Author Topic: Working Theory: Size Matters  (Read 1576 times)

Working Theory: Size Matters
« on: April 18, 2017, 10:22:30 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Look, our best player is 5'9''.  I don't think that's a problem.  Isaiah Thomas is really freaking good.

But what about the supporting cast for our tiny dynamo?

6'2''
6'5'' (on a good day)
6'9''
6'9''
6'2''

You have to get to our 3rd big man before you get to a guy who is average or better height for his position, and that's Kelly Olynyk.  Doesn't exactly play big.

I think perhaps this is a problem.  What say you?   I know, I know ... convenient time to point this out as they're getting shellacked by a team with size mismatches all over the floor.  But, well ... maybe it's hard to not get a bad matchup in the playoffs when your entire core group is small?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Re: Working Theory: Size Matters
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 10:25:01 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I agree...you can only get away with being short if you can shoot the lights out.

This team does not shoot the lights out.

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 10:26:05 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I agree...you can only get away with being short if you can shoot the lights out.

AND the Warriors, even before KD, had good size at most positions other than center (and they had a seven footer starting at center).

Curry and Klay are not small guards.

Neither Barnes nor Iggy nor KD is small on the wing.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 10:28:40 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
100%...Size and rebounding matter, especially in the playoffs.

I'm sure it's been said in other threads, and we obviously don't know what the Kings wanted from us, but not grabbing Cousins will go down as the biggest miss in DA's career

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 10:29:47 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
The Celtics have to get bigger and stronger.
No question.

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 10:29:48 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Well you have to actually use that size. If you just jack up threes you can have all the size in the world and it goes away

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 10:29:58 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Cousins would have destroyed the chemistry. No player has ever said they love playing with him

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 10:31:00 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Cousins would have destroyed the chemistry. No player has ever said they love playing with him

Who gives a flip about chemistry if you get owned in the playoffs?

Chemistry alone won't win playoff games.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 10:31:17 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

AND the Warriors, even before KD, had good size at most positions other than center (and they had a seven footer starting at center).

Size is just not height.
WINGSPAN and STANDING REACH are just as important.

Look at Wade. He is smaller for a 2 but has dominated in large part because of his phenomenal 6'11'' wingspan.

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 10:33:40 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley

Exactly.. not like the chemistry looked good tonight anyway...

If you're a winning team, you have to take chances. You have to believe you can harness a player like Cousins. That was a huge miss... A super star available for peanuts by a GM who had no idea what he was doing, and trader Danny stayed pat...

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 10:34:52 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

If you're a winning team, you have to take chances. You have to believe you can harness a player like Cousins. That was a huge miss

Little Brad was afraid of the boogie man

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 10:36:35 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Look, our best player is 5'9''.  I don't think that's a problem.  Isaiah Thomas is really freaking good.

But what about the supporting cast for our tiny dynamo?

6'2''
6'5'' (on a good day)
6'9''
6'9''
6'2''

You have to get to our 3rd big man before you get to a guy who is average or better height for his position, and that's Kelly Olynyk.  Doesn't exactly play big.

I think perhaps this is a problem.  What say you?   I know, I know ... convenient time to point this out as they're getting shellacked by a team with size mismatches all over the floor.  But, well ... maybe it's hard to not get a bad matchup in the playoffs when your entire core group is small?
I couldn't agree more kid Pho Pho.

This is the epitome of an overachieving team. Now that the playoffs have begun the casual fans are starting to understand that other teams and players play harder.

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 10:36:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Size is just not height.
WINGSPAN and STANDING REACH are just as important.

Look at Wade. He is smaller for a 2 but has dominated in large part because of his phenomenal 6'11'' wingspan.

Wingspan doesn't make Bradley a good defender on bigger wings.  It just doesn't.

Same for Isaiah.

It helps make up for deficiencies but it's not enough.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 10:39:08 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley

If you're a winning team, you have to take chances. You have to believe you can harness a player like Cousins. That was a huge miss

Little Brad was afraid of the boogie man

It's funny I feel like I'm one of Brad's biggest supporters half the time, I have trouble blaming him for a lot of what he gets blamed for, but when I heard those reports I wanted to rip my hair out...

Cousins is everything this team needed... He can even shoot 3s... If Brad wants to be a great coach in the NBA, he needs to be able to handle talented divas.

That said I still blame DA more for not making it happen even if Brad wasn't a fan

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 10:40:17 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

LOL. Chemistry?!? What chemistry? If this team were a lab experiment, the lab would've blown up—in both games.

As for the OP, size is not a working theory, it's a fact. Teams do not win titles without legit bigs (unless you have LeBron, which we don't). I've been banging this drum for AGES, but so many people are enamored with small ball. Absolutely ridiculous. Duncan, Robinson, Bogut, Tristan Thompson, Tyson Chandler, Nowitzki, Gasol, KG, Ben Wallace ... that's what wins titles.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis