Author Topic: Another KP idea  (Read 4199 times)

Re: Another KP idea
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2017, 06:30:44 PM »

Offline SuddenFame

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 28
I like the idea, I think KP and Brad Stevens could be a great match.  Totally on board with this proposal.

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 06:59:23 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Let's say we get the #2 pick in the draft.  In a prearranged trade, would you do this deal?

BOS trades: BRK17 (#2 overall), Jae Crowder, 2017 second rounder
NYK trades: Porzingis, Carmelo, O'Quinn

Horford / O'Quinn / Zizic
Porzingis / Yabu
Carmelo / Brown
Bradley / Smart
Isaiah / Rozier

Does that trade make us a contender? Are we deep enough? Who could we get with the room exception? Does winning cure chemistry issues? What is KP's upside versus Ball's or Jackson's?

That's such a great trade man. I hope Ainge at least calls about KP. I would do it for Fultz as well. KP seems like a potential top 5 talent to me. Apparently he's a great rim protector unlike Towns. He seems to fit the Unicorn label. 

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 07:24:52 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Let's say we get the #2 pick in the draft.  In a prearranged trade, would you do this deal?

BOS trades: BRK17 (#2 overall), Jae Crowder, 2017 second rounder
NYK trades: Porzingis, Carmelo, O'Quinn

Horford / O'Quinn / Zizic
Porzingis / Yabu
Carmelo / Brown
Bradley / Smart
Isaiah / Rozier

Does that trade make us a contender? Are we deep enough? Who could we get with the room exception? Does winning cure chemistry issues? What is KP's upside versus Ball's or Jackson's?

Awesome Idea. TP.

Celtics would need to sweeten in a bit.

. What would be awesome is Kristaps getting a chance to win big with his best good friend Carmelo.

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2017, 07:55:10 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
No -- I don't like the balance of the team.

Both Porzingis and Horford need to play center. Not PF.
Melo needs to play PF and not SF which he can't do if Porzingis / Horford are starting bigs.
Melo and Isaiah are two of the worst perimeter defenders in the league.

If that was the roster, I think Melo would have to come off the bench in a 6th man role. Sorta like Tobias Harris a few years ago or Corliss Williamson for the 2004 Pistons. That combo-forward instant offense type role.

The Celtics would be too lacking in athleticism and defensive quickness if Melo was shoehorned into that starting lineup. Porzingis and Horford as a starting pair have okay but not great defensive quickness. They need more help from the perimeter defense which they would not get if both Melo and Isaiah were allowed to start next to them. Bradley would be the only player with plus quickness and defensive ability in the starting lineup.

If Jae is traded, that would mean Jaylen would have to start.

PG - Isaiah, Smart
SG - Bradley, Smart
SF - Jaylen, Melo
PF - Porzingis, Melo
 C - Horford, Olynyk

Zizic, Yabu, Rozier as deep bench. Need some more bench wings who can defend.

That doesn't look like a contender to me. Looks one more big piece away from being a title contender. Maybe Jaylen grows into that piece ... but right now, no ... not a contender.

Pretty much this. I like a lot of the talent on that team, but the fit just seems...off.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2017, 08:11:06 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
KP would play a major roll in next year's playoffs.

Based on Jaylen Browns 2017 playoff, I doubt any rookie we draft would.

And Melo is probably a upgrade in a playoff series.

So yes, based on need and experience,  I make that trade.

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2017, 01:54:45 AM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
I don't believe in a trade in which we get Melo.

I think he will be a misfit in our system and would have much more value on slower playing team like The Clippers.

By the way Knicks will not do this trade, as that know that Melo got great value for several teams, just not for us.

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2017, 01:57:51 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I think he will be a misfit in our system and would have much more value on slower playing team like The Clippers.

By the way Knicks will not do this trade, as that know that Melo got great value for several teams, just not for us.
in each of the last two years in the playoffs we have been forced to turn to a stretch forward to open spacing up and force opposing big men into bad matchups.

last year it was Jonas, this year it was Gerald.

Carmelo Anthony is way better than both those players.

teams can survive by making Jerebko or Green beat them. Carmelo Anthony would punish you every time.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2017, 02:09:13 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Any guy we get will be a much better prospect than Jaylen was.

Also, Jackson specifically is said to be an NBA ready defender with a great iq on both ends of the floor.

Brown was said to be a low-iq player on both ends with high defensive potential.

Defense, iq, and and NBA body get you on the floor in big moments as a rookie. Jacksons got all 3, I dont think hed be relegated to the bench.

Ball has a very high bball iq but its possible his defense keeps him on the bench. Tatum would probably get Brown'd but he is just a better prospect than Brown so its possible he could contribute.

Fultz is no defensive wiz, but he projects to be so much better than Brown that im not sure you can apply the same rules to him.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2017, 06:58:30 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

Also, Jackson specifically is said to be an NBA ready defender with a great iq on both ends of the floor.

Brown was said to be a low-iq player on both ends with high defensive potential.

Defense, iq, and and NBA body get you on the floor in big moments as a rookie. Jacksons got all 3, I dont think hed be relegated to the bench.

Ball has a very high bball iq but its possible his defense keeps him on the bench. Tatum would probably get Brown'd but he is just a better prospect than Brown so its possible he could contribute.

Fultz is no defensive wiz, but he projects to be so much better than Brown that im not sure you can apply the same rules to him.

I think fans and even experts aren't realistic about players that haven't ever played in the NBA. One of those recent redrafts have Yabu and Zizic in the top 10. Based on what?

Imo, as great as any of those top 4 picks will be, I doubt they are trusted to contribute in next year's playoffs because of lack of experience. 

It just seems to work that way.

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2017, 07:33:27 AM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3

in each of the last two years in the playoffs we have been forced to turn to a stretch forward to open spacing up and force opposing big men into bad matchups.

teams can survive by making Jerebko or Green beat them. Carmelo Anthony would punish you every time.

But you really don't get what I'm trying to say.

I'm not at all trying to say that Carmelo is a bad player, what I'm saying is, that he will not be a good fit for us, as our way of playing doesn't fit him.

If we get him we would have to pay him 26 mio next year and 28 mio the season after. That is a really high price to play for a player, that might be an upgrade on the current roster, but not at all be the perfect fit for our team. By the end of his contract he will be 34.

Trading for Melo will mean that we would have no chance of trading for top free agents for the next to seasons, as we would also have a lot of money tied up in Horfords contract. I think that would mean that our only chance of competing would be next season because of the expiring of Thomas' and good contracts, and do we honestly believe Carmelo can make us champions, as long as Golden State has Curry and Durant, and Cavs have LeBron.

I would much rather try to trade for Hayward who I believe would be a much better fit, and at the same time try to get an unhappy Porzingis with a much lower price, which I think will be possible.

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2017, 02:11:35 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

But you really don't get what I'm trying to say.

I'm not at all trying to say that Carmelo is a bad player, what I'm saying is, that he will not be a good fit for us, as our way of playing doesn't fit him.

If we get him we would have to pay him 26 mio next year and 28 mio the season after. That is a really high price to play for a player, that might be an upgrade on the current roster, but not at all be the perfect fit for our team. By the end of his contract he will be 34.

Trading for Melo will mean that we would have no chance of trading for top free agents for the next to seasons, as we would also have a lot of money tied up in Horfords contract. I think that would mean that our only chance of competing would be next season because of the expiring of Thomas' and good contracts, and do we honestly believe Carmelo can make us champions, as long as Golden State has Curry and Durant, and Cavs have LeBron.

I would much rather try to trade for Hayward who I believe would be a much better fit, and at the same time try to get an unhappy Porzingis with a much lower price, which I think will be possible.
Id also rather get Hayward. I dont see Kristaps being available for scraps. cap space is overrated. I think melo would fit fine here. Hes not option A, but Im not against "trade in which we get Melo." depending on how the offseason goes and how low his price drops (I expect it to be very low) he could make a ton of sense.

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2017, 02:15:32 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

I think fans and even experts aren't realistic about players that haven't ever played in the NBA. One of those recent redrafts have Yabu and Zizic in the top 10. Based on what?

Imo, as great as any of those top 4 picks will be, I doubt they are trusted to contribute in next year's playoffs because of lack of experience. 

It just seems to work that way.
I mean its possible, but all 4 of those guys are receiving way more hype than Brown was at this time.

They arent even in the same range as prospects. Furthermore, Brown was very raw, while a guy like Jackson projects as more NBA ready.

I mean, rookies do get time in big moments. Smart did, Brogdon and Maker are this year. Last year Powell and Winslow did. You just need to be intelligent on defense and have and NBA body.

either that or your talent needs to be transcendent. Jacksons got the D, body and iq. Fultz has the talent. Id imagine both would contribute in the playoffs next year.