Author Topic: We have terrible offensive players  (Read 986 times)

We have terrible offensive players
« on: April 19, 2017, 04:20:45 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
I don't care about the defense we talked enough about that. This team badly needs some offensive weapons. It doesn't matter how good guys look in the regular season the playoffs are where it counts. They have shown time and time again the past few years outside of IT they are garbage on that end.

We have no reliable knock down shooters or guys you can give the ball to that can take it to the rim and get you a bucket or fouled. AB is always injured, streaky and might be the worse finisher at the starting SG position in the entire league. Crowder is a no show in big games and the playoffs yea he had 15 but it was the most quietist I've ever seen. Amir, Smart, Horford all not really scorers or real post threats. KO no need to even get started on him he's a joke on both ends.

Barkley is right outside of IT "..where are they gonna score from?!" It shouldn't be that way but CBS hinted that poor offense could be leading to bad defense and there's prob some truth to it they are just putrid on that end. I hope over the offseason we pick up some guys that could actually hit an open freaking shot and make you pay for leaving them open because right now nobody is that guy. They also need some legit size enough of this midget ball I'm sick of it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 04:37:03 AM by j804 »
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

Re: We have terrible offensive players
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 06:10:16 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I think we gotta move on from the Bradley-Smart combination this summer. I love their 1-2 defensive punch but they are too limited in terms of creation (ball-handling, driving, scoring, assisting) to play so many minutes alongside each other.

And if they don't play long minutes alongside each other: (1) then one of our best players isn't getting the 28-32mpg that they deserve, or, (2) Stevens goes with small 3 guard lineups that do not serve us well either.

With so many advantages given to ball-handling guards these days on offense, Boston has to have a 2nd one come off the bench to spell IT when IT rests.

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 08:21:26 AM »

Offline straightouttabahstun

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
  • That's turrible
When we draft Fultz (knock on wood), Bradley is going to the bench.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 08:29:10 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
The C's were a top 10 offensive team this season. Yes, they rely too much on IT but the team has been a better offensive team than defensive by a wide margin.

Last night, their defense was disgustingly lazy. If they play better defense, they are able to get out in transition more, get more easy buckets, and that makes scoring points in the half court easier when guys are in rhythm. But it all starts on the defensive end.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 08:32:37 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Defense leads to easy buckets. If you secure a defensive rebound or commit a steal, that would force the Bulls to chase the ball down the court.

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 08:44:57 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
The C's were a top 10 offensive team this season. Yes, they rely too much on IT but the team has been a better offensive team than defensive by a wide margin.

Last night, their defense was disgustingly lazy. If they play better defense, they are able to get out in transition more, get more easy buckets, and that makes scoring points in the half court easier when guys are in rhythm. But it all starts on the defensive end.

And lazy defensive effort has been a recurring weakness all season, after being a strength last year.

The best explanation I can come up with is that Stevens, as smart as he is, simply doesn't understand how physically intense NBA basketball needs to be.  Remember his first season, when the team would repeatedly run up big leads and then collapse when the other guys started to play hard?

It feels like this team the previous two seasons relied on individual players and their personal habits of toughness and this season they finally realized they could slack off and Stevens wouldn't do anything about it.

Mike

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 09:02:26 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

And lazy defensive effort has been a recurring weakness all season, after being a strength last year.

The best explanation I can come up with is that Stevens, as smart as he is, simply doesn't understand how physically intense NBA basketball needs to be.  Remember his first season, when the team would repeatedly run up big leads and then collapse when the other guys started to play hard?

It feels like this team the previous two seasons relied on individual players and their personal habits of toughness and this season they finally realized they could slack off and Stevens wouldn't do anything about it.

Mike
It's a mystery to me, how this team could go from playing such intense, focused defense last season and play as lazy as they have all year on that end.

I wonder about the addition of Horford. I love Horford and I think he's a terrific player. He gets a raw deal around here a lot. But I also think his personality is that he's not a particularly intense guy. He's calm and smart and executes but he doesn't have a fiery personality. That can be a good thing but for an undersized team like this, they can get away with anything less than 110% on every possession.

As much as I love Al, he might be better suited to being a cog in a well oiled machine (like San Antonio) and as a tempering force on a more volatile squad (he could be the guy who keeps a Lance Stephenson type in his place).

I don't know.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 09:11:00 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
Horford used to be so competitive and was actually a solid rebounder before he blew his knees up. Remember when  they took the 2008 Celtics to 7 games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHNPzPFTQac