Author Topic: what would his sister want  (Read 3415 times)

what would his sister want
« on: April 16, 2017, 05:39:20 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
i think isaiah will dedicate his playing to his sister as she will always be a part of his success
brad will have a big part in brokering  what isaiah wants to do,what his family wants for him and what his teammates want for isaiah-

Re: what would his sister want
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 05:47:57 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Isaiah's going to do what he has to do. Only he knows what that's going to be. Judging by the fierce competitor that he is, I tend to agree that he's the type to play for his sister. But we really have no idea how he reacts to tragedy, and all we can do as fans is continue to support him regardless of what he needs to do.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 06:39:13 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
You can't put yourself in their shoes - - their personal histories and family culture are unique to them.  How they decide is their business of course and I have no hopes or expectations.  The parents' anguish on a day they were probably anticipating with great pride must feel like the cruelest reversal of fortune imaginable.

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 10:05:03 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't think we should go here folks.   Life and death is more than a game.

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 10:09:14 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
is what it is, and it's IT's decision and the team will deal with whatever that is.

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 10:22:26 AM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
If IT does play today I hope he avoids the media.  As a Celtics fan I want to see him out there, but this is so much bigger than basketball.  He will make his decision and have support no matter what.

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 10:57:23 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137

For once, I don't care if he plays.

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 11:28:12 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Come on guys speculation about his lost one were better than this we should close this
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 11:28:36 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I think he'll play, and I selfishly hope he does, but it's not my place to speculate on his relationships, what his sister would want, etc. Completely his business and he has no obligation to play a game at a time like this.

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 11:33:55 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Agreed.  And after giving it more thought, I'm not sure it would even be healthy for him to play today.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 11:50:54 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Source at ESPN said yesterday he wanted to play today and unless he wakes up with a change of heart, he will play

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 11:51:17 AM »

Offline Tinman

• Drew Peterson
  • Tommy Points: 0
It's not about what his sister would want, or what Thomas "wants" to do.  It's about what he's able to do.  It's extremely easy for all of us who are personally disaffected to say we would go out and play our best as a tribute, just as it's easy to say you would sacrifice your life for a cause when death isn't on the horizon.  But that's just not how it works when you are actually living it out.

I'm willing to bet the person raising this question of "what would his sister want" has never suffered an unexpected family member loss.  When that happens, your emotions are running all over the place, a single memory or a passing thought can suddenly overwhelm you out of nowhere, and focusing on a completely unrelated issue like a basketball game is the hardest thing to do.

Don't try to suggest Thomas is under any obligation to play tonight, whether to honor his sister or for any other reason.  This is very probably the single biggest shock of his life, and the least we can give him is 24 hours (time from the accident to the game) without any pithy, presumptuous implicit suggestions about what his dead sister would want.  That's just insensitive.

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 12:12:22 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I'm not saying if he should or shouldn't play. That is an individual, and personal choice. Either choice is the correct one for him.

However, the little I know of this man, I have a feeling he'll want to play. I can't say how effective he'll be, and I can't say exactly why I feel this way...it has to do with his never wanting to give in, and what he's overcome in his life. Isaiah Thomas is the kind of guy you want in a foxhole next to you. Either way, I'm fine with his decision.

When I lost a loved one...I was physically and mentally paralyzed with grief.  Good luck to you IT.

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 12:39:47 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Pretty ridiculous to speculate on what IT wants or what his sister would've wanted. 

No one knows squat and its fruitless &, IMO, pretty poor taste to speculate.   This should have absolutely zero to do with basketball.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2017, 12:49:08 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Probably to be living