Author Topic: Stevens isn't the answer  (Read 8440 times)

Re: Stevens isn't the answer
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2017, 06:32:42 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Lol.
Brad Stevens isnt going anywhere.

The unfortunate tragedy that affected IT has affected the entire team.Terrible timing but that's not what's important here.

Jesus guys calm the fck down. We've had a great season for our roster. This current squad is going to be very different once we are true contenders. Our coach has done amazing job, unfortunately we are playing poorly and the Bulls are playing out of their minds.

Calm the fck down every one!
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2017, 06:40:25 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Coach is doing good with the players he has for the most part. He has no bigs to fix the frontcourt issues.

But I'm not on board with the philosophy that CBS and DA have .

Chucking threes like crazy HOPING you hit a certain percentage .....enough to win.  Is not going to cut it against playoff series games.  We don't have Curry.

Forgetting about scoring in the paint and rebounding is a huge mistake. .....that's a false direction too dependent on unreliable shooters other than IT for the most part.

That's why we need a Fultz type of player ...another consistent scorer and a young guy who can rebound.

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2017, 06:46:45 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If he keeps choking in the playoffs... he will be out as coach sooner than later

Danny will save his butt first

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2017, 06:55:56 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Lol.

The unfortunate tragedy that affected IT has affected the entire team.Terrible timing but that's not what's important here.

Jesus guys calm the fck down. We've had a great season for our roster. This current squad is going to be very different once we are true contenders. Our coach has done amazing job, unfortunately we are playing poorly and the Bulls are playing out of their minds.

This. 

Its as if everyone forgot our best players little sister was killed moments before this series tipped off.  How can folks give up on this roster without recognizing the effect that's had on our performance?

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2017, 07:40:04 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Its as if everyone forgot our best players little sister was killed moments before this series tipped off.  How can folks give up on this roster without recognizing the effect that's had on our performance?

I agree it has affected us and our players reacted in the worse way.   Ideally, if this happened you would think you would pick up the slack for your grieving team mate.   Instead, we seem to have embraced it as everyone's problem or excuse to not play well.   I think we know as a team that IT is the core of our team right now.   Our guys know if he slumps then we will lose badly.   

I think Ainge has stated that we are not contending for this year as well.   This has to affect guys when they hear that.  Why would you play your heart out if you heard that?

Playoff basketball is different.   Our play during the regular season is meaningless.   Teams know they can rough up IT more in the playoff because the refs let people play more.   CLE did this to us and now CHI is doing it.

Where is the Celtics pride? Where is the hustle? The 50/50 balls grinding spirit? The fight to the end?
I don't see that, and it makes me very angry.

I agree.   The effort is not there.   We are an effort team like it or not.  We have to play hard to win.  If we don't our lack of scoring, talent, and rebounding is exposed.   Time to come to play or go home.

GO CELTICS!

« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2017, 09:15:04 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I think we all understand the Stevens doesn't have the horses to win a title. They won 50 games though. You can't have it both ways.

This team isn't tough. This is why we see leads evaporate. This is why we see the lack of rebounding. We don't see any adjustments that work. Stevens can't get this team to elevate it's play to playoff basketball.

Shakeup the lineup, get a technical foul, yell at a player in front of the team. I want to see them fight and not just jack up 3s and not be held accountable for poor possessions and bad shots.

I will keep saying it. Stevens needs better assistant coaches...NBA coaches that can help him more with game to game adjustments. This is a college staff and we need someone to show Celtic Pride....whether it be a coach or player.

I asked a month ago...when will Stevens start winning big games. Now we're losing home playoff games. Teams are punking us and taking our  lunch.

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2017, 09:37:09 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Lol.

This. 

Isaiah gets a pass from me. I'm impressed he is even playing. He's doing his best given the circumstances.

His teammates have completely failed to step up for him. They don't get a pass.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2017, 09:43:41 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
Lol.

This. 

Isaiah gets a pass from me. I'm impressed he is even playing. He's doing his best given the circumstances.

I agree. We have a bunch of bench, role players that aren't ready for primetime.

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2017, 09:49:09 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Guys remember how not tanking helped build a winning environment? ::)

« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2017, 10:40:30 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Role players can overachieve and win regular season .
You need stars to overachieve to win playoff games .
This is mostly not in Stevens .

« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2017, 10:58:04 AM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Stevens is not one of the main problems with the team.

People are angry and looking for that one explanation for what's going on. Well, it's not that easy. The reality is that it's much more complicated. There are a bunch of things happening all at the same time:

1) The team dynamics have been affected by IT's personal tragedy. There's clearly an effect, and not just on IT.
2) The Celtics drew a team that's not a true 8 seed. The Bulls are better than their seeding or record indicates.
3) The Bulls are playing out of their minds. Doing great chasing the C's off the 3-point line, hitting shots they wouldn't normally hit, playing with incredible energy. The team is playing their best basketball of the year, while the Celtics are playing their worst.
4) The Celtics lack a second "alpha"-type and it's showing as things get tighter in the playoffs. Pack the paint and force IT to dish, but the problem is that the role players haven't been able to capitalize. That's one explanation for why they've been better in the regular season than the playoffs.
5) The Celtics lack size. Your starting guards are 5'9" and 6'2", and you have no one beefy at the 4 or 5 positions. You can get punished by a team with size.

It's not as satisfying as just throwing your hands up and saying "It's Stevens's fault!" or "Fire Ainge!" or "We shoulda got Cousins" or something. But this is the truth.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2017, 11:16:54 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
2) The Celtics drew a team that's not a true 8 seed. The Bulls are better than their seeding or record indicates

Ed, I would also put forth we are worse than our seeding.  CLE is hands down the best team in the east.

« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2017, 11:43:56 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney

People are angry and looking for that one explanation for what's going on. Well, it's not that easy. The reality is that it's much more complicated. There are a bunch of things happening all at the same time:

1) The team dynamics have been affected by IT's personal tragedy. There's clearly an effect, and not just on IT.
2) The Celtics drew a team that's not a true 8 seed. The Bulls are better than their seeding or record indicates.
3) The Bulls are playing out of their minds. Doing great chasing the C's off the 3-point line, hitting shots they wouldn't normally hit, playing with incredible energy. The team is playing their best basketball of the year, while the Celtics are playing their worst.
4) The Celtics lack a second "alpha"-type and it's showing as things get tighter in the playoffs. Pack the paint and force IT to dish, but the problem is that the role players haven't been able to capitalize. That's one explanation for why they've been better in the regular season than the playoffs.
5) The Celtics lack size. Your starting guards are 5'9" and 6'2", and you have no one beefy at the 4 or 5 positions. You can get punished by a team with size.

It's not as satisfying as just throwing your hands up and saying "It's Stevens's fault!" or "Fire Ainge!" or "We shoulda got Cousins" or something. But this is the truth.

Good synopsis but we knew all this at the beginning of the season, mid season and now. How do you equate it with winning 50 games? Playoff basketball is about game to game adjustments and I haven't seen it. We need to elevate or change the rotation or starters. Maybe start Zeller and let him bang Lopez. Maybe bring Green in since this is a more athletic team. Maybe go bigger to offset the rebounding and sacrifice somewhere else. Get them out of their comfort zone.

« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2017, 11:53:55 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Lol.

This. 

Exactly. IT gets a pass, but nobody else does.

We're the #1 seed playing like a bunch of headless chicken. As Avery said, we can't use the tragedy as an excuse, or we have already lost the series.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2017, 04:36:28 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!

Good synopsis but we knew all this at the beginning of the season, mid season and now. How do you equate it with winning 50 games? Playoff basketball is about game to game adjustments and I haven't seen it. We need to elevate or change the rotation or starters. Maybe start Zeller and let him bang Lopez. Maybe bring Green in since this is a more athletic team. Maybe go bigger to offset the rebounding and sacrifice somewhere else. Get them out of their comfort zone.

Think about what you just wrote. Counting on Tyler Zeller in a playoff series? One of the worst players in the league? That a definite roster problem.