Author Topic: Catharsis: Brainstorming Summer Blow-up Trades  (Read 7606 times)

Re: Catharsis: Brainstorming Summer Blow-up Trades
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2017, 04:29:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Here are some possible Thomas trades (other minor pieces and lesser draft picks included as necessary)

LAL - Thomas for Russell, Black

PHI - Thomas for both lottery picks (its own and LAL's - so say 4 and 6)

DEN - Thomas for Harris, Mudiay, Hernangomez

MIL - Thomas for Parker

MIN - Thomas for Lavine

ATL - Thomas for Schroder, 1st

ORL - Thomas for Gordon, and Payton or Hezonja

If NO keeps its pick (i.e. top 3) Thomas for the pick

If DAL ends up in top 3 - Thomas for the pick

All of those trades make sense if Boston moves Thomas and looks to rebuild.  They aren't equal value for Thomas, but I don't feel they are terrible value either when you consider Thomas will be an expiring contract looking for a huge contract.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2017, 04:34:38 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Here are some possible Thomas trades (other minor pieces and lesser draft picks included as necessary)

MIL - Thomas for Parker

MIN - Thomas for Lavine

All of those trades make sense if Boston moves Thomas and looks to rebuild.  They aren't equal value for Thomas, but I don't feel they are terrible value either when you consider Thomas will be an expiring contract looking for a huge contract.

I would do the bolded proposals. I love Gordon. I think we could offer Bradley or Crowder for him. I know, you don't think they have much value.

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2017, 04:38:48 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
What about Avery for Zach LaVine??

Minny wants to improve it's defense, Avery has that rep. We need more scoring, Zach could be that guy. Obviously, the draft will dictate a lot but I'd think it over.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2017, 04:47:53 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
What about Avery for Zach LaVine??

Minny wants to improve it's defense, Avery has that rep. We need more scoring, Zach could be that guy. Obviously, the draft will dictate a lot but I'd think it over.

I thought about this, but the issue is that there's no way Lavine could play with Isaiah, and he probably wouldn't fit with Fultz, either.

Maybe with Ball.

I think Lavine could be a reasonable target if the team trades (or expects to move on from) Isaiah.

Having Thomas, Fultz/Ball, and Lavine plus Smart could make the backcourt look a lot like the Suns team that fell apart due to chemistry issues the year we traded for IT.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2017, 04:54:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

MIL - Thomas for Parker

MIN - Thomas for Lavine

I would do the bolded proposals. I love Gordon. I think we could offer Bradley or Crowder for him. I know, you don't think they have much value.
They don't have Aaron Gordon value. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2017, 04:54:44 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

MIL - Thomas for Parker

MIN - Thomas for Lavine

I don't think a single one of those teams agree to one of those deals, except maybe Atlanta.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2017, 04:57:13 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
For the sake of the thread, I'm going back to my old favorite:

Isaiah Thomas and Al Horford for Kristaps Porzingis and the corpse of Joakim Noah.

Convince New York that Porzingis wants out and that they can compete for a few years with Melo, IT, Horford, and whoever else they can bring on board with the money they save on dumping Noah.

Next year, roll out Fultz, Bradley, Brown, Crowder, and Porzingis with Smart, Nader, Olynyk, and Zizic in the main rotation. That team takes a step back due to their youth but probably still makes the playoffs and they have 3 building blocks with real superstar potential.

But this is all just me lashing out because I feel embarrassed for the effort the C's put forth the last two games. I'll feel better when they beat the Bulls in 6.

That's an interesting one.

Noah is the worst contract in the league, but Porzingis is a legitimate perennial All-Star talent at the start of his career.

New York with Isaiah, Melo, Horford ... man their defense would be a trainwreck!

But I could see Phil thinking that was a good idea.

Perhaps he'd try swapping Melo for whatever pieces he could get from the Clips, or the Heat.

It's worth a try.
That's been my pet trade idea for a few months. Taking on Noah would be sweetener for NY and my hope would be that in 2 years, expiring contracts have value in the way they used to before the cap went insane. Once its stabilized, that contract could be an asset right when the C's need it to be. Maybe.

It might be unrealistic but who knows with the Knicks. And I think that lineup for the C's would be outstanding for years.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2017, 05:03:14 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
if we lose in 4 or 5 games, Isaiah thomas and Al Horford simply must be on the trading block.

Lol.

Al might be untradeable.

1.) After building a rep of not being a max free agent destination for so many years, how will it look if we trade the guy who actually signed with us after 1 year?

While point #2 is totally fair, this just isn't a legitimate concern, imo. If Horford's been so underwhelming, no one in their right mind would blame Boston for trading him. As I said elsewhere, do you look at Masai Ujiri in a different light as a GM? After all, he re-signed both Arron Afflalo and Nene when he was still in Denver's front office, traded Nene a few months later, and then traded Afflalo after the end of the season.

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2017, 05:03:44 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

MIL - Thomas for Parker

MIN - Thomas for Lavine

I don't think a single one of those teams agree to one of those deals, except maybe Atlanta.

I don't even think Atlanta would.

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2017, 05:17:30 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

MIL - Thomas for Parker

MIN - Thomas for Lavine

Thomas for Lavine is highway robbery. No way Minny turns that down.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2017, 05:21:27 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff

MIL - Thomas for Parker

MIN - Thomas for Lavine

Thomas' contract will be expiring next season and Minnesota just finished a 13th consecutive lottery season. No reason to believe Minnesota could actually keep him.

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2017, 05:22:57 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
if we lose in 4 or 5 games, Isaiah thomas and Al Horford simply must be on the trading block.

Lol.

Al might be untradeable.

1.) After building a rep of not being a max free agent destination for so many years, how will it look if we trade the guy who actually signed with us after 1 year?

While point #2 is totally fair, this just isn't a legitimate concern, imo. If Horford's been so underwhelming, no one in their right mind would blame Boston for trading him. As I said elsewhere, do you look at Masai Ujiri in a different light as a GM? After all, he re-signed both Arron Afflalo and Nene when he was still in Denver's front office, traded Nene a few months later, and then traded Afflalo after the end of the season.

I don't see the Ujiri comparison, he resigned his own guys. We're talking about convincing max free agents to sign here.

We've already heard the critiques against Boston: bad weather, high state income tax, the perception that it's still a racist city (don't want to get on a tangent with this last point, but that's still a very real belief and for a league that's predominantly black, it's a negative). I just don't think we have enough allure to forfeit credibility. How can you pitch a guy that he's a long term building block for your franchise when you bailed on the last guy and had him uproot his family again a year into it?

If perception didn't play a role in attracting quality FA's, the Lakers and Knicks would've had a lot more FA success in recent years than they have.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2017, 05:27:03 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

MIL - Thomas for Parker

MIN - Thomas for Lavine

Thomas' contract will be expiring next season and Minnesota just finished a 13th consecutive lottery season. No reason to believe Minnesota could actually keep him.
and Lavine just tore an ACL and appears to have had a negative impact on winning. Plus he is also expiring next year and will want a big contract.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2017, 05:28:33 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

MIL - Thomas for Parker

MIN - Thomas for Lavine

That, and Thomas doesn't really fit their timeline. Minny is also already a team that has some go-to scorers in Towns and Wiggins (and Lavine, to a lesser degree) so bringing in a PG who scores but can't be trusted on defense doesn't make a lot of sense for them, to me.

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2017, 05:29:44 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff

MIL - Thomas for Parker

MIN - Thomas for Lavine

and Lavine just tore an ACL and appears to have had a negative impact on winning. Plus he is also expiring next year and will want a big contract.

LaVine will be a restricted free agent, so Minnesota can keep him if they want to. Not only that, but his max contract won't be even close to Isaiah's. Not the same situation at all. Not to mention LaVine fits in Minnesota's timeline far better.

Lol.

Al might be untradeable.

I don't see the Ujiri comparison, he resigned his own guys. We're talking about convincing max free agents to sign here.

We've already heard the critiques against Boston: bad weather, high state income tax, the perception that it's still a racist city (don't want to get on a tangent with this last point, but that's still a very real belief and for a league that's predominantly black, it's a negative). I just don't think we have enough allure to forfeit credibility. How can you pitch a guy that he's a long term building block for your franchise when you bailed on the last guy and had him uproot his family again a year into it?

If perception didn't play a role in attracting quality FA's, the Lakers and Knicks would've had a lot more FA success in recent years than they have.

I mean, I think most but the most homerific of Celtics' fans would agree that Horford hasn't lived up to the billing you'd expect from the contract he signed. He's been good, but not $113 million "great." Fair point on convincing other teams' FA, but I still don't see an issue with dumping an underperforming guy. It happens. As much as players sympathize with one another, I'd imagine that most also understand that if you don't perform, you become expendable.