Poll

If you had to pick one or the other, which one would you take?

Danny Ainge
25 (56.8%)
Brad Stevens
19 (43.2%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Who's better at their job - Ainge or Stevens?  (Read 5847 times)

Re: Who's better at their job - Ainge or Stevens?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 08:15:26 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I went with Stevens, but if we don't get to the conference finals I could want to switch

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 09:18:12 PM »

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
Stevens can only coach the players who he has in front of him.

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 09:22:49 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
You can't properly evaluate Ainge without considering whether or not he was gifted KG.  And since that's not a question that can be refuted (either way), it's not possible to properly evaluate Ainge beyond "Relative to his counterparts, he's a very good GM." I'd say that statement applies equally to Stevens.

There's no evidence that the Celtics were gifted KG. They put together a large package at the time.
Certainly, more significant than the Pau Gasol deal to L.A.-now that was a gift.
But it's apples and oranges.  Ainge set the table, Brad has done the cooking-the only question is, when do we eat?
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 09:34:36 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Stevens can only coach the players who he has in front of him.

That's true, and it's a flawed roster.

At the same time, IF we lose to a #8 seed it's a really bad look. Stevens also allegedly has been vocal about player personnel, so he probably deserves some of the blame / credit there, too.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 09:44:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm with Roy, I don't see how Brad gets out of this Celts - Bulls series with his rep as a top coach intact.

You can only coach the guys in front of you, but to be honest I haven't seen much evidence that his teams raise their level of play in the post-season, and right now we're almost 12 full games into his career as a coach in the playoffs.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 10:20:33 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Both will be in deep doo doo if they don't get deep into playoffs next year.

Ainge needs a real big man in the worst way. But he doesn't seem to want one.

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 10:23:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Stevens can't keep his reputation intact after this series.  Sorry.  I'm officially skeptical on Brad.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2017, 10:25:43 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
He needs a better assistant coach whos very good with X and O's. Jay Larranga just sucks. Doc had Thibs during their championship run.

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2017, 10:31:17 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Stevens can't keep his reputation intact after this series.  Sorry.  I'm officially skeptical on Brad.

Been there for awhile, as I said in my earlier post.

Sorry, but skilled wings and swings and things with high character trumping and at the expense of length, rebounding and rim protection may have worked at Butler,  not here with the big boys.

And Stevens has had way more than he probably should say in the personnel the decisions.

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2017, 10:44:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
This team has had the same glaying holes and deficiencies for 2 years none of which were even attempted to be solved except a push for a guy who was unlikely to sign in Boston.  Ainge wouldn't give up a worthless pick and a guy that is barely going to play this postseason for a rental even a rental that could have solved many of the issues on the team.  The team has no one that plays inside on either end of the court well.  Has 25 guards and 0 centers (yes that is sarcasm).  The team only has 1 above scorer who is the smallest player in the NBA and who has consistently shown he isn't very effective in the post season.  This is a 40 win team by talent that Stevens just coaches up in the regular season to overachieving levels and then it invariably flames out in the post season.  Ainge needs to stop getting a pass for things he did years ago.  We are now starting to see the effect of having your cake and trying to eat it too.  You just can't do that.  A direction needs to be taken.  This is the summer.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2017, 11:00:52 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Agree with Moranis.  Stevens should be applauded for what he did this season (and last).  The issue is with talent, and that rests squarely on Ainge's shoulders.  If he was content knowing we'd fail to this extent in the playoffs without upgrading the frontcourt, more power to him. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2017, 02:41:49 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Agree with Moranis.  Stevens should be applauded for what he did this season (and last).  The issue is with talent, and that rests squarely on Ainge's shoulders.  If he was content knowing we'd fail to this extent in the playoffs without upgrading the frontcourt, more power to him.
If the guys on the court aren't good enough, that's on Ainge. But you can't blame Ainge for the guys on the court not trying on defense. And that's what happened last night.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2017, 03:05:34 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
This team has had the same glaying holes and deficiencies for 2 years none of which were even attempted to be solved except a push for a guy who was unlikely to sign in Boston.  Ainge wouldn't give up a worthless pick and a guy that is barely going to play this postseason for a rental even a rental that could have solved many of the issues on the team.  The team has no one that plays inside on either end of the court well.  Has 25 guards and 0 centers (yes that is sarcasm).  The team only has 1 above scorer who is the smallest player in the NBA and who has consistently shown he isn't very effective in the post season.  This is a 40 win team by talent that Stevens just coaches up in the regular season to overachieving levels and then it invariably flames out in the post season.  Ainge needs to stop getting a pass for things he did years ago.  We are now starting to see the effect of having your cake and trying to eat it too.  You just can't do that.  A direction needs to be taken.  This is the summer.

This is all pretty much nonsense that the amateur GMs are seizing on after looking foolish with how this team turned out better than they expected.  It's just like how everyone was going nuts over Portis after Game 1.  In Game 2, Portis played 9 minutes, scored 3 points and had a -11 point differential.

If anything, Ainge is largely validated by the last two games because adding anyone like Ibaka wouldn't make a bit of difference to this squad.  And adding Butler or George surely wouldn't fix the problems either.  Cousins is another thing but let's remember that one of the main reasons we reportedly didn't get him is because STEVENS didn't want him.

I'm not saying Ainge doesn't deserve criticism and the players obviously do, but so does the coach.  The first and biggest problem with this team is the defense and when five of your top eight players are all average to outstanding individual defenders and your defense is as awful as it has been this year for Boston...whose fault is that?

Mike

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2017, 03:08:32 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Completely agree, although the posters who line up to make excuses for Ainge are going to have a stroke.

Fact is, his signature accomplishment of late has produced one draft bust, a second pick who was so horrific defensively last night that he had to be buried on the bench and two futures.

Not a whole lot.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2017, 03:19:32 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I don't think how you can look at our playoff performance (where coaching counts a lot more since you play the same team and have ample time to devise game plans) and not put blame on Stevens' shoulders. This team was good enough to win 53 games in the regular season. It should be good enough to not be down 0-2 against the Bulls.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."