Author Topic: Lopez Owned Horford  (Read 1733 times)

Lopez Owned Horford
« on: April 18, 2017, 10:18:29 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
Horford garbage.

Lopez destroyed him, outplayed him, out one-one'd him, unreal

sick sick stuff,

Re: Lopez Owned Horford
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 10:21:48 PM »

Offline esel1000

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 587
He wasn't great in this one, but Horford is far from the biggest problem...

In fact he's the only big on this roster that's worth keeping in my opinion. Will fit well next to Zizic.

The rest of our bigs can be shown the door for all I care... Especially KO.

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 10:22:48 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton

In fact he's the only big on this roster that's worth keeping in my opinion. Will fit well next to Zizic.

3 for 8   , 7 points

MAX man

this is what we get

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 10:30:21 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

You picked the wrong night to pick on KO. He played well.

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 10:33:09 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

3 for 8   , 7 points

MAX man

this is what we get

They should make a concerted effort to go to him on offense. He is a very good post player and it will help get the pressure off of IT.

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 10:36:23 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Zeller should be playing Lopez with Horford on Mirotic...Mirotic can't guard anyone but apparently  Amir....

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 10:53:39 PM »

Offline crimcartel

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13

his best thing was passing.. I will give him that.. 4 rebs is unacceptable... Horford had 11!

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 06:12:00 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Horford looks old. Hard to be an effective undersized center on defense and when rebounding when you start to lose your quickness / explosiveness advantage.

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 07:11:17 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Horford looks old. Hard to be an effective undersized center on defense and when rebounding when you start to lose your quickness / explosiveness advantage.

Exactly what I said before we signed him, when everybody insisted that his game would age well because it is 'skill based'. 

People don't get it.  When a really big dude (like a Ewing, or a Shaq, or a Robinson / Duncan / Garnett) loses their athleticism, they can remain effective because they still have the size and length to shoot over guys. 

What was KG's favourite play in the playoffs once he started getting older?  Rondo would lob straight over the defence, and KG would just go up and get it, and put it in.  Length - it's very important when you lose the ability to run and jump.

When you lose the ability to run and jump, and you are also at a size disadvantage most nights, then how are you supposed do anything?  Skill will only get you so far.  You can make a nice pass or two, hit some open jumpers if the defence gives it to you, but that's it.

Lopez is nowhere nearly as as skilled as Horford - not even in the same stratosphere.  But even despite Horford's nice stats in game one, the eye test suggested that Lopez had more impact then he did in both games.  As the old saying goes, you can't teach size.

If Horford was a strong, angry, physical brute - then maybe his passion and energy could overcome those physical limitations somewhat.  But hes too nice, too polite, too placid.  That's why he's going to age rapidly, decline rapidly, and quickly become one of the worst contracts in the NBA.

To make matters worse, Horford was actually never really a GOOD rebounder.  There were a couple of years where he was an above average one, but most of his career he's only been average on the boards.  So it's not like he ever had an amazing nose for the ball, perfect timing, the ultimate in box out skills, etc.  He's just not a naturally great rebounder.  Take away his athleticism and that will drop off exponentially.

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 07:14:39 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton

Exactly what I said before we signed him, when everybody insisted that his game would age well because it is 'skill based'. 

People don't get it.  When a really big dude (like a Ewing, or a Shaq, or a Robinson / Duncan / Garnett) loses their athleticism, they can remain effective because they still have the size and length to shoot over guys. 

What was KG's favourite play in the playoffs once he started getting older?  Rondo would lob straight over the defence, and KG would just go up and get it, and put it in.  Length - it's very important when you lose the ability to run and jump.

When you lose the ability to run and jump, and you are also at a size disadvantage most nights, then how are you supposed do anything?  Skill will only get you so far.  You can make a nice pass or two, hit some open jumpers if the defence gives it to you, but that's it.

Lopez is nowhere nearly as as skilled as Horford - not even in the same stratosphere.  But even despite Horford's nice stats in game one, the eye test suggested that Lopez had more impact then he did in both games.  As the old saying goes, you can't teach size.

If Horford was a strong, angry, physical brute - then maybe his passion and energy could overcome those physical limitations somewhat.  But hes too nice, too polite, too placid.  That's why he's going to age rapidly, decline rapidly, and quickly become one of the worst contracts in the NBA.

To make matters worse, Horford was actually never really a GOOD rebounder.  There were a couple of years where he was an above average one, but most of his career he's only been average on the boards.  So it's not like he ever had an amazing nose for the ball, perfect timing, the ultimate in box out skills, etc.  He's just not a naturally great rebounder.  Take away his athleticism and that will drop off exponentially.

I love Lopez. Imagine him on this team. For me he is like another Smart but at Center. He busts his butt, limited on some things but he wants to do what he can do and he puts so much effort into it, and once he gains a little confidence and gets locked in he is so focused.

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 07:17:35 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

his best thing was passing.. I will give him that.. 4 rebs is unacceptable... Horford had 11!

Come on man. 

Olynyk had 4 rebounds, but he only played about 19 minutes.  Those aren't great numbers but they could be worse considering he's not a rebounding big by nature.

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 07:20:18 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo

I love Lopez. Imagine him on this team. For me he is like another Smart but at Center. He busts his butt, limited on some things but he wants to do what he can do and he puts so much effort into it, and once he gains a little confidence and gets locked in he is so focused.

I agree with you in a sense - I would not be at all against us having Lopez here.

I only disagree with you on the Smart comment.  I'm not a fan of Smart at all.  He played a major part in us losing game one with his terrible first half play, and even though he hit a couple of big shots in the second half..they were on bad shot attempts that he never should have taken (made or not). 

His shot selection and decision making in this series so far have been quite poor, as has been the case all season long.

Haven't watched today's game yet (just got back from work) but on paper it looks like he played better today.

Honestly, I know its an unpopular opinion, but I really want him gone.

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 07:23:50 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Why do people forget that Horford was supposed to be #2 and Durant the #1?  Horford is 2nd option, at best.  He does so many other things well besides scoring.  Everything will be fine next season.

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 07:24:04 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Death to small ball, it is a gimmick and like all gimmicks after a while other teams figure it out.   Time for the Celtics to get up to NBA size.

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2017, 07:46:31 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Come on man. 

Olynyk had 4 rebounds, but he only played about 19 minutes.  Those aren't great numbers but they could be worse considering he's not a rebounding big by nature.

7 assists and a +/- of +2. I am going to go out on a limb and also say that KO was not the problem.

I am not sure wth is going with Lopez on the boards or his knockdown 20-footer, but the bigger problem right now is Rondo doing whatever he wants to do on the court. It is getting everybody else out of position.