Author Topic: Marcus "Middle Finger" Smart  (Read 6407 times)

Re: Marcus "Middle Finger" Smart
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2017, 06:12:38 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
I have been a solid Marcus supporter all along but this is not OK.  You can have fire and be competitive without flipping off fans.  I have no sympathy for him on this one.  If I was the coach and a player did this, I would have him do wind sprints until he puked.  Marcus was fined by the NBA but the Celtics may need to do something too.

I wish Stevens had a bit more fire like Smart and IT have instead of being such a softy himself. Hell, I wish he had a bit more Fizdale in him. Brad is too soft on this team, and it's no wonder why this team is playing so soft now with such a soft coach.

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2017, 06:14:26 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I have been a solid Marcus supporter all along but this is not OK.  You can have fire and be competitive without flipping off fans.  I have no sympathy for him on this one.  If I was the coach and a player did this, I would have him do wind sprints until he puked.  Marcus was fined by the NBA but the Celtics may need to do something too.

I wish Stevens had a bit more fire like Smart and IT have instead of being such a softy himself. Hell, I wish he had a bit more Fizdale in him. Brad is too soft on this team, and it's no wonder why this team is playing so soft now with such a soft coach.
I loved that Fizdale rant. I don't know if he was right or wrong but I think it could've only helped his team going into the next game.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2017, 06:20:19 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

I loved that Fizdale rant. I don't know if he was right or wrong but I think it could've only helped his team going into the next game.

Yeah, I think the coach/ref rant is underplayed. Even if it's just a subconscious edge in the mind of the refs that it gives you in the next game, I think it's worth it in certain circumstances.

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2017, 06:25:02 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Yeah, I think the coach/ref rant is underplayed. Even if it's just a subconscious edge in the mind of the refs that it gives you in the next game, I think it's worth it in certain circumstances.
I love the Grizzlies man.

Tony Allen, Mike Conley, this dude coaching, Marc Gasol, even Jaymychal green and Randolph are my kind of players.

they grind grind grind.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2017, 06:27:49 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
At least it was just a finger to a fan and he didn't go unto the stands again

But now he has a history of interactions with fans

The Ron Artest comparison intensifies. Let's just hope Marcus doesn't have a Malice in the Palace in hin and be driven to change his name to World B. Peace or whatever.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2017, 06:40:41 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
dumb irresponsible fans...the player is only wrong some of the time in these circumstances.
Hope Marcus can re-focus though and agree he needs to ignore fans.  There's no way to shut up the idiots of the world...

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2017, 06:42:49 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
dumb irresponsible fans...the player is only wrong some of the time in these circumstances.
Hope Marcus can re-focus though and agree he needs to ignore fans.  There's no way to shut up the idiots of the world...
the player is wrong in this circumstance, just like he was at OSU.

love Smart, but he knows he was in the wrong here.

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2017, 06:48:24 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

Tony Allen, Mike Conley, this dude coaching, Marc Gasol, even Jaymychal green and Randolph are my kind of players.

they grind grind grind.

Yeah, me, too, and up until this year we had a similar type of "rough and tough" character. Somehow that completely evaporated this year, though.

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2017, 06:49:36 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
At least it was just a finger to a fan and he didn't go unto the stands again

But now he has a history of interactions with fans

The Ron Artest comparison intensifies. Let's just hope Marcus doesn't have a Malice in the Palace in hin and be driven to change his name to World B. Peace or whatever.

If Smart turned into Artest, and it had to be in every way, take it or leave it, I'd be thrilled and take the bad (as much of a screwball as he was) with the good.

He might be a scumbag, but he'd be our scumbag.

Not sure little Brad could handle him though....nor want too.

One of Brad's most limiting weaknesses: his unwillingness/inability to coach difficult to coach players.

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2017, 07:41:48 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Will he get suspended for that? I hope not.

No way, most likely he will get fined

Right!

$25K ;D

Mark Murphy‏Verified account @Murf56  1h1 hour ago
More
 Smart fined $25,000 by league for making obscene gesture in fourth quarter of Tuesday's game./quote]
Sounds about right.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19193893/marcus-smart-fined-25k-obscene-gesture
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2017, 08:03:24 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

they grind grind grind.

Yeah, me, too, and up until this year we had a similar type of "rough and tough" character. Somehow that completely evaporated this year, though.

It's like we are two franchises in one. A treadmill 50-win first-round-exit team like the Grizzlies superimposed on a collection of prospects like the Sixers. I have more confidence that the Sixers-like foundation can be nurtured into a legit contender than the Grizzlies-ish veteran core can be nudged into that status. It's been cool to have that kind of grinder to root for AND enjoy the fruits of someone else's tank job. But if it will be time to decide soon between the two, like, within a week, then we should ditch the Grizzlies core and power full steam ahead on the youth ship.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2017, 08:05:46 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

they grind grind grind.

It's like we are two franchises in one. A treadmill 50-win first-round-exit team like the Grizzlies superimposed on a collection of prospects like the Sixers. I have more confidence that the Sixers-like foundation can be nurtured into a legit contender than the Grizzlies-ish veteran core can be nudged into that status. It's been cool to have that kind of grinder to root for AND enjoy the fruits of someone else's tank job. But if it will be time to decide soon between the two, like, within a week, then we should ditch the Grizzlies core and power full steam ahead on the youth ship.
yeah, especially when our core doesnt have half the fight the Grizzlies does.

we will find out just how much fight these guys have over the next week.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2017, 08:22:55 PM »

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48
I have been a solid Marcus supporter all along but this is not OK.  You can have fire and be competitive without flipping off fans. 

I'm not sure you can use the word "fan" here. A guy who comes to a game and buys a 700$ seat to insult players is far from being what you call a fan. It's just a dude who thinks he can do whatever he wants because he has money.

Again, not saying Smart is right, but as a fan, if I was on the side of the floor, I would be thankful and cheer him, especially since he was one the few guys actually trying and playing well, as we all agree

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2017, 09:46:51 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

Very good analogy.

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2017, 11:04:47 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Marcus was wrong to flip off the fan, but I don't really care at all. When someone is as fiery as Smart, you take the bad with the good. Remember, lots of people HATED Garnett.