Author Topic: what would his sister want  (Read 3416 times)

Re: what would his sister want
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2017, 01:19:26 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
It's not about what his sister would want, or what Thomas "wants" to do.  It's about what he's able to do.  It's extremely easy for all of us who are personally disaffected to say we would go out and play our best as a tribute, just as it's easy to say you would sacrifice your life for a cause when death isn't on the horizon.  But that's just not how it works when you are actually living it out.

I'm willing to bet the person raising this question of "what would his sister want" has never suffered an unexpected family member loss.  When that happens, your emotions are running all over the place, a single memory or a passing thought can suddenly overwhelm you out of nowhere, and focusing on a completely unrelated issue like a basketball game is the hardest thing to do.

Don't try to suggest Thomas is under any obligation to play tonight, whether to honor his sister or for any other reason.  This is very probably the single biggest shock of his life, and the least we can give him is 24 hours (time from the accident to the game) without any pithy, presumptuous implicit suggestions about what his dead sister would want.  That's just insensitive.

i am the original poster-and i guess you missed ,what isaiah wants,what his family wants ,what his teammates want
sorry to disappoint you, when i was 28, i lost my favorite brother 26 leaving two kids
-we had done everything together as kids,he was musical,artistic and athletic everybody loved him
he was lost at sea off a huge modern trawler in a winter storm-just disappeared-i was a ballplayer ,his kids were  and their kids are
there was no way in the world that was meant to be disrespectful
if i had my way i'd call off the game
 i threw a wreath in the ocean at the statue in gloucester mass dedicated to all the fishermen lost at sea and then my old man gave me a roll of money and said go have an irish funeral
i believe you read what you wanted into that  and were as wrong as your assumption about my loss at a similar age as isaiah-
i would have loved to won a game at the garden in his memory rather than at the bottom of a bottle

« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 01:41:01 PM by rollie mass »

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2017, 02:27:59 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Stupid thread.  There's more important things in life then some [dang] game

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2017, 03:06:22 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Pretty ridiculous to speculate on what IT wants or what his sister would've wanted. 

No one knows squat and its fruitless &, IMO, pretty poor taste to speculate.   This should have absolutely zero to do with basketball.

TP.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2017, 03:59:37 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I don't think we should go here folks.   Life and death is more than a game.

Completely agree. The playoffs are irrelevant. This is about people now.

I also agree with the above - this thread is in bad taste.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2017, 04:07:58 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

Plus 1

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2017, 04:51:52 PM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
It's not about what his sister would want, or what Thomas "wants" to do.  It's about what he's able to do.  It's extremely easy for all of us who are personally disaffected to say we would go out and play our best as a tribute, just as it's easy to say you would sacrifice your life for a cause when death isn't on the horizon.  But that's just not how it works when you are actually living it out.

I'm willing to bet the person raising this question of "what would his sister want" has never suffered an unexpected family member loss.  When that happens, your emotions are running all over the place, a single memory or a passing thought can suddenly overwhelm you out of nowhere, and focusing on a completely unrelated issue like a basketball game is the hardest thing to do.

Don't try to suggest Thomas is under any obligation to play tonight, whether to honor his sister or for any other reason.  This is very probably the single biggest shock of his life, and the least we can give him is 24 hours (time from the accident to the game) without any pithy, presumptuous implicit suggestions about what his dead sister would want.  That's just insensitive.

In hindsight this seems like an overreaction. Reports are saying Isaiah is playing tonight specifically because it's what his sister would have wanted. He was out taking shots at 3:30. I'm expecting a huge night from him.

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2017, 04:56:11 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526

Plus 1

You guys are pretty tough.  OP did not have bad intentions.  While speculation of what ITs sister wants is fruitless as we can't know, it's possible that IT and his family would take into account their thoughts about her wishes and it may provide them some comfort and distraction.  I think we all know that no one can tell another how to grieve or how to respond to tragedy -- and I don't think the OP was trying to judgr or preach, he just voiced a thought. 

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2017, 05:20:30 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Plus 1

You guys are pretty tough.  OP did not have bad intentions.  While speculation of what ITs sister wants is fruitless as we can't know, it's possible that IT and his family would take into account their thoughts about her wishes and it may provide them some comfort and distraction.  I think we all know that no one can tell another how to grieve or how to respond to tragedy -- and I don't think the OP was trying to judgr or preach, he just voiced a thought.

I'm sorry, but not every thought needs to be voiced. This is a delicate time for IT and his family.  Yes, we are fans and may ultimately want the best for them, but we should give them the space and respect they deserve.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2017, 05:33:40 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Plus 1

I agree. Anyone who regularly reads Rollie's posts knows that being insensitive and disrespectful is not his style, and I'm sure he meant no harm.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2017, 05:48:57 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Yeah seriously.  Express your condolences and stay out of everything else we have no clue about.

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2017, 08:10:39 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
even isaiah said it, my intentions were not out of some morbid fascination but that she would want him to after all the years of work and put downs to honor her memory by playing-
i thought that is what his family would say and win or lose wyc should have a private jet to take him home
matter of fact its late here and i'm going to sleep
i was accused of never having lost someone like that -well i did same age as isaiah but a brother
this situation is mentioned everywhere and you think my attempt at a rhetorical question  disrespectfull
wasn't that moment of silence with lights out after that rendition of star spangled banner a heart warming touch--
 i somehow manufactured a sense of quilt-i don't know how many times and ways it was said that my brother would not want me feeling like that
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 10:44:23 AM by rollie mass »