Author Topic: C's play so hard all year, don't have another gear.  (Read 1258 times)

C's play so hard all year, don't have another gear.
« on: April 18, 2017, 05:17:24 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Overachiever's play so hard all year, but just don't have that playoff gear that all the great teams do.

It's tough to say but probably true.

Re: C's play so hard all year, don't have another gear.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 05:30:28 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
They had to play hard because they didn't have the help "genius" Danny Ainge was supposed to get them.  They had to play hard otherwise they wouldn't have won so many games. 

Thing is they didn't play hard all year.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 05:35:02 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
You may be right about this.  I don't really see any of the C's able to take it to another level.  But, it is true that each of the inconsistent Cs (basically everyone other than IT), have the potential to have a big game.  In a 7-game series (now 6) need AB, AH, MS, KO or JC to come up big.  Could happen for Jaylen, GG or TZ too.  I don't think there's another team gear, but there is a chance that we can have single-game explosions from individuals (like Portis did).  Al and Avery need to step up the consistency and need to put in 15-18 efficient points.

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 05:36:34 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
They are too short dude lol

I just realized this

Our guards are just to short for the scorers they got

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 05:44:17 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
They had to play hard because they didn't have the help "genius" Danny Ainge was supposed to get them.  They had to play hard otherwise they wouldn't have won so many games. 

I'm certainly not mocking them. Hats off to busting there tail almost all year long. Most teams don't, like The Bulls, Knicks, Pacers,

We just don't have that top to talent to step up.

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 05:58:26 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
  • GOT IT!!!

Please quit filling every thread with Ainge vitriol.

As for the topic, I haven't seen another gear this season. Maybe other teams just take this team more seriously now?

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 06:12:25 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

Please quit filling every thread with Ainge vitriol.

As for the topic, I haven't seen another gear this season. Maybe other teams just take this team more seriously now?
TP Clench

IMO it was just another negligent move(non-move) by Ainge to do nothing at the deadline and send this team into the playoffs without a big.

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 06:38:57 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Overachiever's play so hard all year, but just don't have that playoff gear that all the great teams do.

It's tough to say but probably true.

I can't agree.  Consistent effort has been a problem all year with this team, magnified by a few too many absolutely putrid performances.

It's true this team won 53 games despite only having one guy playing at an all-star level (IT) but it's also true that we've got five legit NBA starters, three main bench guys who would be starting on most bad teams in the league and another three or four guys who would be regular rotation players on all but the best teams in the league.

If this team had played with consistent effort, they might have won 5 or 6 more games.  On the other hand, take away some amazing IT performances and huge plays by Smart and they might have lost 10 more games.

Mike

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 06:52:38 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
IT aside this is a team that has to perform as a champion team, not a team of champions. They still have to do what the thread says and find their playoff gear. I believe this team can play at a higher level but it has to come from across the board. The core of IT, AB, Horford and Amir have been consistent. Crawford needs to more consistent (very good when he is on but goes too far the other way when struggling) and the bench need to step up their contribution to the scoreboard. This last point is the biggest thing. We lose too much momentum when the bench players are on the court and not just in scoring. Every play has to be given its full value.

Stevens can't not rest the starters and obviously would like to make as few changes as possible to effective combinations. His hands are tied though if bench players can't perform at a higher level.

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 06:55:01 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Our defense was at another gear last year and we should honestly be improved by roster moves this year. 

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 07:26:53 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
This was true last year when we were ferociously intense in a lot of regular season games, especially on D. It basically stopped being an advantage in the playoffs when Atlanta was playing nearly as hard or harder throughout.

Much less true this year where our efforts seemed more measured with just a handful of exceptions.

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 07:33:43 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
This was true last year when we were ferociously intense in a lot of regular season games, especially on D. It basically stopped being an advantage in the playoffs when Atlanta was playing nearly as hard or harder throughout.

Much less true this year where our efforts seemed more measured with just a handful of exceptions.

Yeah, I don't see it this year. We looked like we went at 60-70% at best during the regular season. If that was our best effort, then this team is really screwed.

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 07:45:56 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
The extra gear we do still have is if either/both Marcus and/or Jaylen rise to the occasion and contribute like a star/stars. Other than that, you're right. Bummer thread.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.