Author Topic: we have a bunch of little "jerks" on our team...Jae calls out IT, are we a team?  (Read 4640 times)

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
I just think it's sad that IT can't defend Rondo and blames help defense not being in position when he gets beat. I am ready to keep IT on the bench whenever Rondo is on the Court. It's painful to watch.

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
This is no longer a team.  When Stevens allowed it to become the IT show we were done.  Last year we jelled because we spread the wealth.  Someone didn't have the balls to say look Isaiah distribute more or be the 6th man.  When one guy is the team the your kinda outnumbered against your five squad opponent.  Look at Chicago, everyone was involved.  That's why I said smarts growth has been stunted and now brown is missing minutes because the organization is too afraid to take risks.  And sorry no help is coming soon because we'll have he same sloths next year eating up minutes where we should be developing players.

major Tommy Point
TP to both of you.
I stopped posting regularly on this forum because DA's moves were literally giving me health problems. This team was never built to win in the playoffs. It is meant to overachieve in the regular season and then get pounded in the playoffs when opposing teams/players step up...especially when you have 1 player that can create his own offense...and they are 5'9''

The downfall of this team started right after the trade deadline 2015. I will always say that DA was negligent by keeping:Bass, Jonas, Gigi. I'm even giving him the benefit of the doubt that he could not find a trade for ET/Sully. Keeping Bass, Jonas, and Gigi had us miss the 11th pick in the draft by 3 wins and instead put us in the playoffs for a clean sweep.

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
It is tough to have good chemistry when you're facing adversity off the court and on the court.

That said, I too am disappointed that this team hasn't shown more mental toughness.  You want to see your team come together in times like this, not be at one another's throats.

And again, I know this is the topic du jour of the day, but Brad Stevens bears some responsibility for what is happening with this team's chemistry now that they are facing some major adversity.  It's not a good look.
I agree....Its more on DA though too me.  We have no big man presence inside at all and its been that way since DA traded Perk.  He had a chance to get a rebounder for minimal assets and he sat on his hands.  Now we see the real team out there against tough seasoned vets who have been there before. 
This team is soft and soft doesn't win playoff basketball games.  They have no inside game and no toughness in the paint. Example: Amir is pitiful, he makes Lopez look like a hall of famer.  But there lies the problem, he is a back up 4 playing center.  Until DA decides tough big men are valuable this club is doomed. 
We all knew they weren't winning the east and certainly not the title.  Perhaps now DA will rethink his current roster and structure this team correctly with quality big men in order to build a true contender.
Yup.  I have been saying that for a couple of days here.  I learned nothing new from the 2 losses.

I've been saying it for years. The Celtics weren't great rebounders even when they had Perk and KG, and they've been mostly awful since then. You have to have size to win in the postseason; it's that simple. Danny thinks we can win with undersized bigs and undersized guards. Never gonna happen.
Exactly!!!!  My question is, why does DA think this way?  He played with some of the better big men ever (Bird, McHale, Parish).  The league hasn't changed that much, you still need quality rebounding big men to win championships.  We have zero on the team right now and it is exposed big time in the playoffs.

Either Rivers rubbed off Ainge or Ainge rubbed off Rivers, but I remember when Rivers was coach and he did not believe in rebounding either.

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Fine by me scolding Smart - the guy has terrible attitude, and I'm honestly getting sick of seeing it.

AB was basically pining for Rondo's leadership in the post-game.

This is where Al's laid-back nature is a problem. This team needs a guy who can lead on both ends. Al has the game and the experience to do it, but he's not stepping into the void.

Avery Bradley is quite literally the closest thing we have to veteran leader right now - he leads in the locker room by saying what needs to be said, and he leads on the court by playing as hard as anybody else out there every night.

It's ironic that Boston signed Horford specifically for his veteran savvy and leadership - but he offers none of that.  He's too [dang] soft.  I'm sure hes great at making pop talks and telling everybody to just stay positive and all that nice guy stuff, but we need somebody who will call guys out when they aren't pulling their weight, or when they make stupid play, so that they don't make the same stupid mistake again.

I thought maybe Amir would be that guy, but he seems to be too nice too.  Horford is too soft. Stevens is too soft.  Everybody else on our team is too young. 

This is part of why I was actually ok with the idea of trading for Carmelo.  Because no matter what anybody says, that guy plays with heart and with passion.  There is no way he would ever be out there on the court looking defeated, believing that the game was over with 10 minutes still to play.  He could be down by 10 with 3 minutes left, and in his head the game still isn't over. We need guys like that.

And the best part is that other guys on the roster would buy in to that, because everybody knows that Carmelo is the type of guy who COULD score 15 points in 3 minutes, single handedly, so when you have a guy like that on your team nobody ever believes the game is over until its over.

It is tough to have good chemistry when you're facing adversity off the court and on the court.

That said, I too am disappointed that this team hasn't shown more mental toughness.  You want to see your team come together in times like this, not be at one another's throats.

And again, I know this is the topic du jour of the day, but Brad Stevens bears some responsibility for what is happening with this team's chemistry now that they are facing some major adversity.  It's not a good look.
I agree....Its more on DA though too me.  We have no big man presence inside at all and its been that way since DA traded Perk.  He had a chance to get a rebounder for minimal assets and he sat on his hands.  Now we see the real team out there against tough seasoned vets who have been there before. 
This team is soft and soft doesn't win playoff basketball games.  They have no inside game and no toughness in the paint. Example: Amir is pitiful, he makes Lopez look like a hall of famer.  But there lies the problem, he is a back up 4 playing center.  Until DA decides tough big men are valuable this club is doomed. 
We all knew they weren't winning the east and certainly not the title.  Perhaps now DA will rethink his current roster and structure this team correctly with quality big men in order to build a true contender.
Yup.  I have been saying that for a couple of days here.  I learned nothing new from the 2 losses.

I've been saying it for years. The Celtics weren't great rebounders even when they had Perk and KG, and they've been mostly awful since then. You have to have size to win in the postseason; it's that simple. Danny thinks we can win with undersized bigs and undersized guards. Never gonna happen.
Exactly!!!!  My question is, why does DA think this way?  He played with some of the better big men ever (Bird, McHale, Parish).  The league hasn't changed that much, you still need quality rebounding big men to win championships.  We have zero on the team right now and it is exposed big time in the playoffs.

It's ridiculous. 

For years on end now we have needed a starting calibre big man with legit size who can rebound and protect the paint at a capable level.  He doesn't need to be a 12 rebound a night guy, he doesn't have to block 3 shots a game - he just needs to be capable.  A 6'11" - 7'0" guy who can give us 9 rebounds and 1.5 blocks in 30 minutes would be perfectly fine to start alongside a smaller and more skilled big like Horford.

Dwight Howard would have been the perfect person for us at center.  At 6'11" / 265 lbs he gives you a legit presence in the paint, and his averages of 13 points, 13 rebounds and 1.2 blocks combined with his physicality would have given us a dominant presence in the post - even at his current point in his career.  Plus he's the same age as Horford and actually ended up signed for less money...

Greg Monroe would have been great too. He's not exactly Perk tough, and his defence isn't great...but he is big, he is physical, he's an exceptional rebounder, and he's a dominant scorer in the paint.  He's somebody who would demand double teams every time he touches the ball, and he's somebody that Robin Lopez would never be able to outplay two games in a row.

Nerlens Noel honestly would have been a decent fit too.  Good rim protector who can also switch on to quicker players, good (if not great) rebounder, and lots of upside.

I've no doubts we could have had any one of those guys if we wanted them, for a fair price, but Danny is happy playing soft-as-pillows Horford and too-old-to-play-extended-minutes Amir.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 12:20:11 AM by crimson_stallion »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
This is how a team acts when it's being embarrassed on national TV for the second night in a row. Fingers begin to point.

"Their length bothered us" I'm just so tired of hearing Stevens say these words for the last three seasons.

Can we please try to put a team on the floor with talented, normal size and length please.

I've never understood the logic: "Let's play small ball" but "their length bothered us." Umm, no duh. If you're small, and the other team is big, you're probably gonna have problems.

One of the problems with today's NBA is everybody follows the leader like a bunch of sheep, never taking into consideration all the factors involving the leader. In this case, the Heat won a couple of titles with small ball, and, to a bit lesser extent, the Warriors did so once.

But those teams had/have LeBron James—maybe the best player ever—and Steph Curry—maybe the best shooter ever. That means their teams can do things differently, in a way that's not gonna work for anyone else. But what does everyone else do? "Uh, yeah, let's copy what those guys do, even though we don't have the right pieces to do it. Yeah! Let's do that!"
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!
Doesn't matter. Team will look vastly different next year anyways. Mental side of this team has shown itself all year.