Author Topic: Reminder: We are rebuilding not contending  (Read 5542 times)

Reminder: We are rebuilding not contending
« on: April 17, 2017, 12:43:36 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
After the loss I expected the boards to be in full meltdown and as expected we are...

So just to simply put things back into perspective... we are a rebuilding team. We contend because we are gritty and talented, we can beat anyone and lose to anyone on a given night. So if you incorrectly believed we were legitimate contenders, you need to listen to every one of the interviews with Wyc and Danny that mentioned we were two pieces away. Or you could simply listen to CBS when he mentioned that our team is not as good as our record. The organization knows exactly where they are.

As a rebuilding team naturally there are aspects that need to be addressed... we need another scorer, rebounding and rim protection. I pause here to point out the rise of Zizic and Yabu that could potentially address our rebounding issue. I also pause here to point out our top lottery odds with Fultz or an impending Griffin free agency especially if they get bounced by the Jazz both moves could potentially solve scoring issues. Other free agents such as Ibaka, Hayward, Dedmon could prove useful.

There is much more I could write but to be honest it probably won't make a difference. So resume the regularly scheduled banter about "Ainge sucking"  and "we should have signed player X"  arguments... but just remember all such arguments are ridiculous for a rebuilding team... we simply need to enjoy the ride and growth of our players.

Re: Reminder: We are rebuilding not contending
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 01:30:43 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I understand that this is—technically—still a rebuilding team, and that Boston finds itself in a very good situation—being already a good team while still having some top-notch assets like this year's BKN pick.

But can a No. 1 seed really be considered, for all practical purposes, a rebuilding team? I agree that they're not true contenders—they're nowhere close to beating the Cavs or Warriors in a 7-game series—but at the same time, I'm not sure they can be considered a true rebuilding team at this point.

But however one chooses to describe them, they shouldn't lose game 1 at home to an 8 seed.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 01:41:40 AM »

Offline the TRUTH

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 77
I understand that this is—technically—still a rebuilding team, and that Boston finds itself in a very good situation—being already a good team while still having some top-notch assets like this year's BKN pick.

But can a No. 1 seed really be considered, for all practical purposes, a rebuilding team? I agree that they're not true contenders—they're nowhere close to beating the Cavs or Warriors in a 7-game series—but at the same time, I'm not sure they can be considered a true rebuilding team at this point.

But however one chooses to describe them, they shouldn't lose game 1 at home to an 8 seed.

Great post - completely agree with this. Even with our flaws that most of us acknowledge, this was still a horrible loss.

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 02:10:54 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
No excuses. This team played like a poo against an inferior team.

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 02:25:35 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown

If the GM, owner and coach considers us a rebuilding team then we are a rebuilding team...

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 02:32:53 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
No excuses. This team played like a poo against an inferior team.

Rebounding differential will be the  most telling stat for our playoff run. Chicago is a bad match up because they are a top 5 rebounding team, while we are.... yeah we know what we are.

If we keep the differential under 10 we win...

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 02:37:18 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Regardless of the future assets that the team has, they're a one seed playing an eight seed.

They're a top ten offense playing a bottom five offense.

They're supposed to be a well coached team with great chemistry playing a team with lousy chemistry and an embattled coach.

They were supposed to be the team with something to play for, the team that had motivation to win a game for their bereaved leader.

None of that showed tonight. None of it.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 02:57:18 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Regardless of the future assets that the team has, they're a one seed playing an eight seed.

They're supposed to be a well coached team with great chemistry playing a team with lousy chemistry and an embattled coach.

They were supposed to be the team with something to play for, the team that had motivation to win a game for their bereaved leader.

The 1-seed looked like a 5-seed tonight. The 8-seed looked like a 4-seed. The Celtics have got to capitalize all 48 minutes man. Nobody is injured, IT4 is playing, there was no excuse in losing this game. Can't blame the refs either for the p----poor effort tonight.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 02:58:55 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
The man operating this team could've packaged Terry Rozier for Serge Ibaka but nooo he wants to keep Rozier. And how many minutes did Terry Rozier played tonight? Yup!

Don't get me started with Cousins either. I just don't know anymore. Either of those guys would've been HUGE tonight, in this series, and possibly in the long-run of this playoffs.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 03:19:39 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
-Free agency being the 1 seed will help the team recruit
-the draft: #1 chance of #1 will help the team greatly
-we are in the playoffs and many many other teams aren't.
-we will bring size in zizic and yabu and see what they got

While other teams are in limbo on their situations, we are 100% assured we will be better and have new elite players on our team next year.

Literally every other team wishes they were in that position going into the off season. Let that sink in
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 03:28:18 AM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 05:13:41 AM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
No need to overeaction
yes this team is embarrasing(except IT, proud of him) tonight and alot need to be improved
but don't forget we aren't contending this year, we are using this playoff to see who we keep going forward and for that matter Ainge has done a perfect job to be patient
as for the lineup i think we should start Brown and let AB be the sixthman with Smart

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 06:02:10 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
-Free agency being the 1 seed will help the team recruit

Not if we get bounced early, it won't

-the draft: #1 chance of #1 will help the team greatly

Assuming we land it, yes.

-we are in the playoffs and many many other teams aren't.

Sorry but making the playoff was a must for this team.  I never considered us not making it.

-we will bring size in zizic and yabu and see what they got

Yabu has more mass than size.  Zizic has some size.   I am still not convinced Ainge can draft bigs after seeing KO and some of his past choices.

I think the bright spot of the game is that we played pretty poorly and still were in the game.  Chicago had some guys have career nights like Portis.

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 07:52:11 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown

We average 108 points per game and they average 103. Each rebound is a possession and we were out rebounded by 17. With the Bulls shooting 40% that works out to roughly a 14-point swing. Unless we are able to gain extra possessions with turnovers to balance off that differential we lose that game 9 times out of 10.

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 08:28:29 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
We are a building team, not a rebuilding one.

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 08:36:11 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Yes, and the next step this team should make now on the road to contending is wining a playoff series.