Author Topic: Working Theory: Size Matters  (Read 1584 times)

Re: Working Theory: Size Matters
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 10:41:07 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Cousins would have destroyed the chemistry. No player has ever said they love playing with him

Who gives a flip about chemistry if you get owned in the playoffs?

Chemistry alone won't win playoff games.

Exactly.. not like the chemistry looked good tonight anyway...

If you're a winning team, you have to take chances. You have to believe you can harness a player like Cousins. That was a huge miss

Little Brad was afraid of the boogie man

It's funny I feel like I'm one of Brad's biggest supporters half the time, I have trouble blaming him for a lot of what he gets blamed for, but when I heard those reports I wanted to rip my hair out...

Cousins is everything this team needed... He can even shoot 3s... If Brad wants to be a great coach in the NBA, he needs to be able to handle talented divas.

That said I still blame DA more for not making it happen even if Brad wasn't a fan

Don't worry, at least we'll always have a team of scrapper who never say die!! (until the playoffs roll around)
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 10:41:57 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Sure, size matters, but so do cap space and future Nets picks. Or something.

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 10:45:25 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Sure, size matters, but so do cap space and future Nets picks. Or something.

OK, but this is a non-responsive answer to the problem raised.

"Sure, but we have great opportunities to improve the team this summer" doesn't speak to the issue of "Our core might be fatally flawed."

Yes, we can add to the talent on the team.

But what do we do about the makeup of the players we already have?

Signing a star this summer won't change the fact that the PG, SG, SF, and C in the starting lineup are all undersized.

I don't think this group can stay intact, no matter who they can or will add this summer.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 10:46:39 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
Cousins would have destroyed the chemistry. No player has ever said they love playing with him

Who gives a flip about chemistry if you get owned in the playoffs?

Chemistry alone won't win playoff games.

Exactly.. not like the chemistry looked good tonight anyway...

If you're a winning team, you have to take chances. You have to believe you can harness a player like Cousins. That was a huge miss

Little Brad was afraid of the boogie man

It's funny I feel like I'm one of Brad's biggest supporters half the time, I have trouble blaming him for a lot of what he gets blamed for, but when I heard those reports I wanted to rip my hair out...

Cousins is everything this team needed... He can even shoot 3s... If Brad wants to be a great coach in the NBA, he needs to be able to handle talented divas.

That said I still blame DA more for not making it happen even if Brad wasn't a fan

Don't worry, at least we'll always have a team of scrapper who never say die!! (until the playoffs roll around)

Well it was fun for 82 games  ;D

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 10:48:02 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
I'm trolling, dude. I think those "yeah, but the Celtics have assets and cap space" arguments are beyond silly for a multitude of reasons, including those you've already brought up.

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 10:49:15 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff

This oh-so-valuable team chemistry that has them down 0-2 to a dysfunctional 8th seed. But yeah, chemistry, cap space, and Nets pick.

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 10:51:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm trolling, dude. I think those "yeah, but the Celtics have assets and cap space" arguments are beyond silly for a multitude of reasons, including those you've already brought up.

Oh.   ;D

Sorry!

Can't read between the lines right now.   :-X
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2017, 10:51:57 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2003
Look, our best player is 5'9''.  I don't think that's a problem.  Isaiah Thomas is really freaking good.

But what about the supporting cast for our tiny dynamo?

6'2''
6'5'' (on a good day)
6'9''
6'9''
6'2''

You have to get to our 3rd big man before you get to a guy who is average or better height for his position, and that's Kelly Olynyk.  Doesn't exactly play big.

I think perhaps this is a problem.  What say you?   I know, I know ... convenient time to point this out as they're getting shellacked by a team with size mismatches all over the floor.  But, well ... maybe it's hard to not get a bad matchup in the playoffs when your entire core group is small?

Completely agree.  I'm pretty tired of watching IT get torched by everyone he gets matched up against, and Bradley is clearly too small the guard the premier SGs and SFs of the league.

Playoffs are always about matchups.  That will never change.  When you have a major defensive liability, such as IT, it becomes greatly magnified especially now that every team likes to switch on pick and rolls. 

I'm also tired of stretch-4's (or 5's).  Give me bigs that will give hard fouls and grab traffic rebounds, even if they aren't a great 3 point shooter.  Better than watching Kelly "Fairy (pony) Tail" Olynyk on the court, who is probably among the softest 7-footers to ever play in an NBA game.

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2017, 10:55:55 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
Look at this awesome, valuable team chemistry that couldn't dare be risked by bringing in a volatile yet extremely talented player like Cousins:

Quote from: Jay King
Avery Bradley said he thinks the Bulls are executing because of their leadership. Pointed out Cs argued with each other, got down.

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2017, 11:02:25 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Eventually wyc has to open his pocket book and give a CENTER a pay day .  We can't compete for a title without a top level talent center.  And NO !  Horford is not a traditional center , big to cleanup rebounds we need.   He is more like Simmons will be for Philly .

We got a draft pick for KG , you have room to pay a center

Danny !  Use it and get a center before YOU loose the fans.

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2017, 11:10:34 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2485
Getting a big isn't going to move the needle much unless we have some 2-way superstars to lead the team.

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2017, 11:30:29 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Our star player lost his sister last week.
That is a factor as well.

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2017, 11:32:47 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Look, our best player is 5'9''.  I don't think that's a problem.  Isaiah Thomas is really freaking good.

But what about the supporting cast for our tiny dynamo?

6'2''
6'5'' (on a good day)
6'9''
6'9''
6'2''

You have to get to our 3rd big man before you get to a guy who is average or better height for his position, and that's Kelly Olynyk.  Doesn't exactly play big.

I think perhaps this is a problem.  What say you?   I know, I know ... convenient time to point this out as they're getting shellacked by a team with size mismatches all over the floor.  But, well ... maybe it's hard to not get a bad matchup in the playoffs when your entire core group is small?

Completely agree.  I'm pretty tired of watching IT get torched by everyone he gets matched up against, and Bradley is clearly too small the guard the premier SGs and SFs of the league.

Playoffs are always about matchups.  That will never change.  When you have a major defensive liability, such as IT, it becomes greatly magnified especially now that every team likes to switch on pick and rolls. 

I'm also tired of stretch-4's (or 5's).  Give me bigs that will give hard fouls and grab traffic rebounds, even if they aren't a great 3 point shooter.  Better than watching Kelly "Fairy (pony) Tail" Olynyk on the court, who is probably among the softest 7-footers to ever play in an NBA game.

TP.