Author Topic: Stevens isn't the answer  (Read 8433 times)

Re: Stevens isn't the answer
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2017, 05:58:15 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
I think Stevens had generally more success with these players than any other coach could expect to have

I think that if Stevens is even half the NBA coach he wants to be, he will define success by what his team accomplishes in the playoffs.

He has had no answers this series.  If this was against Toronto, or Cleveland, I could understand.  This is against a team that backed its way into the playoffs, and I give Chicago a lot of credit for the way they are playing now.

I also think that it is ridiculous for anyone to be a Stevens apologist today.  He has not been good this series and the team was embarrassed at home.  His team has been unprepared. He deserves a lot of criticism.

« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2017, 06:05:57 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
The series is not over.  So I assume Bill Belichick was a horrible coach in the Super Bowl until they had that miraculous comeback?  Give it a rest. 

« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2017, 06:06:19 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
My concern is that I feel Stevens is too much of a nice guy.  I just don't see enough fire or fury within him.  I can't help but feel this team has a bit of a soft nature, and I'm worried that a lot of it comes from him.

This was a major problem for me last night.  I don't need to see fire, or yelling, or whatever.  But it was clear that some players on the Celtics roster were out to lunch.  Jerebko went berserk on the sideline after the Felicio dunk because he was a DNP to allow other players to not give a crap.  At least I know JJ will try.  Brad is in control of that - you don't play defense, you don't play. 

There was a time within the past few years that you could always count on this squad to give maximum effort, even if they were getting blown out.  That doesn't happen anymore, and that is partly on the coach.

« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2017, 06:20:29 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
I doubt it's Stevens. Ainge didn't fix the holes in the team at the trade deadline, mainly the rebounding, which could have been improved cheaply. And the Bulls have capitalized on that. They were 2-2 regular season, so Bulls figured to be tough for them.

I don't think Ainge factored in the possibility of finishing #1 seed this year. He was more concerned with preserving his cap position going into the draft season. A missed opportunity.

What does concern me about Stevens is I heard Ainge say he has equal say with himself and Wyc on player personnel. That surprised me--a young coach coming out of college with no NBA experience has player personnel say? I think he should have an input, like any coach, but not an equal say. Maybe that explains why a bench player like Zeller, a favorite of Stevens from Indiana, gets $8M while IT carries the team for less. That can't go over well in the locker room. And, maybe more importantly, Ainge's unwillingness to improve obvious weaknesses at the trade deadline may be affecting team effort post season. 

« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2017, 12:25:15 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I see a bunch of Doubting Thomases here.

It's easy to criticize and point fingers when things don't go well.

Did you forget Stevens is the guy that coached this team to the #1 seed overall in the East even without the perfect pool of players?

He can't step on the court and rebound.  He wasn't the one underperforming out there.

Do tweaks need to be made?  Of course?  Are guys underperforming?  It's obvious.  Are there holes in the roster?  Of course.

But the talk in this thread so far is simply knee jerk reactionism.  You forgot the horse that got us here in the first place.

And who could have predicted IT's sister would be killed in a car accident right before the playoffs start?  Who could have predicted the entire team comes out flat at home?

Nobody.  But life is unpredictable.

For TRUE FANS.  It's time to STAND BY your team.  Bad times come.  But they will come to pass.
Now is the time to see the true CHARACTER of this team.  I expect them to bounce back if they are truly mentally TOUGH.

Let's watch this all the way till the end, shall we?  Are or some of you just fair weather fans, waiting to turn the minute things get a little rough?  Boston sports fans are too spoiled by success.  Learn to get through the thick AND the THIN guys!  STAND BY YOUR TEAM!

Go Celtics!!!

« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2017, 12:42:11 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
My thing with Stevens is not to say he's bad now that the team has looked much worse than expected this post-season.

Yeah, stuff happens.

Also -- stuff ALWAYS happens in the playoffs.  That's what makes winning a title such a sweet accomplishment.  It's not just about winning games you ought to win.  It's about overcoming bad matchups and stuff going on off the court, and holding the team together in good times and bad, and getting lucky.

Stevens is a good coach.  He's been at the helm as this team has gone from a bottom 5 record in a tank year all the way to the #1 seed in the East, even if it was a weak year to be #1.

All of that said, he hasn't earned "great coach" status yet.  You need to prove it in the playoffs to do that.  That's all I'm saying.  Many times I've seen Brad touted as the Celts' greatest asset.  It's not true.  Maybe he will be one day.  He needs to figure out the playoffs first.

Carlisle, Spoelstra, Popovich, D'Antoni, Thibodeau, Brooks, Budenholzer, Rivers, Kerr ... all have steered their teams to multiple playoff series victories.

Brad has the goods to get to their level some day, but he isn't there yet.  And yeah, it'll help when he has the chance to coach the kind of talent some of those coaches got to coach.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2017, 12:45:25 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

Call it whaterver you want. Im not saying fire Brad, but this is a bad look no matter how you twist it. Even Doc had a better record with the Magic.

« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2017, 01:03:52 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Call it whaterver you want. Im not saying fire Brad, but this is a bad look no matter how you twist it. Even Doc had a better record with the Magic.

Until you take into account that we haven't had a frontcourt in 4 years, but instead a roster of undersized, largely one-way guards.   
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2017, 01:10:26 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald

Until you take into account that we haven't had a frontcourt in 4 years, but instead a roster of undersized, largely one-way guards.   

Still a bad look, regardless of circumstance. If Brad can at least squeezed 2 or 3 more wins despite losing the series, it wouldn't look so bad.

« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2017, 01:28:23 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Hire KG as assistant coach

« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2017, 01:49:58 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Hire KG as assistant coach
Hell yes hoping he teaches Zizic, Yabu and Mickey on playing tough and scare the vets into actually playing defense and grabbing caroms
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2017, 01:53:56 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Still a bad look, regardless of circumstance. If Brad can at least squeezed 2 or 3 more wins despite losing the series, it wouldn't look so bad.

I agree that Stevens deserves some blame, but he's very limited right now.  If Ainge doesn't manage a better roster for next season, primarily with a frontcourt upgrade, this team will not improve.  This playoff series may also reduce the likelihood that FAs sign with Boston, and you have to figure relative trade values are dropping right now. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2017, 04:20:45 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Not cool I know, but I just don't care about this year anymore. I just want the Celtics to play well so people will tone down the Sky is Falling stuff..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2017, 04:34:03 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
Not cool I know, but I just don't care about this year anymore. I just want the Celtics to play well so people will tone down the Sky is Falling stuff..

Me neither. All I asked for the playoffs is get out of the first round, but it seems that is also too much for this current core.

« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2017, 04:47:02 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Losing is acceptable as long as you put up a fight.
There was no fight the first 2 games (except first 5mn of game 2).
I know they face emotional adversity plus a team that is playing way better than what they supposed to, but go and fight, come on Cs, show us what you got !!!