Author Topic: Is this the first time  (Read 1705 times)

Is this the first time
« on: April 15, 2017, 07:20:30 PM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
In NBA history that the 2,3,4,5,6 seed are better than the #1 seed? Sorry but this team just has too many holes. It's a nice story and they shouldn't be here but don't fall for the hype of the #1 seed. This team does not match up well with the teams 2-6 seed. I think they get bounced in the second round. Ainge had a chance to get a nice piece in Ibaka, who is exactly what they needed for this team, but even Ainge knew this team wasn't good enough even with making moves. You can call me a non fan I'm just looking at this taking my fan boy glasses off. Hope I'm wrong but I have seen this team get exposed a lot this season. Cavs could care less about 1 seed. Lowry getting hurt didn't help Toronto. Milwaukee is coming into form and showed they can beat the C's they don't match up well with them. Atlanta spanked them a few weeks ago. I just don't see it.

Re: Is this the first time
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2017, 07:32:51 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
I had similar concerns so I went and crunched some numbers.

Turna out that we actually won more games than all of the other teams in the Eastern Conference.

I don't know if there is any correlation between this and the arbitrarily assigned 1 seed, but this year that's how it turned out. Crazy stuff.

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 07:38:57 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
We are 1st means we are the best team in east, plain and simple
It's just some team match up better than us

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 07:39:39 PM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
Lol yea the Cavs cared about getting the number 1 seed. Seeding doesn't matter. Teams 2-6 any of those teams it wouldn't be shocking if they beat the Celtics. A number 1 seed should be able to roll the 4,5, or 6th seed. No one would be shocked if the Celtics lost to Cleveland, Toronto, Whashington, Atlanta, or Milwaukee. That's my point. It should be shocking to lose to most of those seeds if you are a 1 seed. I bet if you look back the numbers show high the number 1 seed at least gets to the conference finals.

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 07:42:07 PM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
We are 1st means we are the best team in east, plain and simple
It's just some team match up better than us

Being the #1 seed doesn't make them the best team in the East. Regular season means nothing once the playoffs start. I guess with your logic if they don't make the NBA finals then they underachieved and it would be a disappointment.

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 07:46:03 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
Lol yea the Cavs cared about getting the number 1 seed. Seeding doesn't matter. Teams 2-6 any of those teams it wouldn't be shocking if they beat the Celtics. A number 1 seed should be able to roll the 4,5, or 6th seed. No one would be shocked if the Celtics lost to Cleveland, Toronto, Whashington, Atlanta, or Milwaukee. That's my point. It should be shocking to lose to most of those seeds if you are a 1 seed. I bet if you look back the numbers show high the number 1 seed at least gets to the conference finals.
There is a difference between
"It wouldn't be shocking if [the 4 5 or 6 seed] beat the Celtics" and saying the 2-6 seeds are better than us.

We are a weak 1 seed for sure, but there isn't much evidence that we are worse than those 5 teams.

Pretty much every metric has us better than Washington Atlanta and Milwaukee and a pretty key metric (wins) has us better than toronto and Cleveland too..

It's fair to say we are 3rd best. I believe we are about even with Toronto.

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 08:00:55 PM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
There is a difference between
"It wouldn't be shocking if [the 4 5 or 6 seed] beat the Celtics" and saying the 2-6 seeds are better than us.

We are a weak 1 seed for sure, but there isn't much evidence that we are worse than those 5 teams.

Pretty much every metric has us better than Washington Atlanta and Milwaukee and a pretty key metric (wins) has us better than toronto and Cleveland too..

It's fair to say we are 3rd best. I believe we are about even with Toronto.

3 teams I don't see them beating are the Cavs, Toronto or Milwaukee. The Bucks are quietly becoming one of the best teams in the East  and if they can get Parker back next year they will be even better. It hurts to watch Giannis play knowing the C's could have had him but selected Olynk instead. Atlanta and Washington the C's could beat but again I wouldn't be shocked if they lose to them either. Again if you told me 3 years ago they would win 52 games 3 years later I would have then said who did they trade for? The fact they have made no major trades yet and have all of their picks the future is certainly bright. These playoffs are house money IMO after the first round.

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 08:05:47 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
The Hawks and Bucks are not better than this team, sorry.

You can make a case for 2-4 however. But playoff seeding isn't a popularity contest, it's how you finish the regular season.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 08:07:53 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
all this means is that there is parity in the East. There is no metric that says the 1st seed must beat the 2-6 or even 2-8 seeded teams. It all depends on the relative strength of teams in the league. What separates a 1 seed from a 8 seed depends on the parity in the league and not the seeding of the teams. Fact is someone has to be 1 and someone has to be 8. The distance between those teams is another matter.

Finally, some teams do better in playoff setting than round robin league play. I have always believed that there should be two trophies. One for the team with the best regular season record, and another for the team that wins the playoffs. As far as I am concerned the two competitions require different skillset and preparation.

The Celtics won the regular season in the East. All teams started 0-0 if I recall correctly. You need to rest players for the playoff competition? That is on you.

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2017, 08:08:20 PM »

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

The Cavs certainly looked like world beaters today.

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 08:11:33 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

Turna out that we actually won more games than all of the other teams in the Eastern Conference.

I don't know if there is any correlation between this and the arbitrarily assigned 1 seed, but this year that's how it turned out. Crazy stuff.

TP, thanks for the number crunching.
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2017, 08:26:00 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

TP for the research and info. Interesting stuff.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2017, 09:20:35 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486

TP. Have you alerted the council of scientific elders? This level of reasoning mustnt go unnoticed.
#JKJB

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2017, 09:29:30 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Advanced analytics FTW.

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 09:40:41 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
The irony in this post. Didn't you see how the Bucks dismantled the Raptors with Ibaka and Lowry on the team? LOL

You're quick to excuse other teams for sucking it out but no room for the C's when they haven't even played a single playoff game yet.