Author Topic: So is Stevens teaching the right stuff or are they just tuning him out?  (Read 2123 times)

Re: So is Stevens teaching the right stuff or are they just tuning him out?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 10:54:01 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Fred Hoiberg has an equal number of playoff wins as Brad.  :P

But seriously 2-10.  It's bad.  Dont' care about the context.
This is almost as misleading as saying a coach is 3-12 in the finals. It is that kind of shallow thinking that penalizes people for success. Have a team overperform in the regular season and certain people will blame you when you get exposed in the playoffs.

That's mostly true, but ...

Last year I felt like the team never had a chance.  Yes, there were injuries, but the Hawks were not a great opponent.  It was disappointing that it felt like the Hawks were in control from the start, even though it was 2-2 at one point.

This year, the Celts look worse than they did against the Cavs three years ago.

So overall, I don't think it's THAT misleading to quote the playoff record.

You're just another coach until you do something impressive in the playoffs.  That's all I'm saying.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 11:04:25 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Prior to tonight, has any one ever provided reasonable evidence that Stevens is not a very good coach?  I've read and understood plenty of banter regarding his rotations, but nothing beyond that.  The talent on the floor, however, has always been in question. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 11:20:52 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

This is almost as misleading as saying a coach is 3-12 in the finals. It is that kind of shallow thinking that penalizes people for success. Have a team overperform in the regular season and certain people will blame you when you get exposed in the playoffs.

Last year I felt like the team never had a chance.  Yes, there were injuries, but the Hawks were not a great opponent.  It was disappointing that it felt like the Hawks were in control from the start, even though it was 2-2 at one point.

You're just another coach until you do something impressive in the playoffs.  That's all I'm saying.
Yet if any coach got this roster to overachieve 3 straight years were they made the final but then got swept by much better teams, people would call for his head for being such a failure in the finals.

Until we get our long term roster figured out, I have little confidence that this team can do anything in the playoffs.

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 11:23:40 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Prior to tonight, has any one ever provided reasonable evidence that Stevens is not a very good coach?  I've read and understood plenty of banter regarding his rotations, but nothing beyond that.  The talent on the floor, however, has always been in question.

Stevens IS a good coach.  The Celtics players are also good players.  You don't win 53 games in the NBA by accident.  But when the team looks like it's going to get swept out of the playoffs by a barely .500 Bulls team that has been horribly dysfunctional all season, it's crazy to suggest Stevens doesn't deserve some of the blame for that.

Mike

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 11:31:27 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Yet if any coach got this roster to overachieve 3 straight years were they made the final but then got swept by much better teams, people would call for his head for being such a failure in the finals.

Until we get our long term roster figured out, I have little confidence that this team can do anything in the playoffs.

That's not a legitimate comparison.  They won 53 games in the regular season and just got pantsed twice at home by the worst or second worst team in the playoffs, actually giving a WORSE effort in the second game.  I don't understand why Stevens is the only one who gets a pass for that.

Mike

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2017, 08:49:57 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Right now, it feels like there's something about the playoffs that Stevens isn't quite getting. I don't want to blame him for everything because the players just aren't executing but when that happens, the coach has to try and make adjustments to fix it. Adjustments to lineups or adjustments in the messages he's sending guys.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2017, 09:09:33 AM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
Stevens is a good coach, obviously.  He has to be if his system can get this collection of players to 53 wins.  But his reputation has to take a hit here.  He can't be the coach of relatively the same team for the last 3 years, have 3 fairly quick 1st round exits, and not deserve at least some criticism for it...especially when in the 3rd year, you're a 1 seed getting ousted by an 8 seed.

I don't know if I'm ready to say players are tuning him out.  There may be a little of that, but I don't think it's the reasoning behind what we're seeing.  I think it's more of a case that it's just simply a limited roster.  Guys on this team don't have good rebounding instincts and outside of IT, just about everyone else is a spot-up jump shooter, and inconsistent ones at that.