Author Topic: Aaron Hernandez Kills Himself in Prison  (Read 4686 times)

Aaron Hernandez Kills Himself in Prison
« on: April 19, 2017, 06:43:04 AM »

Offline dwlefty13

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 3
Let's Go Celtics!!

Re: Aaron Hernandez Kills Himself in Prison
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 07:00:49 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Wow very shocking.

Clearly a troubled person w troubled past.

RIP.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 07:28:02 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Shocking indeed, and sad story beginning to end.

I suppose the movie can be made now.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 08:04:32 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I hope this helps his victims get some closure.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 08:05:44 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Very sad.  He was clearly a tortured soul.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 08:30:52 AM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
This may be harsh, but I'm not going to pretend sympathy just because he's dead.  He was a terrible human being and this world is a better place now that he's gone.

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 08:37:13 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Not surprising considering he was in for life without parole.

Still sad on some level to hear that somebody killed himself.

Hope everybody touched by this saga can find some peace.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 08:52:18 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
hopefully -- especially for those that did not feel justice was done in the trial that just concluded.

is there any greater example of a someone having it all just throwing it away in such a stupid and careless manner?

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 05:59:24 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

I just read an article I didn't understand - maybe you can explain it.  Said that since the AH conviction (Lloyd) was pending appeal that the "abatement" rule is in effect which automatically dismisses the original conviction. Thus, Hernandez is now no longer technically guilty of murder.

As pertains to victim closure and also possible motive for suicide, I think the article was suggesting that, in effect, this mitigates (or eliminates) the possibility of posthumously litigating for damages.   Victims perhaps are victimized again and perhaps provides a motive that the suicide would assure that AH girlfriend and child get whatever remains in his estate.   Sounds wrong to me, but maybe you can clarify.  Thanks.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/19/us/aaron-hernandez-conviction-abatement/index.html

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 07:32:36 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I just read an article I didn't understand - maybe you can explain it.  Said that since the AH conviction (Lloyd) was pending appeal that the "abatement" rule is in effect which automatically dismisses the original conviction. Thus, Hernandez is now no longer technically guilty of murder.

As pertains to victim closure and also possible motive for suicide, I think the article was suggesting that, in effect, this mitigates (or eliminates) the possibility of posthumously litigating for damages.   Victims perhaps are victimized again and perhaps provides a motive that the suicide would assure that AH girlfriend and child get whatever remains in his estate.   Sounds wrong to me, but maybe you can clarify.  Thanks.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/19/us/aaron-hernandez-conviction-abatement/index.html

I even heard that he may be eligible for some type of NFL pension now, for his family of course.

Also my friend thinks he was murdered. I was wondering if someone assisted the suicide. It would be very difficult to do by himself.

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 07:58:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

No, the estate can still be sued for damages. What it can't due is use the fact that he was convicted of murder beyond reasonable doubt to automatically establish liability in a civil case. The plaintiffs would have to prove the murder happened, this time by a civil preponderance standard. Think OJ: criminally not guilty, civilly liable.

I don't like the abatement rule in general, because most apppeals are nonsense. I would require at least a judicial finding that the appeal shows "prima facae" evidence of trial error before vacating a conviction.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 08:12:06 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I don't know how to feel about this one. I really don't.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 08:19:47 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

No, the estate can still be sued for damages. What it can't due is use the fact that he was convicted of murder beyond reasonable doubt to automatically establish liability in a civil case. The plaintiffs would have to prove the murder happened, this time by a civil preponderance standard. Think OJ: criminally not guilty, civilly liable.

I don't like the abatement rule in general, because most apppeals are nonsense. I would require at least a judicial finding that the appeal shows "prima facae" evidence of trial error before vacating a conviction.

Thanks Roy.  Does it make any sense (assuming that there is any sanity involved), that Hernandez may have committed suicide knowing about the abatement rule and presuming this would decrease the likelihood (or mitigate the amount) of damages awarded?

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 08:35:34 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Thanks Roy.  Does it make any sense (assuming that there is any sanity involved), that Hernandez may have committed suicide knowing about the abatement rule and presuming this would decrease the likelihood (or mitigate the amount) of damages awarded?

I wondered the same earlier, but also read reports that he was likely smoking synthetic marijuana in his cell and had written a bible verse (John 3:16) on his forehead.  If true, foul play /\or hallucination / psychosis could have played a role.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/04/19/aaron-hernandez-john-316-prison-cell-death-investigation/ 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 08:50:17 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens

I wondered the same earlier, but also read reports that he was likely smoking synthetic marijuana in his cell and had written a bible verse (John 3:16) on his forehead.  If true, foul play /\or hallucination / psychosis could have played a role.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/04/19/aaron-hernandez-john-316-prison-cell-death-investigation/ 

Mental illness and character dirorder definitely part of the picture.  Possible some grandiose idea of martyring for his family could be part of the picture.