Author Topic: Rozier over Portis, A Magnificent decision Lol.  (Read 22014 times)

Re: Rozier over Portis. A trash decision.
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2017, 06:16:21 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Verdict is in. One of the stupidest choices Ainge has made in the draft.
 A pick that nearly everyone was furious over for good reason.

We may lose this series because of it. Horford, Portis, Amir, Kelly, would be a nice Frontcourt.

Rozier gets no minutes, he's the Last thing we needed, but Ainge had to have his Binky.
 Portis was easily the best player on the board.

Terrible.
It's not as bad as Giannis over KO, but I think we can all agree on this.

Smart over J Randle still seems to be a mistake as well.

I will assume this is a joke.
Silly assumption. One is a starter in this league and the other is the single worst shooter in it
The fact that Julius Randle starts for the 3rd worst team in the league while Smart is the 6th man for the 4th best, does not help your argument.
Randle would start for us. Smart would not start for the Lakers. Fact*
*opinion

Randle probably starts for us, I think Marcus probably starts in LA. Either way its a ****ty point.
I suppose it's within the realm of possibility he'd start at small forward to give Ingram time to grow or maybe Ingram moves over to pf with his height and length. LA is still tanking and not taking steps forward in this scenario.
Smart would start over Nick Young, because he is better than Nick Young.
Nick Young had a far better year than Smart. Which is kinda what you expect. Nick Young did the 32 year old putting up decent numbers on a terrible team thing. Smart did the 23 year old putting up highly inefficient numbers on a decent team thing.

« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2017, 06:16:45 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

We may lose this series because of it. Horford, Portis, Amir, Kelly, would be a nice Frontcourt.

Rozier gets no minutes, he's the Last thing we needed, but Ainge had to have his Binky.

Terrible.

Silly assumption. One is a starter in this league and the other is the single worst shooter in it
The fact that Julius Randle starts for the 3rd worst team in the league while Smart is the 6th man for the 4th best, does not help your argument.
Randle would start for us. Smart would not start for the Lakers. Fact
Except Amir Johnson is better than Randle and would probably start.  And there is a good chance Smart would start next to Russell in the backcourt.  So it's definitely not a fact.
Amir Johnson is on his last legs. He can hardly keep KO off the court.
Brad doesnt play guys much if they are as lost on defense as Julius Randle is on a regular basis.

his rebounding prowess and ability to pass well would probably force him into the starting lineup eventually, but he would not get many minutes until he woke the Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. up on defense.

Kelly and Amir are trash defensively at this point(physically) but they are intelligent enough to generally know where to be and to play solid team defense.

If you cant do that (randles shown no signs that he can) then you wont play much for any team that isnt just tanking (see Lakers, LA).

if we are gonna take this pointless hypothetical this literally you might as well factor that in.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2017, 06:22:22 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Terrible.

Except Amir Johnson is better than Randle and would probably start.  And there is a good chance Smart would start next to Russell in the backcourt.  So it's definitely not a fact.
Brad doesnt play guys much if they are as lost on defense as Julius Randle is on a regular basis.

his rebounding prowess and ability to pass well would probably force him into the starting lineup eventually, but he would not get many minutes until he woke the **** up on defense.

Kelly and Amir are trash defensively at this point(physically) but they are intelligent enough to generally know where to be and to play solid team defense.

If you cant do that (randles shown no signs that he can) then you wont play much for any team that isnt just tanking (see Lakers, LA).

if we are gonna take this pointless hypothetical this literally you might as well factor that in.
Ok. I'm factoring that in. Randle would start for us. Smart wouldn't start for the Lakers.

« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2017, 06:23:55 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Terrible.

his rebounding prowess and ability to pass well would probably force him into the starting lineup eventually, but he would not get many minutes until he woke the **** up on defense.

Ok. I'm factoring that in. Randle would start for us. Smart wouldn't start for the Lakers.
yeah, I mean thats a fine opinion. I disagree with it completely, but we obviously arent going anywhere in this debate.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2017, 06:31:01 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Terrible.

yeah, I mean thats a fine opinion. I disagree with it completely, but we obviously arent going anywhere in this debate.
This is the difference....in the NBA you can start a young player that is ok on offense, rebounds, and gets lost on defense.

You can't start a guy that can't shoot, especially if he also isn't a great passer, especially at pg. Unless maybe you're the Magic and Elfrid Payton is all you have.

That's why Smart is a combo guard. Part of the reason is he can defend anyone. The other reason is because anyone can defend him.

« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2017, 06:35:42 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Terrible.

This is the difference....in the NBA you can start a young player that is ok on offense, rebounds, and gets lost on defense.

You can't start a guy that can't shoot, especially if he also isn't a great passer, especially at pg. Unless maybe you're the Magic and Elfrid Payton is all you have.

That's why Smart is a combo guard. Part of the reason is he can defend anyone. The other reason is because anyone can defend him.
wait what?

id say exactly the opposite.

young players only start (for teams trying to win) if they can defend.

« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2017, 06:45:01 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Terrible.

wait what?

We have plenty of (vet) players getting tons of minutes on this team that can hardly defend. To be fair to Smart he covers up a lot of their issues. Smart's defense is almost good enough CBS HAS to play him. But not start him. That's for sure. 

« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2017, 06:52:13 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48

Terrible.

wait what?

We have plenty of (vet) players getting tons of minutes on this team that can hardly defend. To be fair to Smart he covers up a lot of their issues. Smart's defense is almost good enough CBS HAS to play him. But not start him. That's for sure.
well its a bit different, when the player Stevens starts instead was first team all-defense last year and the other guy just had the best offensive season for a Celtics since like Larry Bird, made an all-star game and could sneak his way into the top-5 of MVP voting. 

« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2017, 08:04:02 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Terrible.

wait what?

well its a bit different, when the player Stevens starts instead was first team all-defense last year and the other guy just had the best offensive season for a Celtics since like Larry Bird, made an all-star game and could sneak his way into the top-5 of MVP voting.
You definitely have to give a lot of credit to Avery Bradley for upping his game. He has put in the work to develop his shot.

« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2017, 09:16:21 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Terrible.

Randle has put up thoroughly pedestrian numbers on a horrible team. 

Mike
Smart's numbers are that good? His efficiency makes Toine look like a hall of famer

Smart has demonstrated over and over again that he has elite defensive abilities.  Randle has not shown himself to be elite at anything.

Mike

« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2017, 09:22:24 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Terrible.

You can play young players who get lost on defense if...you know...you're not trying to WIN basketball games.  Randle as he is now would not start for ANY legitimate playoff contender.  Bad defenders only start on good teams if they are spectacular at other aspects of the game.  Randle, at this point, isn't exceptional at anything.

Mike

« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2017, 09:37:32 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
ehm I dont think revisiting the 2015 draft is the right thing to do after a loss in the 2017 playoffs

these are two unconnected events

lol TP.

Sky is falling threads aside, Terry Rozier had been better than Portis all year up until recently.
Right now, Rozier's trade value would be more than Portis' trade value.

Rozier has looked very, very good at many times this year. This is his second season in the NBA and he has had to simplify his offensive ability to fit a role. The guy was a go to scorer in college. On our team he's a 3rd string combo guard who is expected to play good bench defense and not screw up plays on offense. Brad obviously trusts him a lot already and lets him create his own offense because Rozier has shown his ability to create offense for himself and others.

Kid is oozing with talent and is a two way player.
In his 2nd year in the NBA Rozier is not even close to his ceiling. There's a chance he becomes a starting guard in the NBA one day.
Portis is meh/ okay and Rozier is good.
Rozier was the better pick.

I am not going to list the number of superb point guards that took 3 plus years to actually learn the point guard position in the NBA-a number of them hall of famers. Now there are exceptions to this of course-Magic Johnson. But point guard is the toughest position to make the adjustment from in college basketball to the NBA. Give him time. He'll be a Celtic or be part of a bigger trade.
I think he's the insurance for Bradely, IT, Smart on potential future moves.  Portis has talent, and shows flashes of his potential.  I think its a wash on this argument.
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2017, 09:37:40 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48

Terrible.

would now be a bad time to point out that Andre Roberson(career 26% 3 point shooter), a defensive specialist is starting and averaging 37mpg for the Thunder in the playoffs, while 6moty candidate Enes Kanter is coming off the bench for 12 minutes a game.

because while, Kanter can rebound and score decently well, he cant defend so when he is on the floor he gets attacked relentlessly. Roberson on the other hand can defend and for that reason hes been in their starting lineup for 2 years now.

if you want more examples of defensive specialists, how long has Tony Allen started for Memphis? how long has Lou Williams and Jamal Crawford come off the bench?

Greg Monroe and Jonas Valunciunas came off the bench today. Thon Maker started because he can defend. Malcom Brogdon? in there cus he defends. Norm Powell? defense. Tony Snell? in there for defense.

thats 4 young players getting the start because they defend while the 2 big men who can rebound well and score OK started on the bench, because defense gets you starts in the NBA when you actually care about winning.

Young players get minutes because of their defense. Either that or their team doesnt care about winning.

« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2017, 10:21:40 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Terrible.

would now be a bad time to point out that Andre Roberson(career 26% 3 point shooter), a defensive specialist is starting and averaging 37mpg for the Thunder in the playoffs, while 6moty candidate Enes Kanter is coming off the bench for 12 minutes a game.

because while, Kanter can rebound and score decently well, he cant defend so when he is on the floor he gets attacked relentlessly. Roberson on the other hand can defend and for that reason hes been in their starting lineup for 2 years now.

if you want more examples of defensive specialists, how long has Tony Allen started for Memphis? how long has Lou Williams and Jamal Crawford come off the bench?

Greg Monroe and Jonas Valunciunas came off the bench today. Thon Maker started because he can defend. Malcom Brogdon? in there cus he defends. Norm Powell? defense. Tony Snell? in there for defense.

thats 4 young players getting the start because they defend while the 2 big men who can rebound well and score OK started on the bench, because defense gets you starts in the NBA when you actually care about winning.

Young players get minutes because of their defense. Either that or their team doesnt care about winning.
Hey if you think championship teams are built on the Tony Snells of the world more power to you. Give me Julius Randle.

« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2017, 10:24:00 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Terrible.

You can play young players who get lost on defense if...you know...you're not trying to WIN basketball games.  Randle as he is now would not start for ANY legitimate playoff contender.  Bad defenders only start on good teams if they are spectacular at other aspects of the game.  Randle, at this point, isn't exceptional at anything.

Mike
Let me get this straight.....you believe Smart would potentially start for a "legitimate playoff contender?"  Well, not the Bulls and they're the 8 seed. We know that. We also know Julius Randle would start for ours so there's that too.