Author Topic: We're Probably Also Costing Ourselves A Chance At Hayward/Griffin Here...  (Read 2175 times)

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3016
  • On To Banner 18!
If the Celtics go out in the first round (which it seems will happen), why would those guys leave more $$$ to come to a team that was a first round exit?

Looks like Danny will have to make some trades and/or make the draft pick (Please Fultz!)

Now if Danny ends up re-signing Olynyk I might actually have questions about the progress of the team. I'm done even trying to defend KO's lackluster, soft performances...
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 322
I don't really want Hayward or Griffin. So this wouldn't be a bad thing.

I want the next star on a rookie deal. The Celtics are set up to pick them in the next two drafts.

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Hayward I fear could be another softie that may play well during the year but pull a Kelly in the playoffs.

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
I don't really want Hayward or Griffin. So this wouldn't be a bad thing.

I want the next star on a rookie deal. The Celtics are set up to pick them in the next two drafts.

Still think they need to make some trade.

Excess of guards if Fultz is drafted, trade Bradley+ for value (preferably a BIG). Seeing these playoffs I CERTAINLY wouldn't mind that.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1772
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I was thinking the same thing.  We could probably make some kind of free agent signing, but it's not going to be one that we want.

If we actually get swept in the series, it won't really matter anyway whether or not Hayward/Griffin sign with us. I think Danny will be trading anyone and everyone to set up the future, not compete with this current group. We all knew a decision on the direction on this team needed to eventually be made. It may be an easier decision than we all thought it would be.

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Hayward I fear could be another softie that may play well during the year but pull a Kelly in the playoffs.

Maybe, he's certainly better than Crowder on the offensive end.

So far though Hayward's shot poorly (averaging 19.5 PPG in 2 games at 35% shooting)

But his 20 points last night would have tied the Celtics leading scorer yesterday. WOOF.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1772
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I get it, KO wasn't awesome in game 1, but he, Rozier, and Zeller are the only players to post a + in +/- last night. A few of those 7 assists were a thing of beauty and he actually hit shots that mattered (at the time). KO is a finesse player who needs to play next to a bruiser - it's not his fault there isn't one on our current roster.

He is like the 7th/8th man on this team - I seriously don't understand what it is people don't like about him. Sorry he is not muscular, explosive, and super-intense. The thing is, those types of guys rarely have the skills and touch that KO has. People need to get over the fact that we didn't select Giannis.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
This team is costing themselves more than that.

I doubt this core group has many games left playing with one another.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Nobody is gonn want these scrubs via trade so forget any decent trade rumors.  Great planning Danny

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Nobody is gonn want these scrubs via trade so forget any decent trade rumors.  Great planning Danny

Bradley and Crowder will still be valuable trade chips this summer.

Time to get younger and bigger.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Honestly do you think either Hayward or Griffin will really put this team into championship contention?

I see two options:
1. Put top picks together to package for a true All NBA player ... and that is tough because there are 8-10 total in the league
2. Keep drafting these Nets picks hoping these drafts are as strong as they seem to be and have cap space to resign IT..

If The Celtics keep shelling out max contracts to these upper mid level players, who are approaching 30 years old they will eventually be crippled... LOOK AT HORFORD, wait till the criticism he will get in years 3-4!

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557
I was thinking the same thing.  We could probably make some kind of free agent signing, but it's not going to be one that we want.

If we actually get swept in the series, it won't really matter anyway whether or not Hayward/Griffin sign with us. I think Danny will be trading anyone and everyone to set up the future, not compete with this current group. We all knew a decision on the direction on this team needed to eventually be made. It may be an easier decision than we all thought it would be.
we all knew. What board have you been on? I've been saying all season that this summer is the time when the team needed to pick a direction and no one agreed with me.  It appears people are finally coming around. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Well from the Sirius XM NBA channels I have been listening to Hayward was terrible last night and playing little to no defense. So my point is he is probably PERFECT for this team and Brad. We should pay him max dollars like Al.