Author Topic: Adjustments for Game 2  (Read 5889 times)

Re: Adjustments for Game 2
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2017, 05:09:49 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
This is my first post in some time. Unfortunately, I am very surprised with Jaylens lack of interest and desire for playing defense. He's almost lost out there. Put away all rookie mistakes, but with his physichs, he should be some factor and of some help. Almost every game he makes some huge mistake. Hope he works on that and would be very glad if he is on the... Let's say Taurean Prince's level right now... If he didn't work harder on that segment of his game with AB, Smart and Jae being on the team, what would happen if tgey waren't? Love the kid but if I'm BS, I'm playing GG instead....

I'm playing Green instead of Brown for the entire playoffs.

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2017, 05:24:46 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I did not see the game but the box score says they got 8 more offensive rebounds than us and ended up with 5 more shot attempts and 4 more Free Throw attempts.  This team has not out rebounded anyone all year, they probably are not going to out rebound Chicago.

We only shot 43% from the field overall and missed 5 FTs.  I think best case, we maybe cut 3-4 offensive rebounds we gave away plus hit a few more shots and FTs and it is still a close game but one we win instead of lose.  Chicago may shoot better too and keep it close even if we do match their rebounds.

This is going to be a tough series.  We are not that much better than Chicago despite the regular season records.  Boston needs to play well, including rebounding to win.  It is easier to be the underdog so there is more pressure on us.  I think that may ultimately be the biggest issue.

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2017, 05:44:56 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
More Tyler Zeller. He would help our rebounding issues vs Lopez and co. He also works really well with Marcus Smart.

I agree with others also who said less AB on Butler, let Crowder and Smart take him most of the time. Crowder had a rough game 1 though, was in foul trouble the whole night. We can't win if that happens, he's our best wing player, Jaylen is not ready yet.

« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2017, 05:46:43 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Don't play 11 guys.

Less Kelly.

Cover Portis.

Create better shots inside the arc.

They missed a ton of layups in the 1st half.

« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2017, 05:55:12 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
More Tyler Zeller. He would help our rebounding issues vs Lopez and co. He also works really well with Marcus Smart.

I agree with others also who said less AB on Butler, let Crowder and Smart take him most of the time. Crowder had a rough game 1 though, was in foul trouble the whole night. We can't win if that happens, he's our best wing player, Jaylen is not ready yet.

Tyler is the softest player on the team with almost zero vertical ability.

« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2017, 05:56:57 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
I wouldn't change much.  The issues (no rebounding, poor shooting) that plagued them last year and the year before (not to mention throughout the season) will be the reason they lose games.

They just need Avery to play well alongside IT and Horford and they will be fine.

« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2017, 06:00:07 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

Tyler is the softest player on the team with almost zero vertical ability.
Lopez
7'6'' wingspan, 9'5'' standing reach

Zeller
7' wingspan, 8'8'' standing reach

We are getting clowned in the paint bc we lack anyone who is has mass and length. Our biggest player is not even on the team...Zizic  9'3'' standing reach and almost 7'3'' wingspan

« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2017, 06:52:41 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
Play Jaylen Brown more!!!! He had a sequence where he knocked down a 3 and then locked down on Jimmy Butler the next play. We will not win if the benches only offense is Marcus Smart pounding the ball around the perimeter, running a pick n roll/pop where he will always give it up, or jack up a bad 3. You want to know why we have such a problem with our bench? It's because we let a non-threatening offensive player run it. I don't see how a team can win games when our best bench player is Marcus Smart.

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2017, 08:34:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The Celtics gave up way too many offensive rebounds. They have to put their collective asses on the bodies of the Bulls and push them away from the ball on rebounds. Its called boxing out and they did none of it in the game yesterday.

They also need to play back on Rondo and cover tight on others when Rondo is in the game. The more hehandles the ball outside and is forced to shoot rather than drive and dish or drive and finish, the better for the Cs.

The ball has to start in IT's hands when he and Smart are in the game. I saw too much of IT standing in the corner while Smart played PG and froze out IT. Don't think it was intentional, but it happened a lot.

Stop with the super small Horford/Crowder/Smart/Bradley/IT lineup, especially if IT isn't originating the offense. Against the Bulls, its not going to work.

« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2017, 09:27:27 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Butler and Cousins would have adjusted just fine

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2017, 09:32:08 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Butler and Cousins would have adjusted just fine

Little Brad was scared of the Boogie man.

Too bad.

« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2017, 09:47:31 PM »

Offline cousytoheinsohn

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33

This is going to be a tough series.  We are not that much better than Chicago despite the regular season records.  Boston needs to play well, including rebounding to win.  It is easier to be the underdog so there is more pressure on us.  I think that may ultimately be the biggest issue.

Great post. This is key. It's the right kind of problem to have.

It'll do the Cs enormous good to work through it against a tough but very beatable squad like the Bulls. Which they're gonna do. Everything's gonna be alright. They'll make the necessary adjustments for Game 2 and moving forward.

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2017, 09:50:53 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I really think all we need to do is gang rebound. Lopez killed us on the boards in the first half when we could have built a decent lead and boosted everyone's confidence on the Celtics.

I think our offense (with IT in) is good enough to score in the half court to not have guys leaking out trying for fast breaks off misses. We just aren't good enough rebounders to clean the glass and run.

We can make them miss, but they had what, 16 offensive rebounds in the first half?

As much as I reflected on the game the past 24 hours, I believe this was a case of emotions doing them in. Some guys tried to do too much. Ironically enough, Isaiah was the most poised and calmest one (after that first free throw). You could see the entire team may not have been as focused on the Bulls themselves and more focused on just the thoughts of playing hard and winning to the Thomas family.

Of course they all played with heavy hearts and only the best of intentions, but they really need to focus on the team in front of them if they really want to win for the Thomas'.

I think last nights game started too emotional for everyone, understandably, and once that sunk in, they didn't have the focus they required.

I fully expect a much better effort from the rest of the team (IT was excellent last night) going forward.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2017, 10:16:39 PM »

Offline cousytoheinsohn

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33

As much as I reflected on the game the past 24 hours, I believe this was a case of emotions doing them in. Some guys tried to do too much. Ironically enough, Isaiah was the most poised and calmest one (after that first free throw). You could see the entire team may not have been as focused on the Bulls themselves and more focused on just the thoughts of playing hard and winning to the Thomas family.

I think last nights game started too emotional for everyone, understandably, and once that sunk in, they didn't have the focus they required.

I fully expect a much better effort from the rest of the team (IT was excellent last night) going forward.

Great point. This has been largely overlooked in the rush to a harsh judgement of the Cs based on a single game. The key adjustments going forward will most likely be mental ones. They'll make them which in turn will make them a much better, even tougher team for the duration.

It's gonna be fun to watch.

« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2017, 11:44:31 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
We need our backcourt to better stay in front of the players they're guarding, as the opposing guards try to get into the paint. So our bigs won't have to rotate so much, having to react to the players heading to the rim. This causes our bigs to be in poor rebounding position, allowing for so many offensive rebounds.

We're not a very big team, or good rebounders in general, but we can't be this bad.