Poll

If you had to pick one or the other, which one would you take?

Danny Ainge
25 (56.8%)
Brad Stevens
19 (43.2%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Author Topic: Who's better at their job - Ainge or Stevens?  (Read 5852 times)

Who's better at their job - Ainge or Stevens?
« on: April 18, 2017, 06:25:38 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
Ainge has gotten a lot of heat on here since the loss in Game 1, so I wanted to see who everyone would rather have between Ainge and Stevens.

Re: Who's better at their job - Ainge or Stevens?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 06:27:34 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I'd rather compare them to other teams. Both above average.

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 06:28:34 PM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
Personally, while I like what Stevens has done here thus far, he's still unproven in the playoffs. On the other hand, Ainge may have made some mistakes here and there, but he was also a major factor in Banner 17. I'm glad we have both of them, but if forced to choose, Ainge would get my vote.

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 06:37:19 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Stevens has made lemonade out of the sour lemons Ainge keeps handing him. I can't figure out if it's Ainge not wanting to pull the trigger or Stevens saying "we're good". I wonder can Stevens elevate his coaching with better talent. Sometimes mediocre makes you look good and not everyone can handle when being great and high expectations are bestowed on them.

Stevens came from Butler to the NBA. He didn't come from UK, UNC, Duke. That is quite a jump. It's like a coach at D-III being a great coach and then when he moves to D-I, he can't coach up better players.

I like Stevens but how he hasn't gone bonkers for Ainge to get him better talent is strange to me.

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 06:44:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Not close . 

Stevens ...given a train wreck , not allowed to tank ,  not great drafting  ....look at the pos he has had waiting for him ...diva .Rondo , no defense Rondo....not the good ol Rondo. ....what a pain to start off with. 100 different players ....old cast offs, sorry draft picks .

Ainge best moves .   Bringing KG to Boston 

Steven hiring was his prize move for a legacy. 

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 06:46:55 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
Not close . 

Steven ....look at the pos he has had .... diva .Rondo , no defense Rondo....not the good Rondo. ....what a pain to start off with.

Ainge best moves .   Bringing KG to Boston 

Steven hiring was his prize move for a legacy.
lets not act like Brad did a good job with Rondo.

we sucked once Danny got rid of the diva.

Advantage Danny for me, but its close.

Wyc-Danny-Brad is such a blessing.

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 06:52:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Bottom 5 record to 1 seed in two years, and the biggest FA addition over that span was 30 year old Al Horford.

It's Danny Ainge.

He's far from perfect, but the man deserves his due.  He put together a team that won a title and made the Finals twice in three years, not to mention five straight years of 50+ win caliber basketball.  He dismantled that team when its time was up, and has since put together an almost completely new group of players that won 48 games last year and 53 games this year, with plenty of assets left in the tank to improve the team further.

The Celts under Stevens have consistently given good effort and played a fairly disciplined style of basketball.  He has done a pretty good job so far avoiding any major chemistry issues or controversies, and he seems to set his players up to succeed.

All of that said, Stevens needs to coach his team to some more playoff wins before he earns his cred as one of the best coaches in the league.  Many teams are well coached and play with consistent effort and discipline.  Few ever make it past the 1st round of the playoffs.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 07:02:02 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Bottom 5 record to 1 seed in two years, and the biggest FA addition over that span was 30 year old Al Horford.

It's Danny Ainge.

He's far from perfect, but the man deserves his due.  He put together a team that won a title and made the Finals twice in three years, not to mention five straight years of 50+ win caliber basketball.  He dismantled that team when its time was up, and has since put together an almost completely new group of players that won 48 games last year and 53 games this year, with plenty of assets left in the tank to improve the team further.

The Celts under Stevens have consistently given good effort and played a fairly disciplined style of basketball.  He has done a pretty good job so far avoiding any major chemistry issues or controversies, and he seems to set his players up to succeed.

All of that said, Stevens needs to coach his team to some more playoff wins before he earns his cred as one of the best coaches in the league.  Many teams are well coached and play with consistent effort and discipline.  Few ever make it past the 1st round of the playoffs.

DA also has that small trade were he traded 3 guys near the end of their careers for Brown, possible Fultz/Jackson/Tatum/Ball, and who knows next draft, could be a top 5 pick, at worst 8? Unless the Bball Gods hate us, and KD,Griffin and Hayward all end up there.

Stevens has been good, I didn't expect him to sniff the playoffs till this season, but his learning curve and what he dose with the players DA hands him has been solid.   

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 07:10:55 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

It's Danny Ainge.

I mean, yeah. This. Exactly.

Emphasis on the last bit. The C's have overachieved every season under Brad and he deserves much credit. But he hasn't been on the job all that long and the transitional period in which he arrived has not given us the best look at exactly how effective of a coach he is on the biggest stages. He has more to prove.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 07:17:27 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
You can't properly evaluate Ainge without considering whether or not he was gifted KG.  And since that's not a question that can be refuted (either way), it's not possible to properly evaluate Ainge beyond "Relative to his counterparts, he's a very good GM." I'd say that statement applies equally to Stevens.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 07:23:00 PM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
I consider this pretty easy the answer is Danny, a few people have added some good reasons but one other one to think of is the hiring of Brad Stevens, Danny went to a mid major college basketball program and saw a talented coach. That isn't someone that would have been on all NBA GMs radar.

If Brad were to leave I would certainly have faith in Danny to go out and find another great coach, there is nothing Brad can do to get another great GM if we were to lose Danny.

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 07:24:39 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
TP for the thread.

Ainge, and it's not even close.

Stevens is this fair-haired boy and Ainge takes all the heat.

Lots of questions about Brad for me.

Can he win a playoff series?

Maybe Butler-ball can win in the regular season, but can it win a championship, never mind a single playoff series?

Can he coach and be successful with difficult personalities? (Cousins, Rondo?) And if he is fearful of those personalities, how much does that hurt our opportunities to build a contending team?

And he has said a couple of what I perceive to be disingenuous things about his current roster/team to mitigate the fallout if they don't do well in the playoffs.

All that glitters........

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 07:25:16 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
You can't properly evaluate Ainge without considering whether or not he was gifted KG.  And since that's not a question that can be refuted (either way), it's not possible to properly evaluate Ainge beyond "Relative to his counterparts, he's a very good GM." I'd say that statement applies equally to Stevens.

1 Ring with 3 Hall of Famers says it all

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 07:54:53 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Stevens is a good coach, but he's yet to win a playoff series.

Ainge got us a title, and has pulled off multiple franchise-altering trades.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 08:02:12 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Stevens is a good coach, but he's yet to win a playoff series.

Ainge got us a title, and has pulled off multiple franchise-altering trades.

That's easy.  Stevens

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell