Author Topic: Stevens isn't the answer  (Read 8429 times)

Stevens isn't the answer
« on: April 18, 2017, 10:21:07 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
I'm sorry guys I don't think Stevens knows how to prepare teams for the playoffs. The intensity and game planning is crucial. His staff isn't equipped to deal with it. He needs some old vet assistant coaches.

This team is playing like it's a regular season game. Stevens hasn't made adjustments and his rotations are whack. Where has Green been...he should've been in early. Team came out flat again. Allowing this team to take all these 3s is disgusting. He's 2-10 in the playoffs. Go back to college.

Gut this team and the coaching staff. Horford is stealing money. Crowder is a bench player. KO should be released. Johnson made Lopez look like Moses. No one is going to want these players Ainge overvalues.

Ainge better fix this.

Re: Stevens isn't the answer
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 10:27:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't think Brad is the problem, but I agree -- he isn't the answer.

I've heard people say that "Brad Stevens is the Celtics' superstar."  Well, I think it's obvious that isn't true.

Popovich he is not.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 10:32:37 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I'm sorry guys I don't think Stevens knows how to prepare teams for the playoffs. The intensity and game planning is crucial. His staff isn't equipped to deal with it. He needs some old vet assistant coaches.

This team is playing like it's a regular season game. Stevens hasn't made adjustments and his rotations are whack. Where has Green been...he should've been in early. Team came out flat again. Allowing this team to take all these 3s is disgusting. He's 2-10 in the playoffs. Go back to college.

Gut this team and the coaching staff. Horford is stealing money. Crowder is a bench player. KO should be released. Johnson made Lopez look like Moses. No one is going to want these players Ainge overvalues.

Ainge better fix this.
Stevens deserves a lot of blame, but i dont think gerald green of all people was the reason we lost by double digits to the bulls. I think he needs to alter the starting lineup. Smart and zeller or olynyk should be starting. Amir looks dead

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 10:33:38 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Huh?  Stevens problem is that his teams overachieve during the regular season.

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 10:34:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
This has always been a roster problem and the fact that Ainge did nothing at the deadline to improve the team and correct some of the deficiencies in the team he put together is the real travesty.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 10:35:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

You can't have it both ways though.

Overachieve in the regular season = Brad Stevens is a great coach!

Look overmatched in the playoffs = The players just aren't good enough!

Yeah, no.  Doesn't work like that.  Either he makes the team better than their talent or he doesn't.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 10:37:48 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Green wasn't the answer but I'm looking at preparation, intensity and adjustments. I just don't see it. Stevens needs better NBA coaches. Our bigs can't rebound or defend inside. Our guards have to do everything.

This is a small slashing team and all we do is shoot 3s like we're the Warriors.

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 10:38:25 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think Stevens had generally more success with these players than any other coach could expect to have

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 10:40:31 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 637
  • MASTER OF PANIC
To be fair...Boston and Stevens has overachieved this season. This roster is not very good and that is on Danny Ainge.

They are too guard heavy and Ainge over values guys like Crowder and Bradley.

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 10:40:48 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Yeah, no.  Doesn't work like that.  Either he makes the team better than their talent or he doesn't.
Of course you can.  His issue in the playoffs is that every team is trying hard.  Once that happens, we come back down to earth.

Are we going to blame Stevens for our rebounding issues?  No, that's a roster problem.  Are we going to blame Stevens that our star is 5'9" in shoes?  Thomas is always going to have issues when teams game plan against him.  Are we going to blame Stevens because we only have one guy on the entire roster than can get his shot?  The bulls have three.

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 10:42:34 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
This butler project is over.  We need a tough coach and tough players

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 10:42:46 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!

The NBA regular season is next to meaningless. This team struggled all year to beat even horrible teams by more than a few points. In the playoffs the real basketball starts and fraud teams get exposed. He should take some heat but this roster is way too flawed. Nobody steps up when IT can't carry 70% of the load.

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 10:43:03 PM »

Offline SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1956
I think Stevens had generally more success with these players than any other coach could expect to have

In the regular season though.  And this season was disappointing in my opinion, not from a win-total standpoint (although I suppose that's what matters for the regular season), but from the standpoints of poor effort on defense and rebounding, inconsistency and a recurring theme of blown leads, and some questionable rotation decisions, such as playing Rozier so many undeserved minutes.

Brad has done an awful job so far in this series.  Not only is he being outcoached by Fred Hoiberg of all people, but we look like a completely unprepared team.  Aside from the first few minutes of game 2, at no point have we looked good at either end of the floor.  His rotations in the playoffs have been trash too.

I'm very much beginning to question Stevens' ability to coach when it matters.

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 10:45:06 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Exactly!

Stevens made two really disingenuous statements about the roster the season. The most recent one was that the team is not as good as  it's record. That's a really weasel comment for two reasons one, if the team doesn't do well in the playoffs they weren't that good, so it's not on him, and two because they did so well in the regular season because  he was such a great coach.

Second comment he made was when someone was questioning him about the lack of rebounding, which she has time and again said that it wasn't that important. And then the comment he made was that he plays with the roster that was given to him. That's a bunch of crap.

I have no doubt that Ainge  purposely did not go after certain guys because Stevens didn't want them, because they weren't Proto typical for his system, for example Bigs  that could shoot and stretch the floor like little Kelly.

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 10:54:37 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Brad has had all kinds of issues all year long.  It's not just this season either, he was questionable last year too. 

I just don't understand some of the rotations and decisions he makes.  It's like he tries to do things that are unorthodox just for the sake of being unorthodox...and when guys are playing badly out there he pays no attention to it.

Yesterday in the first half, Marcus Smart killed us.  He made horrible decision after horrible decision, made countless moves that led to turnovers, poor passing decisions, poor shoooting decisions.  He had a lot to do with us losing that game, even if he did get lucky on a couple of fluke threes.  Yet when he was making mistake after mistake, Brad refused to take him out. 

Then Brown came in twice, made an immediate impact both times, and got pulled straight back out again.

Then later in the game they had Crowder, Smart and Bradley all on the court - and Brad decides to put Bradley onto Butler defensively, and Smart on Wade?  In what universe does that make any sense?  It's blatantly obvious that Crowder is the best matchup against Butler, Bradley is a great defender and will play hard, but Butler has 5 inches and a good 40 pounds on Bradley, it's just not a good matchup. Yet Bradley is know for his ability to shut down Wade...so why not put Crowder on Butler and Bradley on Wade?

Then today - Rozier played well when he was out there, then they take him straight back out again. 

Smart and Olynyk both played well, and Olynyk barely got 19-20 mins of playing time. 

And somehow we allowed Robin freaking Lopez of all people to kill us two nights in a row, on our home court - granted Horford had a good game yesterday, but overall in this series he hasn't really outplayed Lopez, which is an embarrassment for a $30M man.

Finally, getting killed by Lopez and Portis only brings more attention to the fact that we desperately need to add another big body at the deadline.  We had a chance to get Ibaka for pretty much nothing but Ainge didn't want to give up Rozier, who has barely even played in this series so far.  Ibaka could have been a difference maker in this series, no question about it.  With he and Horford out there, we would be a significantly stronger team on BOTH ends of the floor.

Now we are down 0-2 at home against an 8th seed Chicago team that had major chemistry issues, and we go back to Chicago having to win some games.  Right now the odds indicate that we will almost certainly lose this series, and there is a very real chance that we get knocked out with a 4-0 sweep. 

Has that ever happened?  A #1 seed being swept by a #8 seed?  If not, we might make history for all the wrong reasons.