Author Topic: We've Had This Problem For Four Dang Years...  (Read 1491 times)

We've Had This Problem For Four Dang Years...
« on: April 16, 2017, 09:57:22 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2951
  • On To Banner 18!
Rebounding. Rebounding. Rebounding. And a side of Rim Protection.

Ever since KG and Perkins left... the C's have done nothing to solve it. NADA.

Even when they added Horford, it offset it a bit since our leading rebounder last season, Sullinger, left in FA.

And this whole "system" talk about having guards come up and grab rebounds while the bigs box out in front IS NOT working, because we have no bigs outside of Horford to be frank. If we continue utilizing Stevens' system, then we aren't contending especially when up against the likes of Thompson, or Valenciunas, or Robin Lopez...

This team is literally a "Robin Lopez" type player away from cruising through the East until the ECF vs. Cleveland IMHO. Yes, a #2 scorer is a need too, but rebounding is vital (can prevent more possessions for the opposition while also getting you more possessions, aka more points as well).

How does Ainge just sit there and watch this happen, and for YEARS.

Yeah, I'm frustrated we lost. This is my mini-rant. And I've also echoed this the entire regular season too. But this is a problem, and it's not like we can just rely on KO, Zeller to just flip the switch all of a sudden (KO is just inconsistent overall).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: We've Had This Problem For Four Dang Years...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 10:05:10 PM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Ainge doesn't respect big men...you didn't know. He thinks you win with tweeners. That's why he's going to draft another guard.

Remember last year when we could've had Javale McGee.

I think they'll win the next game but I would raise the minutes and not play a regular season minute rotation. It's go time, give the starters more minutes.

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 10:06:48 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Ainge doesn't respect big men...you didn't know. He thinks you win with tweeners. That's why he's going to draft another guard.

I think they'll win the next game but I would raise the minutes and not play a regular season minute rotation. It's go time, give the starters more minutes.

The 2018 Draft is flush with big men. Unfortunately 2017 is not.

HOWEVER, Ainge better make some trade for a big man (or sign Griffin). Period.

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 10:08:34 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I suggested a few months ago that perhaps our front office doesn't value rebounding as highly as other front offices.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 10:11:27 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
I suggested a few months ago that perhaps our front office doesn't value rebounding as highly as other front offices.

I suggested this on one of the articles in the main page here...

People said I was overreacting and that it would still work out..  ::)

Like seriously, we need IT to score AND rebound for us now? Pathetic..

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 10:17:04 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 731
I suppose you can win with "tweeners" when your small players are all among the best in the league at their position ............. come to think of it, no, didn't Golden State need Bogut's contributions to win 2 years ago ????

I hope Ainge is smarter than that - I hate this small-ball stuff. Always have. It started with Perkins for Green and has not stopped since.

Surely Ainge and Stevens are not THAT blind though. Horford and Johnson couldn't even move Chicago's post guys out, much less grab a rebound. It was pathetic to watch. We are still a few players away from contention - sorry, but I have said that all year.

This is all secondary today though. Our thoughts should be with Isiah Thomas. All around very depressing day for the Celtic family, which includes us loyal fans I believe.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 10:29:57 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
I suppose you can win with "tweeners" when your small players are all among the best in the league at their position ............. come to think of it, no, didn't Golden State need Bogut's contributions to win 2 years ago ????

I hope Ainge is smarter than that - I hate this small-ball stuff. Always have. It started with Perkins for Green and has not stopped since.

Surely Ainge and Stevens are not THAT blind though. Horford and Johnson couldn't even move Chicago's post guys out, much less grab a rebound. It was pathetic to watch. We are still a few players away from contention - sorry, but I have said that all year.

This is all secondary today though. Our thoughts should be with Isiah Thomas. All around very depressing day for the Celtic family, which includes us loyal fans I believe.

yes no doubt, this is about Isaiah Thomas more than anything.

Still disappointing that the others didn't step up for IT and it ended in a loss.

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 11:34:15 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

Ever since KG and Perkins left... the C's have done nothing to solve it. NADA.

Even when they added Horford, it offset it a bit since our leading rebounder last season, Sullinger, left in FA.

And this whole "system" talk about having guards come up and grab rebounds while the bigs box out in front IS NOT working, because we have no bigs outside of Horford to be frank. If we continue utilizing Stevens' system, then we aren't contending especially when up against the likes of Thompson, or Valenciunas, or Robin Lopez...

This team is literally a "Robin Lopez" type player away from cruising through the East until the ECF vs. Cleveland IMHO. Yes, a #2 scorer is a need too, but rebounding is vital (can prevent more possessions for the opposition while also getting you more possessions, aka more points as well).

How does Ainge just sit there and watch this happen, and for YEARS.

Yeah, I'm frustrated we lost. This is my mini-rant. And I've also echoed this the entire regular season too. But this is a problem, and it's not like we can just rely on KO, Zeller to just flip the switch all of a sudden (KO is just inconsistent overall).

Yeah a Robin Lopez type is really what we need.  He is huge, he plays to his strengths, he works hard and hustles.  Hopefully we get a bit of that next year with Zizic.  It would be nice to have it right now.

I agree with some of the others that an adjustment in our late game small ball lineup might be appropriate against this bulls team.  Running out 2 wings 6'3" or shorter with one 5'7" guy just isn't going to get it done on the boards.  AB and Smart have been good rebounders this year, and during the regular season you can work around it.  During the playoffs teams are game planning for every thing they can exploit.  If I was the Bulls I would keep putting out those bully lineups until the C's do anything to punish them for the lack of quickness. 

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 12:13:38 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
It's been longer than four years.  Danny Ainge can go straight to hell.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 12:20:06 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

Dude, Danny himself came out to suggest it.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 01:02:27 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998

Celtics are just gonna stand pat and do nothing as Danny's usual magics...or add another Amir Johnson or Gerald Green-esque type player!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 05:39:25 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

Getting one of those 3 big men from next years draft is absolutely critical to 2020 > success. This is why I'm still very much in favor of trading for Brook Lopez, and maybe even Hollis-Jefferson.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 05:47:54 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Ever since KG and Perkins left... the C's have done nothing to solve it. NADA

2008 team had  3445 rebounds for the year.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/2008.html

This years team had 3442 rebounds.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/2017.html

We were 13th in rebounding,

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2008.html#all_misc_stats

Now it is true we are 26th this year.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2017.html#all_misc_stats

We had more guys who could put the ball in the hole back then, but we rebound still a weak link.  The above are stats and not opinion or hyperbole.   Fact, he the 2008 team was not a strong rebounding team and Perk was never a dominant rebounder.  64th in rebounding.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2008_per_game.html

Memories cannot be relied on.  We tend to find a way to warp them.

Celtics are just gonna stand pat and do nothing as Danny's usual magics...or add another Amir Johnson or Gerald Green-esque type pl

Ainge does not value rebounding and for a long time he did not value athletic bigs.   I think that may be changing though.