Author Topic: Porzingis leaves to Latvia, may not return to NY as result of frustrations  (Read 6880 times)

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
This is the frustrating thing about the draft lottery ... seeing exciting, likable young players have their best years wasted by crappy organizations.

Porzingis, Davis, Towns, Cousins ... these guys should be the next wave of mega stars in the league, but they're only seen in next-day highlights because their teams are so poorly run.

I don't know about Towns,  they have a very exciting team to watch and grow. I believe the direction of the team changed once they hired Tom Thibs, only time can tell where they will be 3-5 years from now but a lineup of

Lavine/Wiggins/Towns is very exciting
I wouldn't be so fast to take Minnesota off the list of teams that don't know what they are doing. Here are their last 13 years worth of wins per season:

2005 - 44
2017 - 31

They had what many thought was an exciting core when they had Love in his 3rd year, Ricky Rubio and Derrick Williams as rookies, and Pekovic as a 2nd year player. What happened? Towns, Wiggins, Lavine isn't exactly a great defensive core. They can score but good teams defend and those guys aren't very good at that even with Thibs. Last year the TWolves had the highest Drtg they have ever had.

The ghost of David Kahn may still live in Minny. I am not about to take them off the list of poorly run franchises.

I agree. In fact, drafting Kris Dunn was a classic Kahn move, not only a dud, but a PG dud, when you already have a very good PG.

Wasn't their premise of drafting Dunn to be used as trade bait for Butler?

No, that was our premise. Their premise was that Dunn would be so good he would quickly replace Rubio and fit with their younger core, and they would trade Rubio.

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Totally misleading title.It doesnt say anywhere that he "may not return to NY as result of frustrations"

Just says hes going to take his time coming back.

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
This is the frustrating thing about the draft lottery ... seeing exciting, likable young players have their best years wasted by crappy organizations.

Porzingis, Davis, Towns, Cousins ... these guys should be the next wave of mega stars in the league, but they're only seen in next-day highlights because their teams are so poorly run.

I don't know about Towns,  they have a very exciting team to watch and grow. I believe the direction of the team changed once they hired Tom Thibs, only time can tell where they will be 3-5 years from now but a lineup of

I wouldn't be so fast to take Minnesota off the list of teams that don't know what they are doing. Here are their last 13 years worth of wins per season:

2005 - 44
2017 - 31

They had what many thought was an exciting core when they had Love in his 3rd year, Ricky Rubio and Derrick Williams as rookies, and Pekovic as a 2nd year player. What happened? Towns, Wiggins, Lavine isn't exactly a great defensive core. They can score but good teams defend and those guys aren't very good at that even with Thibs. Last year the TWolves had the highest Drtg they have ever had.

The ghost of David Kahn may still live in Minny. I am not about to take them off the list of poorly run franchises.

I agree. In fact, drafting Kris Dunn was a classic Kahn move, not only a dud, but a PG dud, when you already have a very good PG.

No, that was our premise. Their premise was that Dunn would be so good he would quickly replace Rubio and fit with their younger core, and they would trade Rubio.

Dunn has to be the big bust of the draft so far, right? The other top picks are all still youngsters, except for Hield who ended up showing some flashes after he got traded.

It's obviously still early, but I suspect you could find 10 guys taken after him who have higher trade value as of right now.

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Whelp, and looks like Carmelo Anthony and his wife La La are divorced as well.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Not divorced, just separated
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478

2005 - 44
2017 - 31

Dunn has to be the big bust of the draft so far, right? The other top picks are all still youngsters, except for Hield who ended up showing some flashes after he got traded.

It's obviously still early, but I suspect you could find 10 guys taken after him who have higher trade value as of right now.

Dunn really has been a massive disappointment. I'd rather have Rozier, who is the same age, but without the injury history.

Dunn and Brown were my two binkies in the draft this year, but boy, was I wrong about Dunn.

With his athleticism and handle maybe he can turn it around, but his scoring efficiency really needs to improve.

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I think La La is/was a big part of Carmelo being stubborn about the no trade clause. For business reasons she kind of has to be in either NY or LA.

Weirdly, them being separated, more than anything else, makes me think Carmelo getting traded is inevitable.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I think La La is/was a big part of Carmelo being stubborn about the no trade clause. For business reasons she kind of has to be in either NY or LA.

Weirdly, them being separated, more than anything else, makes me think Carmelo getting traded is inevitable.

Same here. When I first saw it, I actually thought it was solely about him getting traded and her not wanting to move.

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Carmelo to the Clippers just makes too much sense.

Doc doesn't want to blow it up and the Clips need another scorer (because DeAndre Jordan as part of your "big 3" won't cut it).

His price is low as well, and I'm sure Melo would love another big market in LA.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

Doc doesn't want to blow it up and the Clips need another scorer (because DeAndre Jordan as part of your "big 3" won't cut it).

His price is low as well, and I'm sure Melo would love another big market in LA.
That all sounds good but what can the Clippers give up that NY would take?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 07:17:00 PM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

That all sounds good bu what can the Clippers give up that NY would take?

Best I can do is Crawford, Wesley Johnson, and Bass non-guaranteed, Pierce partial guaranteed, and 1st round picks in 2022 and 2024.  That's $21 million in salary next year, and $3 million the following year, or $9 million of Wes Johnson picks up his $6 million player option.  Let's them nominally still compete during the first half of the year, and then ship out Crawford at the deadline for something else.

But they'd have to wait at least 5 drafts from now to get a 1st, and get potentially no cost savings if Anthony opts out and Johnson doesn't.  The Clippers don't exactly have a treasure trove of contracts and picks to send

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

That all sounds good but what can the Clippers give up that NY would take?

Best I can do is Crawford, Wesley Johnson, and Bass non-guaranteed, Pierce partial guaranteed, and 1st round picks in 2022 and 2024.  That's $21 million in salary next year, and $3 million the following year, or $9 million of Wes Johnson picks up his $6 million player option.  Let's them nominally still compete during the first half of the year, and then ship out Crawford at the deadline for something else.

But they'd have to wait at least 5 drafts from now to get a 1st, and get potentially no cost savings if Anthony opts out and Johnson doesn't.  The Clippers don't exactly have a treasure trove of contracts and picks to send
Exactly. I don't see any way the Knicks would let Anthony go for 2 picks that they'd have to wait 5 years to get and filler. There doesn't seem to be a deal there.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Melo needs a massive new contract ....

To pay for the huge divorce settlement ......and ...

His NEW family  ;D

Danny needs to leave for Latvia too.....not return home without the Kid wanting to play in Boston.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 07:29:00 PM by SHAQATTACK »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
I'm glad that I'm not in Knicks management but what shall they do with this mess. They have overpaid for several old players that are no-tradable and at the same time they got a huge talent like KP, that won't wait for ages on a losing team.

The main problems as I see it is:

Anthony and Noah, but I also believe that Lee's major contract is also a huge problem.

I think they need to get Griffin, but to that they need to free up some wages even though they do not resign Rose, if they should keep Anthony. Even if they do that, they will have problems on the guard-positions.

I think the other option is to blow it all up and try to get as much as possible for the assets they have. Melo to clippers is an obvious trade as he would be a perfect fit.

If they choose this option I also think that should try to get as much for kp as possible as he will leave if they are not competing when he becomes a free agent in two years time.

The rest of the plan is to get as many picks and young talents and good lockerroom-guys to help the youngsters develop and then begin to tank without losing on purpose but just playing talents not yet developed.

What would you do?

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I'm glad that I'm not in Knicks management but what shall they do with this mess. They have overpaid for several old players that are no-tradable and at the same time they got a huge talent like KP, that won't wait for ages on a losing team.

The main problems as I see it is:

Anthony and Noah, but I also believe that Lee's major contract is also a huge problem.

I think they need to get Griffin, but to that they need to free up some wages even though they do not resign Rose, if they should keep Anthony. Even if they do that, they will have problems on the guard-positions.

I think the other option is to blow it all up and try to get as much as possible for the assets they have. Melo to clippers is an obvious trade as he would be a perfect fit.

If they choose this option I also think that should try to get as much for kp as possible as he will leave if they are not competing when he becomes a free agent in two years time.

The rest of the plan is to get as many picks and young talents and good lockerroom-guys to help the youngsters develop and then begin to tank without losing on purpose but just playing talents not yet developed.

What would you do?
I'd really tank if I were them, I'd trade Carmelo to the Clips for expiring deals and a few second round picks. I'd then draft a guard like Dennis Smith or Frank Nitilkina and pray that he develops. Also I'd release Noah or Lee (depends on who has a worse contract) to teams not looking to contend and give them those 2nds acquired from the clips as compensation, maybe even a protected first round draft pick. I'd then go and try to sign a young guy with star potential to the max like Otto Porter and then build around the FA, pick and Porzingis while keeping some vets to be good locker room presences like O'Quinn and the remaining bad contract. I'd then tank like hell to get inside the protection lol and pick another guy for filling any more holes. After that it's trying to get progressively better
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA