Author Topic: Aaron Hernandez Kills Himself in Prison  (Read 4684 times)

Re: Aaron Hernandez Kills Himself in Prison
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2017, 09:00:29 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I hope this helps his victims get some closure.

I just read an article I didn't understand - maybe you can explain it.  Said that since the AH conviction (Lloyd) was pending appeal that the "abatement" rule is in effect which automatically dismisses the original conviction. Thus, Hernandez is now no longer technically guilty of murder.

As pertains to victim closure and also possible motive for suicide, I think the article was suggesting that, in effect, this mitigates (or eliminates) the possibility of posthumously litigating for damages.   Victims perhaps are victimized again and perhaps provides a motive that the suicide would assure that AH girlfriend and child get whatever remains in his estate.   Sounds wrong to me, but maybe you can clarify.  Thanks.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/19/us/aaron-hernandez-conviction-abatement/index.html

No, the estate can still be sued for damages. What it can't due is use the fact that he was convicted of murder beyond reasonable doubt to automatically establish liability in a civil case. The plaintiffs would have to prove the murder happened, this time by a civil preponderance standard. Think OJ: criminally not guilty, civilly liable.

I don't like the abatement rule in general, because most apppeals are nonsense. I would require at least a judicial finding that the appeal shows "prima facae" evidence of trial error before vacating a conviction.

Thanks Roy.  Does it make any sense (assuming that there is any sanity involved), that Hernandez may have committed suicide knowing about the abatement rule and presuming this would decrease the likelihood (or mitigate the amount) of damages awarded?

I wondered the same earlier, but also read reports that he was likely smoking synthetic marijuana in his cell and had written a bible verse (John 3:16) on his forehead.  If true, foul play /\or hallucination / psychosis could have played a role.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/04/19/aaron-hernandez-john-316-prison-cell-death-investigation/ 

Mental illness and character dirorder definitely part of the picture.  Possible some grandiose idea of martyring for his family could be part of the picture.

Not sure that he was capable of that type of empathy.

A narcissistic sociopath seems to be what he was.

The world is a better place without him.

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2017, 09:14:57 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Only person I feel sympathy for is his 4 year old daughter who will have to grow up without a father and knowing that her dad likely was a serial killer.

I hope the rest of her family helps her along.

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2017, 09:30:40 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Only person I feel sympathy for is his 4 year old daughter who will have to grow up without a father and knowing that her dad likely was a serial killer.

I hope the rest of her family helps her along.

I don't have high hopes for mom stepping up to the plate.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes