Author Topic: Stevens isn't the answer  (Read 8438 times)

Re: Stevens isn't the answer
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2017, 12:27:39 AM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75

Stevens is Definitely the answer.. The youth of this team is the future.. Brown, Smart 17 and possibly 18..  This is why we signed CBS for as long as we did.. DA knew this team was not on par with the Elite teams in the league..  Adding cousins was not going to make our guards taller.. and on-top of that to Ignore the fact that he is an emotional train-wreck who cant keep his feelings in check is beyond desperate..

IF you were honest with yourself you would know that regardless of seeding - the Bulls were a better PLAYOFF team than us.. PLAYOFF Rondo is better than anybody on our team.. You saw the guy Basically coaching the team on the sideline - leading like he lead Paul, KG and Ray..Experience in the playoffs trumps all..  Wade has been to the promised land multiple times... They have bigger, tougher bigs than we have, They have a Star Closer, multiple Scoring options who can create their own shots.. What did we think was going to happen in this series..

This is not Stevens fault.. We need ELITE Talent that we can grow into champions..  Brown was a start..

PS the Bulls are not a contender..  Beating them will/would not have put us any closer to anything important..   

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2017, 12:36:01 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Huh?  Stevens problem is that his teams overachieve during the regular season.

You can't have it both ways though.

Overachieve in the regular season = Brad Stevens is a great coach!

Look overmatched in the playoffs = The players just aren't good enough!

Yeah, no.  Doesn't work like that.  Either he makes the team better than their talent or he doesn't.
False. During the regular season, a considerable number of fans felt that despite our success, our team was not build for the playoffs.

In fact, basketball reporters didn't think much of us coming into this series with the Bulls.

The problem is that intensity isn't going to be enough in the playoffs because everyone is intense in the playoffs. You can out-intense people in the regular season, but roster is the C's problem. It is also the reason why most C's fans didn't want us to try to commit much to single additional pieces when they didn't think we would get far in the playoffs regardless. As we hear all the time, we still need that primary star.

And don't let the #1 seed fool you. We are one of the all time worst #1 seeds by record.

all of which tells me that while Stevens is a good coach, he's not a great coach.

great coaches figure out ways to overcome the difficulties presented by the playoffs.

not even a great coach can overcome staggering talent disparities, but that's not what is going on in this series.

the Celts look hapless against an opponent that barely managed to get to .500 in the regular season.

that's not good enough.

look, I'm not saying "Fire Brad Stevens!"

I'm just saying that we should stop thinking that Brad is the best thing we have going. 

no, he's not.

Talent wins in this league.  you need a good coach to not muck things up.  Brad's not getting us to a championship just because you give him decent players.  he apparently can't even win a playoff series with a solid but not great team.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2017, 12:39:52 AM »

Offline CoachBS#1

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 31

Stevens is Definitely the answer.. The youth of this team is the future.. Brown, Smart 17 and possibly 18..  This is why we signed CBS for as long as we did.. DA knew this team was not on par with the Elite teams in the league..  Adding cousins was not going to make our guards taller.. and on-top of that to Ignore the fact that he is an emotional train-wreck who cant keep his feelings in check is beyond desperate..

IF you were honest with yourself you would know that regardless of seeding - the Bulls were a better PLAYOFF team than us.. PLAYOFF Rondo is better than anybody on our team.. You saw the guy Basically coaching the team on the sideline - leading like he lead Paul, KG and Ray..Experience in the playoffs trumps all..  Wade has been to the promised land multiple times... They have bigger, tougher bigs than we have, They have a Star Closer, multiple Scoring options who can create their own shots.. What did we think was going to happen in this series..

This is not Stevens fault.. We need ELITE Talent that we can grow into champions..  Brown was a start..

PS the Bulls are not a contender..  Beating them will/would not have put us any closer to anything important..
This

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2017, 12:49:29 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Guys part of building a good solid culture is defending home court.

Even if we don't win a series, at least win some home games.

Stevens is 2-10

We got pounded at home vs the Cavs  2 weeks ago.

The Bulls are shooting lights out on our court.

Can we at least get some home playoff wins

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2017, 01:06:32 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
My concern is that I feel Stevens is too much of a nice guy.  I just don't see enough fire or fury within him.  I can't help but feel this team has a bit of a soft nature, and I'm worried that a lot of it comes from him.

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2017, 01:11:51 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
My concern is that I feel Stevens is too much of a nice guy.  I just don't see enough fire or fury within him.  I can't help but feel this team has a bit of a soft nature, and I'm worried that a lot of it comes from him.

^^^THIS^^^

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2017, 01:14:47 AM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75

Is it the CBS or is it that the bigs on our team are really Sweet men... AJ looks like someones cool tatted Uncle.. KO looks like he would be great at Beer Pong - Al looks like he rescues small animals during his time off..  Outside of Smart and Crowder we have nothing really Rugged on the Roster..   We need a few junkyard dogs..  I am hoping that what they Say about Zizic is true..

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2017, 01:18:43 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469

I agree with this 100%.  We need to show some passion and fire as a team and I don't see that from Brad.  Not that yelling and stomping your feet is a way to manage today's NBA players but it would be helpful to have him get after guys more on a night like tonight where the effort and focus just wasn't there.

We definitely have very few NBA playoff mentally tough players on our roster right now.

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2017, 01:36:04 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Yeah let's hope that Danny signs or trades for a couple of young guys who are tough with good character (not a knock on Ainge I sincerely hope we can find such guys for cheap, we really need some of them right now and Zizic and Yabu are good starts)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2017, 02:41:04 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Bring in Stan Van Gundy. I would love to watch him constantly yell and bark at the guys on TV.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2017, 02:57:03 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Bring in Stan Van Gundy. I would love to watch him constantly yell and bark at the guys on TV.

I wouldn't complain to be honest.

I feel like Brad Stevens is like the coach equivalent of Al Horford - talented and fundamentally sound, but just too [dang] nice.

People used to hate on Doc Rivers, but if there is one thing he was not it's soft.  He was a great motivator.

The whole story of making each player leave a $100 note in the opposing locker room, and telling them the only way they get it back is if they make it back there for the finals - that's what I call motivation. 

I saw a video the other day with KG and Pierce reflecting back on their run with the Celtics and before. They spoke about Doc and how hard he was on the guys in practice, that if guys did a particular drill anything like then exactly how he wanted it done, he would make them redo it over and over again until they got it right. 

KG's words were something like "if you were a soft guy, you would never last with Doc". 

I think you need that in a coach.  You need somebody who will accept no excuses, and will push you to your limit to make sure you are nothing less then your best.  Yeah he made some questionable rotation choices at times, but if a guy made a mistake on the court you know they were getting a death stare on the spot, and an earful when they got back to the bench.

Popovich is probably the best coach in the league right now, and I can all but guarantee that there is nothing soft about how he coaches his Spurs teams.  I'd say the same is probably true about Phil Jackson, looking at the type of person he is.

I just dont see that toughness in Brad Stevens.  Not saying that he gives them a cocktail and a beach chair for practice, but I just don't see him being the type who would bench a guy if he doesn't go 110% in practice, etc. He just seems too nice.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 03:08:51 AM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2017, 03:18:42 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
If CBS is too nice then what is Fred Hoidberg? Having a good coach is secondary to having talent. College hoops is a coaches game but the NBA is about stars. The moment is too big for this group of roleplayers.

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2017, 04:15:21 AM »

Offline cousytoheinsohn

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
This butler project is over.  We need a tough coach and tough players

Toto, I've got a feeling we're not at Butler anymore.

Even so, I'd rather have young, fresh-faced Brad than old, hackneyed Doc.

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2017, 06:08:27 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't think the problem is Stevens.   I think when Ainge did not improve the team at the deadline it sent a message to the team that he did not think they could compete this year and the team is playing accordingly.  Now, I think Ainge is a rock solid GM for the most part but I think he dropped the ball on the trade deadline.   There have been numerous articles of Ainge hinting that we can't get past CLE.

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2017, 06:09:49 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
lol when fans are hurt, they really come up with nonsense comments.

This Chicago team is better than us, hands down. They have 3 players that can drive their way in the paint and score, and that's our big weakness all season.
Celtics know how to defend the perimeter, but it's useless vs Chicago.
Buttler, Wade and Rondo are enjoying themselves seeing the Celtics have no answers.

Don't be mad at Danny or Brad, they have done their job well despite your opinions. They have their plan and they stick to it.

Be mad at your players! Where is the Celtics pride? Where is the hustle? The 50/50 balls grinding spirit? The fight to the end?
I don't see that, and it makes me very angry.
IT is not there, he's on auto pilot, and he still produce something.
Where are his teammates? It's disgusting to see their production.
I'm mad, very mad at all the players but IT. We all know what it feels to lose a siblings and how out of focus you are several days/weeks after the event.
We can't ask IT more than that but WHERE ARE HIS TEAMMATES ????

The only thing I wish happened during the press conference is a mad Brad Stevens with passion and fire. First time Brad disappointed me.

Did they all give up already?
Tsssch...

PS: I watch the Toronto's game. They get lucky, they should be 0-2 as well. But you know what... they made their luck, they hustle all the possessions, they play hard defense 48 minutes. They get rewarded by shooting well above average 48% 2s and 48% 3s and they made 2 huge contested shots at the end that gave them the win.
Didn't see that energy from the C's. Again, sad...

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 06:14:59 AM by LGC88 »