Author Topic: Nobody has been able to fill the Evan Turner void and it showed last night.  (Read 1404 times)

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Before this season I was excited to find out who would be able to step up and fill the offensive void that Evan Turner left after he got his payday in Portland.  I was expecting it to be a joint effort from Marcus and  Terry Rozier.  Marcus has been able to handle more responsibility running the offense but we haven't had any other consistent option off the bench.

I also believe that Turner's consistent defensive effort was such a pleasant surprise for the few seasons that we had him.  Brad always praised his defense and made it a point to mention that he was always in the right place.  For all of his deficiencies he ended up becoming a stabilizing presence due to the fact that he could play well with any lineup and create his own shot. 

We all know rebounding is still our biggest problem.  I just find it frustrating that we look as flawed as the injured playoff squad from last year that had no Avery Bradley and a banged up Crowder.  Not to mention that KO was still hurt too.  Ultimately we are a team that has very little margin for error in almost every match up.  Let's cross our fingers and hope that we can be on the winning side of most of these close games.         

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
Welcome Green-18, TP for first post and a good one.

I thought MS and TR were going to provide more scoring too.

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
I whole heartily agree, but with that being said you can't frown on losing Turner considering the absurd contract he got.
We'd be in worse shape if we matched it. If we let him walk for Crowder type money then it would be much harder to stomach. Ainge made the right move..

Some people have been joking about Sully, for 6 mil a season I think we should have given him one more shot. He's fat and lazy but at least he can grab a rebound once in a while.

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
This is what no one is realizing and it's spot on. We don't have another playmaker, a dribble, drive and dish guy. This is why I like Tatum much more than Fultz. Tatum is a point forward who can create offense for everyone. Brown isn't that type of player.

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
I whole heartily agree, but with that being said you can't frown on losing Turner considering the absurd contract he got.
We'd be in worse shape if we matched it. If we let him walk for Crowder type money then it would be much harder to stomach. Ainge made the right move..

Some people have been joking about Sully, for 6 mil a season I think we should have given him one more shot. He's fat and lazy but at least he can grab a rebound once in a while.

I agree 100% with you about Turners contract.  I think most of us were sad to see him go but we all expected the bench to chip in as a group to fill his void.  Between Marcus, Terry, and Jaylen I thought we would be fine.  It turns out that Turner's greatest value was his ability to give our team whatever it needed each night.  Aside from perimeter shooting he could be an asset in every other aspect of the game, including rebounding!!!

As for Sully, I would have been in favor of bringing in anyone who can bang around the hoop for 10 mins and make the opposing team work for rebounds.  We just need to be an average defensive rebounding team in order to make a decent run in the playoffs.  The first half was atrocious last night.

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
No one told the team to block out.
Step up, Brad.

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
No one told the team to block out.
Step up, Brad.

^^^^THIS^^^^

Offline kgfor3

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
ET had a sick mid range game.

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
I've been on the we're gonna miss ET bandwagon all season.  But that's not why they lost.  They lost because Chicago played a great game - and because Danny didn't address the rebounding problem.  KO, Zeller vs these guys?  Forget it

Plus Amir stunk. 

But as far as losing ET, take away Thomas and the Celtics are a very easy team to guard because no one else can get to the basket or create their own shot. 

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Whoa whoa whoa whoa.....

Evan Turner helped us last year in the regular season.  He bombed for us in the playoffs (3-14 on 3pt, shot under 40% from the field for the series).  You might remember all the wide open looks Turner got last playoffs, and how many he missed, and I mean wide wide open. 

Seeing as we have a better regular season record, and Turner sucked in last years playoffs, Im going to just say that this post is a little off base.

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
I've been on the we're gonna miss ET bandwagon all season.  But that's not why they lost.  They lost because Chicago played a great game - and because Danny didn't address the rebounding problem.  KO, Zeller vs these guys?  Forget it

Plus Amir stunk. 

But as far as losing ET, take away Thomas and the Celtics are a very easy team to guard because no one else can get to the basket or create their own shot.

I agree with you about the rebounding 100%.  However, I think that you could argue that Turner would have helped our rebounding for two reasons.  He never missed a defensive rotation and he is a solid rebounder for a SF.  This years squad doesn't have the same defensive consistency, especially on the perimeter.  We are often able to close out and stop the initial shot but then everyone is out of position for the rebound.   

Offline BE-Celtic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 48

Plus Amir stunk. 

I agree with you about the rebounding 100%.  However, I think that you could argue that Turner would have helped our rebounding for two reasons.  He never missed a defensive rotation and he is a solid rebounder for a SF.  This years squad doesn't have the same defensive consistency, especially on the perimeter.  We are often able to close out and stop the initial shot but then everyone is out of position for the rebound.   

I agree on a lot of things here, but I don't think Turner would have solved the rebounding yesterday. It was a matter of big guys : Robin Lopez did grab these rebounds. ET wouln't have helped in preventin that

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
Whoa whoa whoa whoa.....

Evan Turner helped us last year in the regular season.  He bombed for us in the playoffs (3-14 on 3pt, shot under 40% from the field for the series).  You might remember all the wide open looks Turner got last playoffs, and how many he missed, and I mean wide wide open. 

Seeing as we have a better regular season record, and Turner sucked in last years playoffs, Im going to just say that this post is a little off base.

This is exactly why he wasn't worth the $17 million.  I am not saying Turner was a great player and I made sure to note that he had his shortcoming in my initial post.  It's important to provide context to last years playoff argument.  No Kelly, Avery, and a beat up Crowder put Turner in a position where he needed to provide more than he was capable of.  His efficiency would have been better if he was able to play his normal role.  36 MPG in the playoffs for Turner was not a winning formula but we had no other options.  My only point is that Turner was able to fill a lot of gaps off the bench, especially when our team was healthy.