Poll

If you had to pick one or the other, which one would you take?

Danny Ainge
25 (56.8%)
Brad Stevens
19 (43.2%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Who's better at their job - Ainge or Stevens?  (Read 5853 times)

Re: Who's better at their job - Ainge or Stevens?
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2017, 03:19:32 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
This team has had the same glaying holes and deficiencies for 2 years none of which were even attempted to be solved except a push for a guy who was unlikely to sign in Boston.  Ainge wouldn't give up a worthless pick and a guy that is barely going to play this postseason for a rental even a rental that could have solved many of the issues on the team.  The team has no one that plays inside on either end of the court well.  Has 25 guards and 0 centers (yes that is sarcasm).  The team only has 1 above scorer who is the smallest player in the NBA and who has consistently shown he isn't very effective in the post season.  This is a 40 win team by talent that Stevens just coaches up in the regular season to overachieving levels and then it invariably flames out in the post season.  Ainge needs to stop getting a pass for things he did years ago.  We are now starting to see the effect of having your cake and trying to eat it too.  You just can't do that.  A direction needs to be taken.  This is the summer.

This is all pretty much nonsense that the amateur GMs are seizing on after looking foolish with how this team turned out better than they expected.  It's just like how everyone was going nuts over Portis after Game 1.  In Game 2, Portis played 9 minutes, scored 3 points and had a -11 point differential.

If anything, Ainge is largely validated by the last two games because adding anyone like Ibaka wouldn't make a bit of difference to this squad.  And adding Butler or George surely wouldn't fix the problems either.  Cousins is another thing but let's remember that one of the main reasons we reportedly didn't get him is because STEVENS didn't want him.

I'm not saying Ainge doesn't deserve criticism and the players obviously do, but so does the coach.  The first and biggest problem with this team is the defense and when five of your top eight players are all average to outstanding individual defenders and your defense is as awful as it has been this year for Boston...whose fault is that?

Mike

I think you're both right here.

Moranis is completely spot-on with the need for Ainge to pick a direction and stick to it, and many of us have said this same exact thing since the summer, and especially since the trade deadline. You simply can't have your cake and eat it, too, because this is the type of inherently flawed roster you get when you do that. When Danny is too cheap to spend even some of our lesser assets to upgrade this team, there's no point in even trying to compete now with how much you're handicapping the current team.

But MBunge is also right that Stevens is to blame, too, especially for our defensive woes. This poor defense didn't just suddenly crop up; we've played this type of terrible D all season long, and Brad has STILL not been able to fix it, which is ridiculous when you consider the fact that we have 3 to 4 elite defenders that are in the top 5 in minutes played for us this year. There's absolutely no excuse for the defensive drop-off that we've had this year, and even if it's a player motivation problem, that's on the softy Stevens to figure out. Maybe he needs to sack up a bit, do his job, and motivate his [dang] players to play defense with intensity.

And finally, the players are obviously to blame, too. Specifically, I think much of the blame needs to be put on AB, Jae, and Al, who have consistently fallen below expectations this year, especially defensively. Funnily enough, it seems that IT and Smart always get a ton of blame when in fact they at least bring something (scoring or defense and intensity) every night, which is more than we can say for the rest of the team.

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2017, 03:24:21 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
And finally, the players are obviously to blame, too. Specifically, I think much of the blame needs to be put on AB, Jae, and Al, who have consistently fallen below expectations this year, especially defensively. Funnily enough, it seems that IT and Smart always get a ton of blame when in fact they at least bring something (scoring or defense and intensity) every night, which is more than we can say for the rest of the team.
Everyone you listed brings "something". Bradley brought premium rebounding for a guard, Horford brought premium passing for a big, and Crowder brought .400 three-point shooting. I'm unsure why one group should be getting a free pass over the other.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2017, 03:34:17 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
The product on the floor is the brainchild of both men. They will both be held responsible if this team loses this series, and even more so if they get swept by the lowly Bulls who would mostly not win a series against any other playoff team in the east, yet here they are almost halfway done sweeping us out of the [dang] tourney. I am so p---ed right now, it's like we all knew this could of happened except these two stubborn fools.

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2017, 03:40:13 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Everyone you listed brings "something". Bradley brought premium rebounding for a guard, Horford brought premium passing for a big, and Crowder brought .400 three-point shooting. I'm unsure why one group should be getting a free pass over the other.

Problem is, "premium rebounding for a guard" is not as valuable as "Makes up for Isaiah's shortcomings defensively," which is what we really need from our SG.

Same for Crowder ... the improved shooting is great, but it hasn't made him a better shot creator or rebounder, and he has had a significant dropoff in his defensive impact (last year he forced a million turnovers).

As for Horford, I love his passing and floor spacing, but at times I feel that those things can actually be selfish.  There are times when this team really needs our All-Star caliber PF/C to do is make an impact on the boards and take advantage of weaker opposing big men inside.  Too often Horford is willing to defer, facilitate, and spot-up outside instead of trying to shore up the weaknesses of the team on the interior.

Horford should be averaging 20+ points per game in a series where he's routinely defended by the likes of Niko Mirotic, Bobby Portis, and Christiano Felicio.  It's a tough matchup for him on the boards, but he's getting punked by Robin Lopez, who is not exactly Andre Drummond in terms of cleaning the glass.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2017, 03:44:48 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

Sure, but they all came with caveats - specifically a major step down in defense and intensity for all three of them.

IT upped his scoring while staying similarly terrible defensively, and Smart continued his terrific D while also adding playmaking to his repertoire, along with being the only guy who consistently brought energy and intensity on both sides of the floor each night.

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2017, 03:57:14 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Problem is, "premium rebounding for a guard" is not as valuable as "Makes up for Isaiah's shortcomings defensively," which is what we really need from our SG.

Same for Crowder ... the improved shooting is great, but it hasn't made him a better shot creator or rebounder, and he has had a significant dropoff in his defensive impact (last year he forced a million turnovers).

As for Horford, I love his passing and floor spacing, but at times I feel that those things can actually be selfish.  There are times when this team really needs our All-Star caliber PF/C to do is make an impact on the boards and take advantage of weaker opposing big men inside.  Too often Horford is willing to defer, facilitate, and spot-up outside instead of trying to shore up the weaknesses of the team on the interior.

Horford should be averaging 20+ points per game in a series where he's routinely defended by the likes of Niko Mirotic, Bobby Portis, and Christiano Felicio.  It's a tough matchup for him on the boards, but he's getting punked by Robin Lopez, who is not exactly Andre Drummond in terms of cleaning the glass.
My point was that the "at least he brings something" measure could be applied for every player Potter thought fell below expectations.

Speaking about expectations, I'm not sure why Bradley, Crowder, and Horford have "underperformed". Bradley was the only reason why this team managed to not be a complete laughing stock on the defensive glass. Other than that he was exactly the same player he was last year. Likewise, Crowder was the same player with added premium three point shooting. I'm not sure why Horford "should" be averaging 20 ppg. He's never done that in his entire career, and didn't even come close to this in last year's playoffs when we guarded him with the likes of Jared Sullinger and Kelly Olynyk. He comes exactly as advertised (at least to those who paid attention): a skilled, well-rounded, fundamentally sound player that's not going to lead your team to anything. Not a max contract player and definitely not the second best player on a great team.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2017, 04:00:33 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Speaking about expectations, I'm not sure why Bradley, Crowder, and Horford have "underperformed".

Bradley was the only reason why this team managed to not be a complete laughing stock on the defensive glass. Other than that he was exactly the same player he was last year. Likewise, Crowder was the same player with added premium three point shooting.

I'm not sure why Horford "should" be averaging 20 ppg. He's never done that in his entire career, and didn't even come close to this in last year's playoffs when we guarded him with the likes of Jared Sullinger and Kelly Olynyk. He comes exactly as advertised (at least to those who paid attention): a skilled, well-rounded, fundamentally sound player that's not going to lead your team to anything. Not a max contract player and definitely not the second best player on a great team.

I would say Bradley and Crowder both underperformed this year defensively.  They were not able to make the same kind of defensive impact they had in year's past (though the advanced numbers have always been bad on AB).

Maybe you're right about Horford -- perhaps this is just who he is.  After all, he was signed to be a third option and we just didn't get the chance to sign or trade for the #1 option.

With that said, the player he most reminds me of offensively at age 31 is a 38 year old Pau Gasol.  That's not a good look, and Al's scoring production overall has gone down this year.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2017, 04:04:40 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

My point was that the "at least he brings something" measure could be applied for every player Potter thought fell below expectations.

Speaking about expectations, I'm not sure why Bradley, Crowder, and Horford have "underperformed". Bradley was the only reason why this team managed to not be a complete laughing stock on the defensive glass. Other than that he was exactly the same player he was last year. Likewise, Crowder was the same player with added premium three point shooting. I'm not sure why Horford "should" be averaging 20 ppg. He's never done that in his entire career, and didn't even come close to this in last year's playoffs when we guarded him with the likes of Jared Sullinger and Kelly Olynyk. He comes exactly as advertised (at least to those who paid attention): a skilled, well-rounded, fundamentally sound player that's not going to lead your team to anything. Not a max contract player and definitely not the second best player on a great team.

Huh? Are you watching the same Celtics team as the rest of us?

Sure, AB was good early in the year before the Achilles injury, but he's been terrible ever since, including a significant drop in his rebounding numbers.

And while Jae has improved his shot, it's come at the expense of him being much worse defensively this year, which isn't a fair trade-off for what this particular team needs.

And while Al has statistically been about where he's been most of his career, the change in teams and his role should've upped his scoring quite a bit. He's far too often been willing to sit back and let others shoot, which isn't what a max player should be doing. And that's not even mentioning his ridiculous rebounding and defensive woes this year. I believe that I read somewhere that we're something like 12 points worse with him on the floor so far this series, which is crazy given his supposed defensive reputation.

EDIT: Here's the numbers -

Meanwhile, the rest of the Celtics have not stepped up. The Boston defense goes to pieces, 12 points worse per 100 possessions, with free agent diamond Al Horford on the floor.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-playoffs-2017-bonafide-stars-lift-bulls-to-2-0-lead-as-celtics-formula-breaks-down/

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2017, 04:04:42 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Sure, but they all came with caveats - specifically a major step down in defense and intensity for all three of them.

IT upped his scoring while staying similarly terrible defensively, and Smart continued his terrific D while also adding playmaking to his repertoire, along with being the only guy who consistently brought energy and intensity on both sides of the floor each night.
Not sure how much I buy this. Sure, there was slippage defensively, but overall the team didn't suffer a precipitous defensive fall on the balance (from 5th to 12th in NBA.com's ratings). Also, last year's defense was somewhat overrated.

Also, I'm not sure why you think Horford had a major step down on defense. I didn't find him materially different with us than I remember him for the rest of his career.

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2017, 04:10:08 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

Not sure how much I buy this. Sure, there was slippage defensively, but overall the team didn't suffer a precipitous defensive fall on the balance (from 5th to 12th in NBA.com's ratings). Also, last year's defense was somewhat overrated.

Also, I'm not sure why you think Horford had a major step down on defense. I didn't find him materially different with us than I remember him for the rest of his career.

This isn't considering the trend of the league, though.

Sure, 5th to 12th isn't a HUGE jump in a vacuum, though it is significant, but that represents a jump from 100.9 last year to 105.5 this year, which is huge. That same number would've put us 20th last year, which is a much bigger jump.

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2017, 04:13:17 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Sure, AB was good early in the year before the Achilles injury, but he's been terrible ever since, including a significant drop in his rebounding numbers.

And while Jae has improved his shot, it's come at the expense of him being much worse defensively this year, which isn't a fair trade-off for what this particular team needs.

And while Al has statistically been about where he's been most of his career, the change in teams and his role should've upped his scoring quite a bit. He's far too often been willing to sit back and let others shoot, which isn't what a max player should be doing. And that's not even mentioning his ridiculous rebounding and defensive woes this year. I believe that I read somewhere that we're something like 12 points worse with him on the floor so far this series, which is crazy given his supposed defensive reputation.

Meanwhile, the rest of the Celtics have not stepped up. The Boston defense goes to pieces, 12 points worse per 100 possessions, with free agent diamond Al Horford on the floor.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-playoffs-2017-bonafide-stars-lift-bulls-to-2-0-lead-as-celtics-formula-breaks-down/
Bradley's rebounding numbers dropped from ~7 rpg before the injury to ~5 rpg after. Also, in his "terrible" version he was still more productive, on average, last year.Either way, I'm not sure what you expected from someone who missed nearly 2 months of action.

Also re: Al Horford, his role is not fundamentally different with us than it was with Atlanta, where he played second banana to Paul Millsap. The unrealistic expectation for him are mind-boggling.

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2017, 04:19:16 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

Bradley's rebounding numbers dropped from ~7 rpg before the injury to ~5 rpg after. Also, in his "terrible" version he was still more productive, on average, last year.Either way, I'm not sure what you expected from someone who missed nearly 2 months of action.

Also re: Al Horford, his role is not fundamentally different with us than it was with Atlanta, where he played second banana to Paul Millsap. The unrealistic expectation for him are mind-boggling.

Once again, huh? Did Teague also not play on that team? Horford was the third option on that team behind both Millsap and Teague. He's the second option on this team, or at least he was supposed to be, so I don't understand how you think his role isn't different and larger here.

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2017, 04:20:53 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Let's blame Ainge for a team choking? What lol? We were the number 1 seed, and if we weren't the number 1 seed then we would be the number 2. Either way, this is an epic choke job. The blame can only really go on Stevens. We're getting pushed around by their guards. It's not just Lopez. Stevens has done a bad job.

For actual non-bias, not overtly negative bias accurate insight on the series, please read this article. But if you don't like facts, then it's all good.

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-playoffs-boston-celtics-chicago-bulls-game-2-b162f42ad989

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2017, 04:42:02 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Once again, huh? Did Teague also not play on that team? Horford was the third option on that team behind both Millsap and Teague. He's the second option on this team, or at least he was supposed to be, so I don't understand how you think his role isn't different and larger here.
... under the bridge, my friends.

I don't think you can consider Teague higher on the offensive totem pole than Horford. That's a player who is largely comparable to Bradley and Crowder in terms of offensive output.

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2017, 04:48:40 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
... under the bridge, my friends.

I don't think you can consider Teague higher on the offensive totem pole than Horford. That's a player who is largely comparable to Bradley and Crowder in terms of offensive output.

Sure you can. Bradley and Crowder might be better set shooters than Teague, but Teague is pretty much better in every other area offensively.

He can create for himself and others; Bradley can't dribble more than three times or make anything more than a basic pass without turning it over, and Crowder is incapable of anything but a straight-line drive. Teague is a much more complete overall offensive player than either Bradley or Crowder.