Author Topic: Jackson confirms the Knicks will try and trade Melo  (Read 7690 times)

Re: Jackson confirms the Knicks will try and trade Melo
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2017, 09:58:03 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
anyone wanting Anthony here doesn't get it, apparently hasn't watched basketball the last 10 plus yrs., and I seriously question them as a Celtics fan.

he's arguably had better talent around him than pierce ever did before the big 3 era and he did nothing with it. while pierce took guys like Jiri welsch to the playoffs. sure the east was weak but outside of a couple teams since melo's been in NY the east hasn't been much better. and this waste of talent couldn't even sniff a 7th or 8th seed.

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2017, 10:20:47 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Phil is looking more and more incompetent with that presser. Give him Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant/Shaq and he wins. Anyone less than that- no championships. New York should be so much better than they have been. I don't see how Carmelo gets all the blame and Phil slides.

As for Melo, I have no interest for the Celtics. He would fit in better with a more mature team. I also think he's going to have to take a haircut to deliver value to a team. I'm not sure how many want him to be their front-line star at this point.

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2017, 01:29:04 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
in this case between melo and phil, both are equal in blame. phil just isn't a gm and melo is a superstar only because of his reputation in college and high draft pick status.

if phil was the coach and probably younger the whole scenario may have played out differently. the one thing that many forget what makes a "great NBA coach"(...esp. Celtics fans) isn't their X's & O's and "knowledge" of the game, IT'S THEIR ABILITY TO MANAGE THE PERSONALITIES OF GROWN MEN MAKING MILLIONS THAT HAVE NO REASON TO LISTEN TO ANYONE. phil Jackson could do that... remember he won a title with essentially the same roster that del harris couldn't do anything with.

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2017, 01:37:33 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
melo is a superstar only because of his reputation in college and high draft pick status.
is this as joke?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2017, 01:41:05 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Déjà-vu, effing hell.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2017, 01:42:13 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
anyone wanting Anthony here doesn't get it, apparently hasn't watched basketball the last 10 plus yrs., and I seriously question them as a Celtics fan.

he's arguably had better talent around him than pierce ever did before the big 3 era and he did nothing with it. while pierce took guys like Jiri welsch to the playoffs. sure the east was weak but outside of a couple teams since melo's been in NY the east hasn't been much better. and this waste of talent couldn't even sniff a 7th or 8th seed.
The fact that Melo is no longer as good as a 24-28 year old Paul Pierce does not mean we shouldnt want him.

When he had talent on his team, Melo made the playoffs. Once as a 2 seed. Lets not forget, the "talent" he had was the corpse of Amare Stoudemire, a very old Tyson Chandler, JR Smith and the corpse of Chauncy Billups.

Not a great squad.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2017, 02:23:42 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
How about this trade?

After the C's sign a free agent this summer with their cap space they send:

Olynyk
Jerebko
Zeller
Mickey
Jackson
Young
+2018 Celtics pick or 2019 Clippers pick

Receive: Carmelo

You get rid of some flotsam in Jerebko, Zeller, Mickey and Phil can cut those guys and sell this as getting a solid sixth man in Olynyk, two promising guards in Young and Jackson who just need playing time, plus a first round pick.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=m9f3uze

I'd do this also because it makes room on the roster for Zizic, Yabusele, Nader, 2017 Nets pick, and the new free agent acquisition.

That's six players going out and six players (including Anthony) coming in.

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2017, 02:58:07 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Melo...

a) His best attribute has always been scoring, and he was 22nd in the league this year with the worst efficiency in the top 30. 22 points on 19 shots in an era where we almost had two guys average a triple double, and 13 guys averaged 25+.

b) He's on the decline at 33 years old. It's not getting better from here.

c) He's a lousy defender and his team is openly dumping him.

d) He makes over $26M each of the next two years.

I wouldn't TAKE him for cap space and a 2nd rounder unless I could tear up his contract (which we can't).

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2017, 03:24:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Melo...

a) His best attribute has always been scoring, and he was 22nd in the league this year with the worst efficiency in the top 30. 22 points on 19 shots in an era where we almost had two guys average a triple double, and 13 guys averaged 25+.

I wouldn't TAKE him for cap space and a 2nd rounder unless I could tear up his contract (which we can't).
after this summer Boston wont have cap space anyway (unless you let evetyone go) so if you strike out in free agency you don't lose much by acquiring Anthony into it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2017, 03:46:12 PM »

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Melo...

after this summer Boston wont have cap space anyway (unless you let evetyone go) so if you strike out in free agency you don't lose much by acquiring Anthony into it.
We lose ball movement, lockeroom chemistry and defense

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2017, 03:46:47 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
The Knicks should try to dump Jackson, along with Melo. The Zen masters incredible luck has just about run out.

He built the Knicks in accordance with the short window he personally has of being the GM, and the fans and ownership are paying for it.

I think Melo can be stolen from the Knicks, unfortunately his contract comes with him. 

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2017, 03:49:11 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The only knick I want is porzingis. Considering knicks see likely to blow up the team, we should kick the tires on kp and check what they're open to trading

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2017, 03:53:25 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Melo...

One of the most tired arguments I've ever used against Melo.

Yes his efficiency was terrible this year, did you also take a gander at the roster?

So who's going to score on that team? Rose is just as bad as holding onto the ball, and besides KP/Rose, there wasn't that much scorers on the floor.

He also hovered around 2.9 APG. Which would've honestly been like top 5 in our team, and probably would've been higher if he was slotted into Brad Steven's system.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2017, 05:35:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Melo...

One of the most tired arguments I've ever used against Melo.

Yes his efficiency was terrible this year, did you also take a gander at the roster?

So who's going to score on that team? Rose is just as bad as holding onto the ball, and besides KP/Rose, there wasn't that much scorers on the floor.

He also hovered around 2.9 APG. Which would've honestly been like top 5 in our team, and probably would've been higher if he was slotted into Brad Steven's system.
he is also a much better defender at PF then he is at SF.  And heven has always had a respectable AST%.  And locker room issues. I mean come on Anthony is incredibly well liked
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2017, 06:02:30 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen

The fact that Melo is no longer as good as a 24-28 year old Paul Pierce does not mean we shouldnt want him.

When he had talent on his team, Melo made the playoffs. Once as a 2 seed. Lets not forget, the "talent" he had was the corpse of Amare Stoudemire, a very old Tyson Chandler, JR Smith and the corpse of Chauncy Billups.

Not a great squad.

melo was never as good as pierce. and i'm the most non-homer fan you'll find.

that knicks squad you mentioned was better than anything pierce had prior to the big 3. and the east was very weak then, just like when pierce was taking scrubs to the playoffs.