Poll

What did you think of Barkley's comments?

Out of line. He needs to Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.!
Taken out of context. Nothing to see here folks

Author Topic: Barkley "uncomfortable" comment on IT - your thoughts?  (Read 4645 times)

Barkley "uncomfortable" comment on IT - your thoughts?
« on: April 17, 2017, 10:29:10 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Did you guys catch Inside the NBA? They discuss IT's sister's passing and Chuck made some curious comments. The particular one that stood out was after they showed the clip of IT crying before the game, Chuck said he felt uncomfortable seeing IT like that.

Now, as with most things on the internet, it only takes a tiny spark to create a forest fire. I watched the whole clip and I honestly didn't see any malice in his words. I didn't think he meant to tell IT to man up or that he shouldn't be crying or anything. However, I also know some people who are downright furious at Chuck for his comments.

As the most fanatical C's fans I know, I'm curious to see what people on CB thought about the whole thing. Was Chuck out of line? Was he taken out of context?
- LilRip

Re: Barkley "uncomfortable" comment on IT - your thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 10:30:32 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
- LilRip

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 10:34:45 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I personally think it's taken out of context...I think Barkley is the type who speaks his mind but just delivers them poorly...I think there were a couple of comments he made a year or two ago about the BLM movement which i agreed with but people criticized him for it.

Back to topic, I interpreted his opinion as "it makes him uncomfortable because it was tough to watch". Or "it makes him uncomfortable because the media is showing that on live television, and Thomas should be left alone". I mean quite honestly, I don't think anyone with a heart with blame or think negatively on Thomas for showing up to the game or even crying

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 10:37:21 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I think Charles has a big heart, and sincerely felt bad for IT and that the media was focusing on his situation.

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 10:38:11 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I personally think it's taken out of context...I think Barkley is the type who speaks his mind but just delivers them poorly...I think there were a couple of comments he made a year or two ago about the BLM movement which i agreed with but people criticized him for it.

Back to topic, I interpreted his opinion as "it makes him uncomfortable because it was tough to watch". Or "it makes him uncomfortable because the media is showing that on live television, and Thomas should be left alone". I mean quite honestly, I don't think anyone with a heart with blame or think negatively on Thomas for showing up to the game or even crying

I honestly took it as the latter. Almost like Barkley thought that IT should be left to feel his emotions instead of the network showing it on National television as some part of a narrative. Like it shows what kind of warrior IT is that he even showed up, but my goodness give the man a little privacy. Do you know how many times they showed the picture of him being held by Bradley and crying? I get that we are acknowledging the pain IT is feeling, but there becomes a point where you should let the man feel his emotions. He showed up both for himself and the city of Boston, you don't have to show him being emotional during the moment of silence.
#JKJB

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 10:39:02 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Was anybody actually comfortable watching IT cry?

Charles has said some dumb things in the past, but this isn't on that list.

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 10:45:23 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
After watching it I think Barkley was clumsily combining two reactions he was having:

- He felt terrible watching IT's pain on the sideline, and maybe that they were focusing on it on camera.

- He thought IT being so visibly upset so close to the game meant he wasn't in the right state of mind to play.

Seemed like he jumbled them up in a way that came out as not very sympathetic. I don't see it as a big deal either way.

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 10:46:54 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

I honestly took it as the latter. Almost like Barkley thought that IT should be left to feel his emotions instead of the network showing it on National television as some part of a narrative. Like it shows what kind of warrior IT is that he even showed up, but my goodness give the man a little privacy. Do you know how many times they showed the picture of him being held by Bradley and crying? I get that we are acknowledging the pain IT is feeling, but there becomes a point where you should let the man feel his emotions. He showed up both for himself and the city of Boston, you don't have to show him being emotional during the moment of silence.

I agree, after the 1st time i felt they were exploiting the fact he was hurting, i mean tbh that made me "uncomfortable" too, i mean [dang] give the man some privacy.

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 11:00:49 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas

I actually interpreted it as Charles felt uncomfortable for IT. Like, he felt like IT isn't in any shape to play (obviously, that's wrong because IT played well) and he even says that IT is obviously devastated as we all would be if we lost a sibling. So yeah, I took at as he felt uncomfortable that IT was even there in the arena getting shots up when him crying on the sidelines seemed like an obvious sign that  he shouldn't be.

- LilRip

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 11:11:46 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Frankly I don't give a hoot about Barkley's "comfort".  He is a brash loudmouth.  I wonder what Isaiah thinks about Barkley's feelings.

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 11:40:41 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'm uncomfortable because I see it as a private moment for IT and it seemed exploited by the media to get some ratings or push emotional buttons.  no need for it.  That's just how I feel about those situations in general, not specific to IT

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 12:13:17 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
I think he meant it from an empathetic standpoint... but i can see how  it could be misconstrued, especially with it coming from Barkley

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 12:23:20 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
IT deserves some privacy. Screw the media for showing that.

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 12:59:11 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Reading the comments, I thought Barkley should mind his own [dang] business. Watching the clip, though, it seems like he was trying to make the opposite point but did so clumsily. Whatever. I like Charles but these waters are probably too deep for him to be wading into.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 01:12:50 PM »

Offline Shoot the J

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 33
Another example of trying to create outrage with a headline.
Barkley is concerned for Isaiah's state of mind in the wake of such a terrible, personal tragedy. Or to the media, ratings.
The problem that people have with Barkley is that he is honest and doesn't vomit the same safe, cliche, "my heart goes out to..." phrases that are so commonly heard following an incident like this. It is uncomfortable to watch. Most of us can only imagine the pain that Isaiah is feeling at that moment. It boils my blood that they just had to get a camera on that sad, personal moment. I felt awful for Isaiah upon hearing the news, and I didn't need an exclusive shot to have a true understanding of the emotions he is dealing with.
Can you imagine if he had been available post-game, and the types of questions he would have been asked?