A core built around Fultz/Smart/Jaylen/Zizic/BRK 18/ Yabu on the bench is what keeps me hopeful for the future of this team. That is the possible core that raises the next banner.
after the team's performance this series, I'm gravitating towards this attitude.  Not tying myself to Fultz - just happy we can't do worst than the 4th pick in a 4-player draft so we will get someone that should develop into a starting-caliber player. 

have always said this group is a bunch of role players before Horford was signed.  they still are.  been ready to trade them for upgrades should the opportunity arise. 

Definitely need to upgrade that front court.  as hopeful as I am that Zizic and Yabu turn out to be quality players, we cannot go into next season with them as the only front court players with Al.  We have the opportunity to jettison the 4 current front court players that aren't contributing on the level that we need - KO, Amir, Zeller and JJ.  really hoping Danny can parlay those 4 openings into 2 solid front court players that defend, rebound and can produce a bit on offense.

would like to see AB and Crowder moved for a better player -- either a swing man or front court player. 

not pinning my hopes on a top FA this offseason as long as Danny makes smart roster moves to improve the team.  I know the free agent crop in 2018 looks a lot better so if he keeps his flexibility to finally cash in that season, I could probably accept that.  if he comes away with no notable improvements by that offseason, I'm not sure what his gameplay is.

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2017, 01:25:17 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

after the team's performance this series, I'm gravitating towards this attitude.  Not tying myself to Fultz - just happy we can't do worst than the 4th pick in a 4-player draft so we will get someone that should develop into a starting-caliber player. 

have always said this group is a bunch of role players before Horford was signed.  they still are.  been ready to trade them for upgrades should the opportunity arise. 

Definitely need to upgrade that front court.  as hopeful as I am that Zizic and Yabu turn out to be quality players, we cannot go into next season with them as the only front court players with Al.  We have the opportunity to jettison the 4 current front court players that aren't contributing on the level that we need - KO, Amir, Zeller and JJ.  really hoping Danny can parlay those 4 openings into 2 solid front court players that defend, rebound and can produce a bit on offense.

would like to see AB and Crowder moved for a better player -- either a swing man or front court player. 

not pinning my hopes on a top FA this offseason as long as Danny makes smart roster moves to improve the team.  I know the free agent crop in 2018 looks a lot better so if he keeps his flexibility to finally cash in that season, I could probably accept that.  if he comes away with no notable improvements by that offseason, I'm not sure what his gameplay is.

I want to throw a bit of money at Len or Noel and see if anything shakes loose. While I am optimistic about Zizic, I agree that having a 3 big man rotation of Horford, Yabu, and Zizic would not be a good immediate look.

Len has fallen out of favor, and we could take a swing at him. After the way Noel played in Dallas, he will get huge bucks.
#JKJB

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2017, 01:41:35 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Luck, that's what this organization needs. A lucky break in the draft, and free agent signing could spell relief.

If we could sign one of either Hayward or Griffin, then trade away some salary, and then sign a Mason Plumlee type of center. He's young 27, very physical, and he's 7' and shouldn't be expensive enough to hinder us in the future. He's much better player than Amir or Zeller at this point.

(Noel would be nice too, but he'll be expensive, and most likely stay in Dallas.)

SF- Crowder/Brown
PF- Griffin/Crowder
C- Horford/Plumlee
PG- IT/ Smart/Fultz
SG- AB/Smart/Fultz

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2017, 01:51:40 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Ah I remember the times when some fans were so hesitant and unwilling to package something like Crowder AND Bradley + BKN pick + fillers for someone like Jimmy Butler or PG13.

lol yea good times.  Goood times

I still wouldn't do that deal. Brooklyn Picks are untouchable imo unless you get a player like A Davis.

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2017, 01:54:26 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

At least the picks offer us some sort of hope beyond this core.

Some. I don't want to get my hopes too high—either for getting the No. 1 pick this year, or that either of the Nets picks turns into a star.

I agree.

I only see two guys in this top 5 who have superstar potential - Fultz and Tatum.  Tatum actually makes more sense to us since we could really use a versatile 6'8" wing scorer, but Fultz looks great too. 

Both guys are athletic two way players who can play multiple positions, and score at a high volume, in a variety of ways.

Once you go past those two guys I feel the potential drops off significantly - and no, I do not feel Ball is as good a prospect as Tatum. 

There's a very high probability that we don't get #1, and there's a pretty real chance that we may drop as far as #3.  I very seriously doubt we will fall below that, as you rarely ever see three teams outside of the top 3 jump up in to the top 3.   

So realistically, our most likely draft positions are #2 or #3. 

I just pray we don't draft Ball (if we fall #1 or #2) or Jackson (if we fall #3) as I don't feel either of those two guys is going to be as good a people are hyping them to be.  Jackson seems to have role player written all over him.

I agree completely. But I also don't want to get burned if Ball improves his handle and is able to create off the dribble. These workouts should tell the Front Office a lot. Typically the best signs for player evaluation is the improvement players have made since the end of the college basketball season. Celtics should know if Ball has been working on his game after working him out.

« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2017, 02:54:41 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I want to throw a bit of money at Len or Noel and see if anything shakes loose. While I am optimistic about Zizic, I agree that having a 3 big man rotation of Horford, Yabu, and Zizic would not be a good immediate look.

Len has fallen out of favor, and we could take a swing at him. After the way Noel played in Dallas, he will get huge bucks.
Noel will probably cost us a bit but he's definitely an upgrade over who we have.  Never understood what everyone saw in Len.  just doesn't do it for me.

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2017, 03:18:22 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If we don't get Fultz, I have a feeling it'll be Jackson.

Just seems like an Ainge guy to be honest.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2017, 03:52:55 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Luck, that's what this organization needs. A lucky break in the draft, and free agent signing could spell relief.

If we could sign one of either Hayward or Griffin, then trade away some salary, and then sign a Mason Plumlee type of center. He's young 27, very physical, and he's 7' and shouldn't be expensive enough to hinder us in the future. He's much better player than Amir or Zeller at this point.

(Noel would be nice too, but he'll be expensive, and most likely stay in Dallas.)

SF- Crowder/Brown
PF- Griffin/Crowder
C- Horford/Plumlee
PG- IT/ Smart/Fultz
SG- AB/Smart/Fultz

We barely have enough space to offer Hayward a max contract. There is a zero percent chance we could also sign Plumlee on top of that without trading players to create additional capspace.

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2017, 03:55:23 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
But to answer the question Bradley is the obvious choice and then probably Crowder after that. I think it would be the right move to trade Smart over Crowder but I feel like Ainge is in love with Marcus.

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2017, 04:03:44 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
So realistically, our most likely draft positions are #2 or #3

I know keeping track of the odds of this lottery are confusing but this statement is actually statistically and realistically incorrect.  Our odds are as follows:

First:         25.0%
Second:    21.5%
Third         17.8%
Fourth       35.7%

In actuality, our two least likely draft outcomes are 2nd and 3rd.  Our most likely (highest probability) outcome is 4th and second most likely is 1st.

It is true that there is a 64.3% chance we get one of the top 3 picks but the 4th pick is still the outcome that has the highest probability of occurring.