Author Topic: The Bulls vs Celtics GIF thread (mistakes, bad plays, bad calls) Reality check..  (Read 1306 times)

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
I just watched the first game, and I marked at least 30 instances of bad plays, bad calls , and mistakes... I'm going to continuously update this as the series goes, hopefully for more than 4 games and more than 1 series as it goes (updating the title too)

Bad defense by IT , like very very bad, gives Portis the open lane, Olynyk does a decent job , but who is left to rebound? IT vs Lopez? you know the outcome

https://youtu.be/Yoy7bKnHNq8

Here is the first one....IT not playing up on Rondo, basically knowing he can go under, but what happens? Looks like bad communication or downright dumb mistake by Smart? who literally turns himself around and lets Rondo go to the basket. This is where Celtic fans ended up going crazy at Olynyk in the game thread, which I found funny now that I see the play and how bad the defense was on the perimeter.

https://youtu.be/tcnf6I32Fxg

Freaking Olynyk strikes. Terrible box out, good move by Lopez but just terrible awareness from Olynyk on this off rebound and put back by Lopez

https://youtu.be/NwFG8dNClqo

Marcus Smart falls for the up fake, Jerian Grant goes in for an and 1. Amazing. Not one peep in the game thread though, another blame Olynyk play (who mind you is soft)

https://youtu.be/c_lbMKtlp6s
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 11:44:05 AM by celtics2030 »

Re: The Bulls vs Celtics GIF thread (mistakes, bad plays, bad calls)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 11:15:56 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I just watched the first game, and I marked at least 30 instances of bad plays, bad calls , and mistakes... I'm going to continuously update this as the series goes, hopefully for more than 4 games and more than 1 series as it goes (updating the title too)

Here is the first one....IT not playing up on Rondo, basically knowing he can go under, but what happens? Looks like bad communication or downright dumb mistake by Smart? who literally turns himself around and lets Rondo go to the basket. This is where Celtic fans ended up going crazy at Olynyk in the game thread, which I found funny now that I see the play and how bad the defense was on the perimeter.

http://i.imgur.com/WQZupi1.mp4

I guess GIF do not work here?

I was fine with this play. Marcus wasnt going to move off of Butler and have IT4 guard him. It's not like Rondo's the primary threat. It's actually Olynyk's fault for not challenging stronger at the rim and Rondo's credit for finishing.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 11:21:09 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton

I was fine with this play. Marcus wasnt going to move off of Butler and have IT4 guard him. It's not like Rondo's the primary threat. It's actually Olynyk's fault for not challenging stronger at the rim and Rondo's credit for finishing.

And here is the first example. So you are fine with horrific defense up top and terrible communication allowing Rondo an easy lane full speed to the basket but you blame Olynyk who has his own priority of guarding somebody else, but congrats for giving Rondo credit on one of the easiest plays he would have to make.

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 11:43:05 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

And here is the first example. So you are fine with horrific defense up top and terrible communication allowing Rondo an easy lane full speed to the basket but you blame Olynyk who has his own priority of guarding somebody else, but congrats for giving Rondo credit on one of the easiest plays he would have to make.

Technically, that play actually was Kelly's fault. Smart tried to hard show to give IT time to go under the screen. However, Butler feigned a slip (the correct play when the screener's defender shows), traveled two feet towards the hoop, reset his feet, and set a "butt screen" on IT. Isaiah actually was trying to go under the screen, which was, ironically, what made him run into Butler's second screen, which was lower than the first.

Kelly should have come up to bump the roll man as soon as Butler made the slip action (which would have put him in position to stop Rondo's drive before he got too deep into the paint), although the play is especally hard to defend because the Bulls put a big on the strong block with a shooter in the strong corner. By design, Horford was trapped on the weak side, too far away to help. That's the advantage of a guard-guard screen-and-roll: the Celtics' last line of defense on that play, had Kelly done the correct thing positionally and made Rondo pass the ball, was essentially Avery Bradley on Robin Lopez. That wasn't necessarily any terrible defensive breakdown; it was just a great play by Hoiberg with some great screen-and-role execution by Butler and Rondo.

There really was no right thing for Kelly to do there. Although the correct positional basketball play was to stop Rondo, it would have left Lopez with an open dunk. Maybe Kelly didn't want to leave his guy in the spur-of-the-moment. In reality, to the OP's point, you would like for IT and Marcus to contain the drive and never force Olynyk to make that decision. Once again, though, I wouldn't consider that a terrible breakdown; it was more elite execution by the Bulls. What Butler did is probably the 12th option you teach in a pick-and-roll series, and he executed it perfectly legally and smoothly.

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
All that writing for nothing. Primarily because the problem started at the top, if anything it was terrible communication by Smart and IT. How can you blame somebody that was not even in the play at the moment, Kelly was guarding his man who was literally 3 feet from the basket on the baseline. Somehow you tell me IT and Smart were doing the correct things? Laughable. I am trying hard to understand the logic but I just cant sometime.

I guess this was also Olynyks fault for falling for an upfake and getting blown by

https://youtu.be/c_lbMKtlp6s

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 11:58:30 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

That one is more on Smart I think.  But maybe Olynyk a little as well.  Butler sets the screen and IT starts to go under, which is how you play a screen set for Rondo.  Except Butler moves towards the hoop as well, continuing to screen IT as he attempts to go under the screen.  Meanwhile Marcus also sticks to Butler, creating the lane for Rondo the Olynyk does not fill.

So the three players involved had the following choices:

1) IT could have fought underneath the screen a little more, and potentially earned an offensive foul call for the moving screen.  More likely there would have been no call and Rondo would have still had the lane.

2) Marcus could have switched onto Rondo briefly to deny him the lane.  I think he should have done this, but maybe he wasn't aware of how well Butler was shielding IT from going under the screen.  Rondo may have passed to Butler to take advantage of the switch, but that's still better than giving up the wide open driving lane.

3) Olynyk could have stepped into the lane.  Yes, that would have left his man open.  But it's better to force a pass and hope your teammates can continue to rotate, or maybe cause an imperfect pass that allows you time to recover.  Waving at Rondo as he drove to the rim was pretty useless. 

I think most of the blame on this play goes to Marcus, but Olynyk still needs to step up and defend even if it ultimately ceded an open pass to the guy he's currently guarding.

Also, some credit goes to Butler for that subtle slide towards the hoop that keeps IT from getting back to Rondo.  That helped cause the breakdown in the first place.

EDIT: GetLucky posted something similar as I was writing this.  TP to him.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 12:04:14 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 12:04:12 PM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton

That one is more on Smart I think.  But maybe Olynyk a little as well.  Butler sets the screen and IT starts to go under, which is how you play a screen set for Rondo.  Except Butler moves towards the hoop as well, continuing to screen IT as he attempts to go under the screen.  Meanwhile Marcus also sticks to Butler, creating the lane for Rondo the Olynyk does not fill.

So the three players involved had the following choices:

1) IT could have fought underneath the screen a little more, and potentially earned an offensive foul call for the moving screen.  More likely there would have been no call and Rondo would have still had the lane.

2) Marcus could have switched onto Rondo briefly to deny him the lane.  I think he should have done this, but maybe he wasn't aware of how well Butler was shielding IT from going under the screen.  Rondo may have passed to Butler to take advantage of the switch, but that's still better than giving up the wide open driving lane.

3) Olynyk could have stepped into the lane.  Yes, that would have left his man open.  But it's better to force a pass and hope your teammates can continue to rotate, or maybe cause an imperfect pass that allows you time to recover.  Waving at Rondo as he drove to the rim was pretty useless. 

I think most of the blame on this play goes to Marcus, but Olynyk still needs to step up and defend even if it ultimately ceded an open pass to the guy he's currently guarding.

Also, some credit goes to Butler for that subtle slide towards the hoop that keeps IT from getting back to Rondo.  That helped cause the breakdown in the first place.

Good points , really good, but you have to surround the entire play with more bias though.

Meaning , If Olynyk does come up  , its most likely an easy layup and a lambasting of Olynyk for leaving his man. I mean you know that is what would happen.

So yea Smart or even IT get the blame possibly for bad communication on who would stay with Butler, no way an elite defender like Smart should not know that, because at that point IT was not going to get back to Rondo. Smart completely gets turnover when he should have been able to slow down or get in front of him.

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
Olynyk is sooo soft

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
On the defensive end, our guards are not stay in front of their men, they easily get picked off, allowing the opposing guards to get into the paint, forcing our bigs to react, which in turn looses them rebounding position.

Bradley while being a fine man on man defender in the open court is smallish 6-2 175, slight of build, and does not fight threw picks very well. IT is worse of all, he continually allows his man to get into the paint, causing our bigs to react. The reaction pulls them out of rebounding position, then giving up the dreaded offensive RB.

We're not a good rebounding team, but there has to be a reason other than "our bigs don't get good rebounding position" all the time.

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
IT and Olynk both didn't do the right thing but you can't blame them, defense just isn't their game
That said if you want to win you need to force the other team to adjust to you, in this case KO needs to attack more and make more
KO without offense is truly worthless

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
It's not IT4's fault for his bad defense against Robin Lopez. The guy is only 5'9" and is getting outrebounded by a 7' center.

Blame stiff punk Kelly Olynyk for just standing there getting abused inside.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
It's not IT4's fault for his bad defense against Robin Lopez. The guy is only 5'9" and is getting outrebounded by a 7' center.

Blame stiff punk Kelly Olynyk for just standing there getting abused inside.

See this is the problem with a fan like you who just doesn't fully examine the play.

And its the same thing I said to the last poster on how people will selectively blame a player just because they want to.

I love IT , but he failed miserably and let Portis a gift open lane to the basket. Olynyk left his man to contest the shot, which he did.......

sadly contesting the shot took him out of the play and Lopez was there to cleanup.

You want to blame Olynyk for completely being left on an island? how about blaming the others for not crashing the boards.

Nobody is blaming IT for not rebounding that lol. I'm blaming him for the horrific defense at the start of the play.

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
Rondo slices and dices IT and Smart

https://www.youtube.com/upload