Author Topic: Another KP idea  (Read 4214 times)

Another KP idea
« on: April 16, 2017, 07:48:57 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Let's say we get the #2 pick in the draft.  In a prearranged trade, would you do this deal?

BOS trades: BRK17 (#2 overall), Jae Crowder, 2017 second rounder
NYK trades: Porzingis, Carmelo, O'Quinn

Horford / O'Quinn / Zizic
Porzingis / Yabu
Carmelo / Brown
Bradley / Smart
Isaiah / Rozier

Does that trade make us a contender? Are we deep enough? Who could we get with the room exception? Does winning cure chemistry issues? What is KP's upside versus Ball's or Jackson's?

« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 08:05:31 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Another KP deal
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 07:53:36 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
 I'd do that deal.

Not sure NYK is getting enough back, however. Playing devil's advocate, I'd ask for Rozier and a future 1st to sweeten the pot.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 07:58:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'd be a little bit concerned with Thomas, Melo, Horford all on the negative side of the "stay in front of quicker offensive players in the pick and roll" equation.

That said, Porzingis might not have as high an upside as Fultz or Ball, but the floor for him is All-Star caliber inside-out center on a good team with above average coaching. 

Getting a professional scorer (which this team needs) and a quality energy big to replace KO on the bench on top of that would be quite a haul.

I agree that this would be a tough sell for New York.  Zinger is the only reason for Knicks fans to be excited about the team at the moment, and the history of #2 overall picks is not exactly stellar over the last few years.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 08:02:07 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Setting aside KP and Melo, I think O'Quinn should be an off-season target no matter what happens with the rest of the roster.

He's wasted on that Knicks team, and the Celts desperately need a big man off the bench who brings energy, grabs boards, sets an edge inside.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 08:03:32 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Can we trade Melo to another team after this deal goes thru?

I just don't like having Melo and Isaiah together on the same team. I don't like the fit of two ball dominant guys being together.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 08:09:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
Can we trade Melo to another team after this deal goes thru?

I just don't like having Melo and Isaiah together on the same team. I don't like the fit of two ball dominant guys being together.

Two ball dominant guys isn't an issue -- in fact it's a strength -- as long as they can each do something positive when playing off the ball.

A major weakness of the Celts right now is that there's nobody who is really dangerous with the ball in his hands when the other team succeeds in forcing the ball out of Isaiah's hands.

Thomas has played alright operating off the ball when Smart has been the ballhandler.

Melo has shown an ability to succeed off the ball on team USA.

Question is whether Brad would be able to get everybody to buy into playing the correct way.
- Mark Twain

Re: Another KP idea
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 08:30:47 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
No -- I don't like the balance of the team.

Both Porzingis and Horford need to play center. Not PF.
Melo needs to play PF and not SF which he can't do if Porzingis / Horford are starting bigs.
Melo and Isaiah are two of the worst perimeter defenders in the league.

If that was the roster, I think Melo would have to come off the bench in a 6th man role. Sorta like Tobias Harris a few years ago or Corliss Williamson for the 2004 Pistons. That combo-forward instant offense type role.

The Celtics would be too lacking in athleticism and defensive quickness if Melo was shoehorned into that starting lineup. Porzingis and Horford as a starting pair have okay but not great defensive quickness. They need more help from the perimeter defense which they would not get if both Melo and Isaiah were allowed to start next to them. Bradley would be the only player with plus quickness and defensive ability in the starting lineup.

If Jae is traded, that would mean Jaylen would have to start.

PG - Isaiah, Smart
SG - Bradley, Smart
SF - Jaylen, Melo
PF - Porzingis, Melo
 C - Horford, Olynyk

Zizic, Yabu, Rozier as deep bench. Need some more bench wings who can defend.

That doesn't look like a contender to me. Looks one more big piece away from being a title contender. Maybe Jaylen grows into that piece ... but right now, no ... not a contender.

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 01:28:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
There is no way New York makes that trade so there really isn't any point in talking about it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 01:40:20 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
There is no way New York makes that trade so there really isn't any point in talking about it.

New York would love to turn Melo into Crowder.

So, it comes down to whether KP is worth more than the #2.  He probably is, but that can change if he demands a trade.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 02:08:20 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Let's say we get the #2 pick in the draft.  In a prearranged trade, would you do this deal?

BOS trades: BRK17 (#2 overall), Jae Crowder, 2017 second rounder
NYK trades: Porzingis, Carmelo, O'Quinn

Horford / O'Quinn / Zizic
Porzingis / Yabu
Carmelo / Brown
Bradley / Smart
Isaiah / Rozier

Does that trade make us a contender? Are we deep enough? Who could we get with the room exception? Does winning cure chemistry issues? What is KP's upside versus Ball's or Jackson's?
sadly no, but i will do pick KP swap
mind KP is injury prone thus #2 is about the right price

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 03:24:57 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
It's an interesting trade idea. I don't think I like it because I don't really like Carmelo. I have a hard time imagining him buying into the team concept Brad has instilled. He seems resigned to being a ball stopper until he can't make big money playing basketball anymore.

I'm being picky but I'm being that way because, the way I see it, the only way Porzingis could be available at all is if he has demanded a trade. Otherwise, they're not letting him go. But if he has demanded a trade, the Knicks lose their leverage and Porzingis could be potentially got without giving up Crowder for Melo.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 05:13:14 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
Roy, I'm assuming Zeller and Amir would be involved to make salaries match?

I love it. We have to move Crowder at some point to make way for Brown.

I would like Carmelo in a role, with several members of the second unit. Maybe he starts, but Brown comes in for him pretty early. Then, bring him back with the second unit. If he is on the floor with athletic defenders (who can hopefully spot up and hit open shots) he could be effective. Put him on the floor with Smart, Rozier or Bradley, O'Quinn, Yabu - I would think the second unit wouldn't struggle to score so much.

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 03:37:42 AM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
It looks like that a trade for Porzingis is not that unrealistic anyway. I think he is trying to force himself out of New York.
http://nypost.com/2017/04/24/porzingis-i-love-new-york-but-care-most-about-winning/

And maybe the price isn't even that high

https://dailyknicks.com/2017/04/24/knicks-kristaps-porzingis-trade-rumors/

I think that a trade involving Bradley, Crowder, a first rounder(not nets) and a few second rounders might actually be enough, at Knicks might be blowing it all up.

I know the trade doesn't work in the trade machine so we have to bring ind some salary filler and maybe even involve a third team to make it happen.

Knicks will do the deal, as Bradley and Crowder are great lockerroomguys that would really be great on a rebuilding team.

We would do it, because we can then trade for Hayward and have a pretty good rotation, especially if get to draft Fultz.

Guards
Thomas, Smart, Fultz and Rozier

Forwards
Hayward, Brown and maybe someone like Jerebko on a minimum deal!

Bigs
Porzingis, Horford, Yabusele and Zizic

I think that team might actually be a contender

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 04:25:39 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
It looks like that a trade for Porzingis is not that unrealistic anyway. I think he is trying to force himself out of New York.
http://nypost.com/2017/04/24/porzingis-i-love-new-york-but-care-most-about-winning/

And maybe the price isn't even that high

https://dailyknicks.com/2017/04/24/knicks-kristaps-porzingis-trade-rumors/

I think that a trade involving Bradley, Crowder, a first rounder(not nets) and a few second rounders might actually be enough, at Knicks might be blowing it all up.

I know the trade doesn't work in the trade machine so we have to bring ind some salary filler and maybe even involve a third team to make it happen.

Knicks will do the deal, as Bradley and Crowder are great lockerroomguys that would really be great on a rebuilding team.

We would do it, because we can then trade for Hayward and have a pretty good rotation, especially if get to draft Fultz.

Guards
Thomas, Smart, Fultz and Rozier

Forwards
Hayward, Brown and maybe someone like Jerebko on a minimum deal!

Bigs
Porzingis, Horford, Yabusele and Zizic

I think that team might actually be a contender
Think so as well, I'd actually resign James Young and sign Nader for the wing spots. Also I'd use the MLE for a guy like David West or Mo Speights. Finally I'd pick a hardworking center with one of our 2nds who is basically a body to use inside when Horford or Porzingis get hurt.

Lineup:
PG: IT, Rozier, Jackson
SG: Smart, Fultz, Young
SF:Hayward, Brown, Nader
PF:Porzingis, West, Yabusele
C: Horford, Zizic, 2nd rounder
2nd unit is super young but they've got Rozier (has some playoff experience),West (enough said lol) and Jaylen (quick learner so his rookie season should be good experience already, especially as we're looking to go relatively deep in the playoffs this year). Fultz is a phenom so I guess he'll pick up things quickly during the season, especially with good vets around him. As for Zizic, he's already got some pro experience unde his belt so I think he'll be fine, playing in the best league in the world except for the NBA is no small thing, especially when you lead a team to beat the best non nba team in the world in the playoffs.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 07:35:16 AM »

Offline JumpingJudkins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
I saw the title and wondered "why are we stilling trying to get Kendrick Perkins back?"