Author Topic: I did not watch the game - Smart and Olynyk  (Read 4780 times)

I did not watch the game - Smart and Olynyk
« on: April 17, 2017, 12:35:46 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 72
I already know how trash Olynyk is. I followed the game with the game thread to get a feel of the game and saw the play by play with it.

You would think Olynyk was 0-10 and completely destroyed the Celtics chances.

Meanwhile you would think Smart was scoring at will and dunking on people.

Final Stat Lines?

Olynyk 3-8 , 7 points, 1-4 three pointers, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, 3 blocks, 0 turnovers , -9 on the court

Smaht, 3-9 , 9 points, 3-7 three pointers , 2 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 steal, 0 blocks, 2 turnovers,

Did Olynyk miss  couple easy layups? or not grab a rebound that was right there? Is that why he was getting blitzed?

On the other hand Smart hit's a couple of huge three pointers to get us back in the game...I guess Smart played as good as anybody can?

What is funny is I dont blame anybody on offense for this loss. It is again our trash defense and horrific rebounding that kills us again and will continue to do so

Re: I did not watch the game - Smart and Olynyk
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 12:40:22 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
You clearly not watched the game and quick to post when you saw Smart's stats. Not his best game but not his worse either. Have you seen Crowder and the rest of the team not named Bradley, Thomas and Horford lay an egg in crunch time?

It's fair to criticize Smart. But coming from a known Smart hater, it's clear that you have agenda against this guy.

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 12:45:32 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
You clearly not watched the game and quick to post when you saw Smart's stats. Not his best game but not his worse either. Have you seen Crowder and the rest of the team not named Bradley, Thomas and Horford lay an egg in crunch time?

It's fair to criticize Smart. But coming from a known Smart hater, it's clear that you have agenda against this guy.

I don't hate Smart, never have, just like I don't hate Kobe. The only people I would despise are the homers and fans of that said player who look the other way at bad play.

You wanna tell me I am a hater, but then you look in the game thread and you got people wanting to kick out a player from the team midway through the game lol.

I like all the players. Some more than others. Smart sucks at shooting and im tired of him shooting 3's like he is Ray Allen. With that said I know what he does well.

If I hated Smart I would not want him playing.

But of course you cannot explain the statistics? because If you could you would.

I will watch the game anyway and make a better assessment even though I am disgusted to watch it.

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 12:56:45 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Kelly was a sieve on defense.  When the game slows down in the playoffs, there's a lot more iso basketball.  That doesn't bode well for a guy whose best attribute on that end is his positioning. 

They picked on him, and it worked.  Once he started getting beat, like always, he got rattled.  At his stage, Bobby Portis should not be having a career game against anyone in the playoffs.  We rely far too heavily on Kelly's bench scoring relative to his consistency.

And of course, our frontcourt is a joke.  An improvement could've been had, but wasn't.  I would've pulled the trigger on Nurkic, but Ainge surely has the foresight to have a more viable and talented PF/C targeted for this offseason, right?  Sure hope so.   

The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 01:00:33 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
The stat lines won't tell you much in this game other than that we got crushed on the boards. 

Smart had some solid defense, drew a timely charge, made some key three pointers, and was the only person in Green who was bothering to box out.

Kelly Olynyk on the other hand was atrocious.  He would be hard pressed to play worse defense or rebound than he did.. it really was that bad.  And the shots he did miss were fairly easy for most players.  He literally looked like a spectator out there... a shot would go up and he'd just stand there watching the ball (instead of  boxing anyone out).  After the ball hit the rim he'd literally stand there watching go to the other team.  I don't know what's gotten into him this year... I thought last season he was progressing into a flawed but serviceable player.

The other bigs (not named horford) were almost as bad.  While it's depressing to watch a lack of basic rebounding fundamentals, it is promising that the Celtics are a good team while having such a glaring positional weakness. 

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 01:10:39 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919
The stat lines won't tell you much in this game other than that we got crushed on the boards. 

Smart had some solid defense, drew a timely charge, made some key three pointers, and was the only person in Green who was bothering to box out.

Kelly Olynyk on the other hand was atrocious.  He would be hard pressed to play worse defense or rebound than he did.. it really was that bad.  And the shots he did miss were fairly easy for most players.  He literally looked like a spectator out there... a shot would go up and he'd just stand there watching the ball (instead of  boxing anyone out).  After the ball hit the rim he'd literally stand there watching go to the other team.  I don't know what's gotten into him this year... I thought last season he was progressing into a flawed but serviceable player.

The other bigs (not named horford) were almost as bad.  While it's depressing to watch a lack of basic rebounding fundamentals, it is promising that the Celtics are a good team while having such a glaring positional weakness.

TP. This is pretty much right. KO might've had his worst game ever tonight even with "not terrible" stats. He was abused all night long.

What I don't get on here, though, is people letting Al off the hook. Yes, he played better in the second half, but in that first half Al was nearly as bad as KO. Lopez totally owned him on the boards and defensively, and even in the second half Portis seemed to score at will on him because Al couldn't close out.

Our bigs rotations is just abysmal. JJ should be seeing KO's minutes. At least JJ isn't nearly as soft as KO.

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 01:28:03 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
So...what adjustments should we make? Start Jerebko so that Amir can come off the bench when Horford is taking a breather to shore up our rebounding and prevent Portis from killing us inside?
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 02:40:16 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
So...what adjustments should we make? Start Jerebko so that Amir can come off the bench when Horford is taking a breather to shore up our rebounding and prevent Portis from killing us inside?

Shorter bench. Spread them out more. Guard Portis. Dare Rondo and Wade to shoot.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 02:56:25 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

TP. This is pretty much right. KO might've had his worst game ever tonight even with "not terrible" stats. He was abused all night long.

What I don't get on here, though, is people letting Al off the hook. Yes, he played better in the second half, but in that first half Al was nearly as bad as KO. Lopez totally owned him on the boards and defensively, and even in the second half Portis seemed to score at will on him because Al couldn't close out.

Our bigs rotations is just abysmal. JJ should be seeing KO's minutes. At least JJ isn't nearly as soft as KO.
It's because everybody else was 5x worse without Al this game is over by halftime
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 03:34:39 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton
AL does not get much slack for his contribution to terrible defense. He is slow and goofy on defense.

He has a nice game tonight statistically it seems. This is without watching it.

Rebounds ultimately killed us

You cant' give up 20 offensive and expect to win, too too difficult

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 03:35:03 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

This is not very accurate.  Portis taking a jumper should generally be a win for the defense.  He short 42% on the year for long 2s, and 33% from 3.  Today he went 3-3 and 3-4 from those respective lengths.  Good for him.  He's not a good shooter, and the Celtics normally had a smaller defender on him after a switch on a pick and pop.  Generally, that is the proper defense, and I'd hope they play him the same way on Tuesday.  I doubt he does that again.  If you want Al to be able to get a defensive rebound, you have to accept that switch.

If Olynyk shot like Bobby Portis tonight on his equally, if not more, open shots, the Celtics win. 

Or if Olynyk didn't get caught half-way on defense two-thirds of the time, the Celtics win.  I haven't seen him play that poor a defensive game in a while -- it reminded me of when he made Kris Humphries look like an All-Star a couple of years ago vs. Washington.

Also, I love Jaylen Brown, but his rotations on defense were unfortunate tonight.  He looked like November Jaylen Brown a couple of times.

If we were doing the inverse of hockey, and giving game stars for bad performances, in my opinion it'd go:

1) Olynyk
2) Brown
3) Amir, with an honorable mention to the refs for a couple of cheap fouls early on against Amir and Crowder that killed the subbing patterns in the first half.

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 03:37:58 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton

This is not very accurate.  Portis taking a jumper should generally be a win for the defense.  He short 42% on the year for long 2s, and 33% from 3.  Today he went 3-3 and 3-4 from those respective lengths.  Good for him.  He's not a good shooter, and the Celtics normally had a smaller defender on him after a switch on a pick and pop.  Generally, that is the proper defense, and I'd hope they play him the same way on Tuesday.  I doubt he does that again.  If you want Al to be able to get a defensive rebound, you have to accept that switch.

If Olynyk shot like Bobby Portis tonight on his equally, if not more, open shots, the Celtics win. 

Also, I love Jaylen Brown, but his rotations on defense were unfortunate tonight.  He looked like November Jaylen Brown a couple of times.

If we were doing the inverse of hockey, and giving game stars for bad performances, in my opinion it'd go:

1) Olynyk
2) Brown
3) Amir, with an honorable mention to the refs for a couple of cheap fouls early on against Amir and Crowder that killed the subbing patterns in the first half.

I am only doing this before I watch the game...and asking questions

Olynyk was 3-8 , he did have a steal, he did have 3 blocks......and 0 turnovers

Tons of players laid bricks out there..

surely this was not the reason "Celtics lost"

maybe he was just so awful on defense

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 03:47:54 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

1) Olynyk
2) Brown

I am only doing this before I watch the game...and asking questions

Olynyk was 3-8 , he did have a steal, he did have 3 blocks......and 0 turnovers

Tons of players laid bricks out there..

surely this was not the reason "Celtics lost"

maybe he was just so awful on defense

Yeah, you caught me mid edit, since I forgot to mention his crap defense.  But the shots he missed were wide open 3's or at the rim.  My point was that Olynyk is a better shooter than Bobby Portis, had better looks than him, but Portis made his.  Part of that is just the luck of the game, but if you don't like luck, then Olynyk needs to shoot better.  Both are probably true in their own way.

Two of the blocks I remember being relatively useless blocks -- they were off wild Bulls shots which wouldn't have gone in, and Olynyk blocked them out of bounds. I'm not saying the Olynyk did anything wrong for making a decent contest, but they didn't end up providing value.

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 03:51:33 AM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
I already know how trash Olynyk is. I followed the game with the game thread to get a feel of the game and saw the play by play with it.

Final Stat Lines?

Olynyk 3-8 , 7 points, 1-4 three pointers, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals, 3 blocks, 0 turnovers , -9 on the court

Smaht, 3-9 , 9 points, 3-7 three pointers , 2 rebounds, 6 assists, 1 steal, 0 blocks, 2 turnovers,

Did Olynyk miss  couple easy layups? or not grab a rebound that was right there? Is that why he was getting blitzed?

On the other hand Smart hit's a couple of huge three pointers to get us back in the game...I guess Smart played as good as anybody can?

What is funny is I dont blame anybody on offense for this loss. It is again our trash defense and horrific rebounding that kills us again and will continue to do so
Classic C's blog tonight.  Overreaction and extremely poor analysis.  If you watch the game with any basketball knowledge and free of bias you will not find in any way that he played poorly!  I just re-watched every play he was on the floor and am very hard pressed to find all this horrible play that he supposedly had on display tonight. 

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 03:58:58 AM »

Offline celtics2030

• Bill Walton

Final Stat Lines?

Classic C's blog tonight.  Overreaction and extremely poor analysis.  If you watch the game with any basketball knowledge and free of bias you will not find in any way that he played poorly!  I just re-watched every play he was on the floor and am very hard pressed to find all this horrible play that he supposedly had on display tonight.

Smart or Olynk? lol

See this is the reason why I brought this up . This is today's fan analysis we live in today. Pick out scapegoats, this that.

NOW this doesn't mean it involves this game, but I have seen it so much it makes me angry because its not proper and it really gets to me when people just talk out of the "ass".

lol im 12 minutes away from watching