Author Topic: Reminder: We are rebuilding not contending  (Read 5579 times)

Re: Reminder: We are rebuilding not contending
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2017, 09:23:39 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
this whole thread is a joke. Celtics fans want this team to get the respect that comes with getting the 1 seed but none of the pressure and expectations that comes with it.

A *&%/ men !

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2017, 09:32:41 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
this whole thread is a joke. Celtics fans want this team to get the respect that comes with getting the 1 seed but none of the pressure and expectations that comes with it.

A *&%/ men !
context always matters.

Celtics fans want the respect for the 1 seed that Boston deserves for earning the 1 seed, but we must also understand the context.

The Celtics are a bad 1 seed. They do not deserve the same level of respect of past 1 seeds.
The Celtics also have a ton of room to grow. They can afford to lay an egg in these playoffs and not be doomed as a team. They have close to max cap space a 20 year old top 3 pick and an incoming top 4 pick. They can blow this chance and be OK.

They deserve less respect than past one seeds, and with it slightly lower expectations, but most importantly because of the bright future of the team, they do not deserve to face the same level of scrutiny that you would usually see if a 1 seed sucks in the playoffs.

also, it is management which I believe should be shielded from this criticism. players should be evaluated based on their individual expectations. If Crowder sucks for the series he should not be shielded from criticism because we have Jaylen Brown in the wings.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2017, 09:57:43 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

A *&%/ men !
context always matters.

Celtics fans want the respect for the 1 seed that Boston deserves for earning the 1 seed, but we must also understand the context.

The Celtics are a bad 1 seed. They do not deserve the same level of respect of past 1 seeds.
The Celtics also have a ton of room to grow. They can afford to lay an egg in these playoffs and not be doomed as a team. They have close to max cap space a 20 year old top 3 pick and an incoming top 4 pick. They can blow this chance and be OK.

They deserve less respect than past one seeds, and with it slightly lower expectations, but most importantly because of the bright future of the team, they do not deserve to face the same level of scrutiny that you would usually see if a 1 seed sucks in the playoffs.

also, it is management which I believe should be shielded from this criticism. players should be evaluated based on their individual expectations. If Crowder sucks for the series he should not be shielded from criticism because we have Jaylen Brown in the wings.

I don't know. If they lay an egg this postseason—which I'd define as losing the Bulls series—I think something at least semi-drastic may have to be done. This would be the third consecutive year of getting bounced in the first round, and this year doing it as the 1 seed; that's a pretty bad look. Though I do think you make a fair point about expectations being lower for these guys because they're not the "typical" 1 seed.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2017, 10:56:22 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Ainge sent a clear message at the trade deadline: wait until next year.

His assets will be on the line next year. Stevens, too.

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2017, 12:48:29 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
If Danny had added Cousins and Noel ....two bigs .....traded away the junk bigs .....we would be in the conversation EASY .

Cavs are 120 million .....we may need to,spend that to compete .....

So either the owners want to beat the Cavs or they don't want to spend to do it.

Talented Bigs ...costs expensive contracts.

I disagree, we would still lack the scoring to win a championship.

IT and Cousins didn't exactly set the world on fire together in Sacto.

And the cost to acquire Cousins might be higher than people think, they reportedly loved Buddy Hield and also wanted a pick in this draft.

Getting Cousins might have hampered our ability to pursue a trade for a second scorer.
Had we gotten Cousins we would legitimately be setting the NBA world on fire. Let's say we "overpayed" with the Net's pick and Amir and or Zeller to match salary. Cousins INSTANTLY solves our most pressing problems, both in the regular season and in the playoffs: a Superstar scorer to go along with IT as the only real players that can create their own offense, a LEGITIMATE BIG CENTER:7'6'' wingspan and 9'5'' standing reach, a player that can rip apart other playoff teams i.e. Cavs/Warriors/etc. bc they lack a true LEGIT CENTER with legit size and length and shooting versatility.

We would go from being the 27th worst rebounding team ( the teams worse than us are jokes that are tanking)in the league to probably somewhere in the top 10. A Horford-Cousins front-court is dam scary and dam versatile on offense. IMO Horford would be freed up from battling in the paint against centers. Also, both Horford and Cousins averaged 5 assists per game this season.

I'm not saying we should have done the trade(but I do believe it is negligent for DA to not have gotten us a Center) but please do not say that adding Cousins to our team is not kryptonite for playoff teams like the Cavs and Warriors....

If we got Cousins at the deadline I think we win the championship this season or next...or both. Obv with his history and contract make variables and was probably why we did not give the pick for 1 1/2 years of Cousins.

« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2017, 07:20:33 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

I agree, he made no effort to improve the roster or fix problems with the team.   

« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2017, 08:38:32 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320

A *&%/ men !
context always matters.

I don't know. If they lay an egg this postseason—which I'd define as losing the Bulls series—I think something at least semi-drastic may have to be done. This would be the third consecutive year of getting bounced in the first round, and this year doing it as the 1 seed; that's a pretty bad look. Though I do think you make a fair point about expectations being lower for these guys because they're not the "typical" 1 seed.

1) Overreaction, 2) what does semi-drastic mean? I have no idea what you're saying.

There's going to be natural roster turnover, and the Celtics are likely to make another FA signing, in addition to adding Zizic, Yabu, and a top 4 draft pick. That would mean 4 new players are likely to be on this team next year. Guys like Amir, KO, Green, and Young are probably gone.

What else are you suggesting?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 08:55:21 AM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2017, 10:44:33 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

A *&%/ men !
context always matters.

1) Overreaction, 2) what does semi-drastic mean? I have no idea what you're saying.

There's going to be natural roster turnover, and the Celtics are likely to make another FA signing, in addition to adding Zizic, Yabu, and a top 4 draft pick. That would mean 4 new players are likely to be on this team next year. Guys like Amir, KO, Green, and Young are probably gone.

If Boston loses in the 1st round and can't lure a free agent, I would expect Ainge to start selling off players and go into a real an actual rebuilding plan.  There is no real point to spend all of the cap space on players that can't even get out of the first round, and there is no point in keeping those players as lame ducks this season.  Get something for them now, let the young guys get as many minutes as they can, and just go full on rebuilding and try to maximize draft position in 2018.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2017, 11:01:20 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

A *&%/ men !
context always matters.

If Boston loses in the 1st round and can't lure a free agent, I would expect Ainge to start selling off players and go into a real an actual rebuilding plan.  There is no real point to spend all of the cap space on players that can't even get out of the first round, and there is no point in keeping those players as lame ducks this season.  Get something for them now, let the young guys get as many minutes as they can, and just go full on rebuilding and try to maximize draft position in 2018.

I told you Ainge wasn't going to make any deals. You kept saying they signed Horford so they have to contend. It's not how it works for Ainge or the Celtics front office. Fans can keep crying, but Ainge is going to sit and wait it out. This is why I love him. He doesn't get emotional about this stuff. I'm just going to be laughing in the end when we're contenders again after LBJ gets old. He's going to draft players, and also sign players. There will be trades, but they are not going to rebuild, lol. Maybe they'll package Bradley and Crowder for an upgrade.

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2017, 11:06:16 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

His assets will be on the line next year. Stevens, too.

Is it "wait till next year" or "no overpaying"?

This is a team on an upswing and should be better next year.

But it is also a team that earned the top seed.   It needs to play that way.  The team will play that way.

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2017, 11:08:18 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

A *&%/ men !
context always matters.

To begin, you shouldn't call my statement an overreaction if you don't even know what I mean by "semi-drastic." You're making a claim about something that you admit to not fully understanding.

By "semi-drastic," I mean something less than selling off the farm, but still a significant shakeup. As you mentioned, there will be natural roster turnover; what I'm proposing is something that falls somewhere between natural turnover and, say, trading IT, Brown, Bradley, AND this year's BKN pick—for example, maybe trading one or two of those four.

Because if this team loses in the first round for the third consecutive year, it becomes clear that something needs to change. If, on the other hand, Boston turns this series around and ends up winning it, it will be difficult to argue that Danny should alter his course in any major way.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis