Author Topic: I Didn't Realize the NBA Playoffs Were 1-and-Done Now  (Read 2858 times)

I Didn't Realize the NBA Playoffs Were 1-and-Done Now
« on: April 17, 2017, 07:25:01 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
So the Celtics are eliminated from the playoffs because they lost game 1, right? I hadn't heard about this rule change, I'm just basing this on the reaction around the board.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Re: I Didn't Realize the NBA Playoffs Were 1-and-Done Now
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 09:00:53 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yeah, if it were the NCAA tournament I'd be upset. Right now, I'm fine. We can win 4 before they win 3.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 09:07:20 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Yeah, I heard.  It is certainly how I am feeling today.

Seriously, I was so upset last night that I didn't even watch the last 2:30, down 5 points.  My heart doesn't need this kind of agony.

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 09:41:03 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
So the Celtics are eliminated from the playoffs because they lost game 1, right? I hadn't heard about this rule change, I'm just basing this on the reaction around the board.

I still feel like we will win the series in  7 games.  However, it's hard to not be frustrated because last night felt like a movie that we have seen many times before.  I am expecting most of these games to be very close and it could end up being a couple of plays that swing the series in either teams favor.  I am an optimist by nature and have yet to be overly critical of our team throughout the past 3 years.  My personal take is that I won't criticize the results until we take a step backwards and/or fail to progress, especially given how much flexibility we have going forward.  It's hard to be upset with how quickly this team has become relevant again.  With that said, the floodgates are going to open for criticism if we fail to get out of the first round.

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 09:50:00 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Yeah, if it were the NCAA tournament I'd be upset. Right now, I'm fine. We can win 4 before they win 3.

On a side note, I always thought it would be pretty cool to have an NCAA style tournament in the NBA.  Totally impractical and never would happen, but wouldn't it be pretty cool if they did it and there were actual meaningful stakes.

...and back to work I go
Yup

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 09:53:52 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
The truth is we now have a 20% chance to win this series based on 30 years of history, probably a little higher if you consider the 1 / 8th seeds, which mean nothing anymore.

That kinda sucks, but certainly possible for this group.

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 10:21:30 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The Bulls beat us in Game 1 in 09, and we were only a 2 seed then, so we'll definitely take this series :)

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 10:25:35 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
They hit some nonsense shots, I mean they're good but this is far from a done deal

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 10:28:27 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
I did not even want to post on the board last night due to all the pessimism and comments.

Things like Danny getting blamed for passing on Portis after he has one good game! Pathetic. If IT losing his young sister in a tragic accident does not tame this board, nothing ever will.

I did not expect the Celtics to run over anyone in these playoffs. We have yet to win a series with these new players and they need to figure out how to win in playoff games.

We lose one game and once again, like every other loss, the sky is falling...Danny cant draft....hope we lose the rest of the games to them...It also appears that certain people get a lot of happiness over complaining and moaning and throwing oil on a fire when the heat is still going.

Personally, I hope IT goes to be with his family right now. In the end, family is all that matters..there will be other games and series.

I still feel we can compete and it could go to 6 or 7 games.

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 11:09:58 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
This is not about Danny being a mediocre drafter.  He is middle of the road in my book.

This is about trades he could have made at the deadline that would have lessened the chance of what happened last night.

He EASILY (i.e. low cost) could have had any of Cousins, Ibaka or Noel all moved at the deadline, and recall that Nurkic and Plumlee also got traded.  He chose to stay on the sidelines.  That tells me he has thrown in the towel for this season (though he would never admit it).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 11:17:17 AM by Surferdad »

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 11:19:50 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
The Bulls beat us in Game 1 in 09, and we were only a 2 seed then, so we'll definitely take this series :)

Bulls were a better team that year than the Bulls this year.

Celtics were a better team than the Celtics this year even without Garnett.

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 11:38:44 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
This is not about Danny being a mediocre drafter.  He is middle of the road in my book.

This is about trades he could have made at the deadline that would have lessened the chance of what happened last night.

He EASILY (i.e. low cost) could have had any of Cousins, Ibaka or Noel all moved at the deadline, and recall that Nurkic and Plumlee also got traded.  He chose to stay on the sidelines.  That tells me he has thrown in the towel for this season (though he would never admit it).
First of all, Noel and Ibaka aren't good rebounders or scorers - the two things that sunk us last night - so let's get that nonsense out of the way.

Secondly, you're forgetting that all those guys went well before the trade deadline.

By all accounts Ainge was focused on Butler and George.

Sacto reportedly wanted a pick in this draft for Cousins. They might have demanded the Brooklyn pick. They also reportedly loved Buddy Hield, so to them the package they received from NO was more valuable than you are perceiving it to be.

Trading contracts and valuable pieces for Cousins might have seriously impeded our efforts to land Butler or George.

There are also the character concerns - lots of teams could have matched or beaten NO's offer. So why didn't they?

And are we going to give this guy a max deal?

Do you really want to go "all in" on a C's team you seem to think is garbage + DeMarcus Cousins?

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 12:08:17 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell

First of all, Noel and Ibaka aren't good rebounders or scorers - the two things that sunk us last night - so let's get that nonsense out of the way.

Secondly, you're forgetting that all those guys went well before the trade deadline.

By all accounts Ainge was focused on Butler and George.

Sacto reportedly wanted a pick in this draft for Cousins. They might have demanded the Brooklyn pick. They also reportedly loved Buddy Hield, so to them the package they received from NO was more valuable than you are perceiving it to be.

Trading contracts and valuable pieces for Cousins might have seriously impeded our efforts to land Butler or George.

There are also the character concerns - lots of teams could have matched or beaten NO's offer. So why didn't they?

And are we going to give this guy a max deal?

Do you really want to go "all in" on a C's team you seem to think is garbage + DeMarcus Cousins?
First of all, don't put words in my mouth, I never said the team was garbage.  WHAT I SAID, was that Ainge could have improved the frontcourt and thus avoided the type of travesty we saw last night.

Secondly, Cousins or Noel most certainly would have helped in the rebounding department, at least compared to Olynyk, Jerebko or Zeller. 

Third, I jumped off the Boogie bandwagon a week before the deal precisely because of character issues, and no I probably would not have extended him even if the deal was made.

Fourth, the Butler and George deals were never very likely given the demands.  Ainge knew this and decided to take a long shot because players like that don't come around very often.  However, what he gave up was the BETTER chance for incremental improvement which would have helped the team this season, and would have helped the young players experience a deep playoff run.

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 01:08:58 AM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
I called Bulls in five, I still stand by it.  This Celtics team is a giant fraud in my book.
Possibly --no definitely, the worst number 1 seed of all-time.

A team with a starting point guard that is five foot seven on a good day. SMH
Jimmy Butler is the best player on the court in this series, and that's what the playoffs are about.
People are in denial around here.
You realize the Bulls took two of four during the regular season, right??  What are you gonna say when the C's drop game two at home??  They're gonna be toast without Thomas and you know it....

Michael Felger will have a field day for the next six months.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 07:20:18 PM by SuddenFame »

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 02:06:19 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

On a side note, I always thought it would be pretty cool to have an NCAA style tournament in the NBA.  Totally impractical and never would happen, but wouldn't it be pretty cool if they did it and there were actual meaningful stakes.

...and back to work I go

Like a FA Cup style thing with European Clubs, D-League (maybe other smaller leagues, Brazil, Australia)

WOULD BE AWESOME!
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.